Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for Pub in City Centre?

Options
  • 01-06-2008 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a suitable venue for a group on a Wednesday night which have:
    • no live / piped music
    • comfy seating
    • opens till around MIdnight
    • suitable for having a conversation

The pub will be for a group of post movie goers to have a chat over a drink (group details in my sig)

Can anyone suggest somewhere suitable? preferably within walking distance of The Savoy (O'Connel St) / Cineworld (Parnell St) / Screen (D'Olier St)

Alternatively, are there any other places (cafe's etc.) which would be good and open that late...
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

The Flowing Tide on the corner of Abbey St and Marlborough St (opposite Luas stop) is grand for a nice pint and some conversation. No piped music that I remember. Would be handy after the Savoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

I think the Stag's Head or the Long Hall would be ok, don't remember them having piped music.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

O'Neills Pearse Street. Not sure about piped music, but has plenty of space and IMO is a fine spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Thanks, I'm going to give these a quick looksee tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

The Duke on Duke Street would be suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

The Bank on dame street has no piped music

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The Bridge on Westmoreland Street never had music any time I went in there during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

The Market Bar doesn't play any music and it's supposed to be quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Conways was always my pub of choice for cinema outings...

But for some strange reason it seems to be closed these days.

A lot of the suggestions so far aren't very central for the purpose intended here though.

I'd recommend the Oval on Middle Abbey Street. While it does have piped music it's still just fine for having a conversation in and I use it for meetings regularly.

Always easy to get plenty of seats upstairs.

Of course, there is always the Sackville Lounge which is a nice quiet bar, but it is a bit small.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Conways was always my pub of choice for cinema outings...

But for some strange reason it seems to be closed these days.

i noticed that last week. what has happened to conways? does anyone know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yep... it always seemed to be doing a brisk business to me... plus they had a little bit of a music venue upstairs that always seemed to have something on.

Real shame as it was quite a historical pub... a scene from the Snapper was filmed there.... eh... and maybe it had some connection to the 1916 rising..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Conways was bought by the guys who are planning the new shopping centre on O'Connell Street, it'll form part of that. The guys who owned it are now in the courts arguing over who's entitled to what

OP, the new part of Lotts, off Liffey Street, would be suitable. Not sure if there's absolutely no music but it's background stuff at most. It's where my mates and I go after The Savoy/dinner in Bar Italia

Advertisement