Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Browns Schooldays

Options
  • 01-06-2008 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Anyone read it? It's awesome

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

No, but I am currently reading a Flashman novel - see other thread in the forum.

Apparently Flashman is the bully from Tom Browns school days?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭randomguy

Sitting on a shelf here - have read it a couple of times, but not in years

I remember it being much better than I expected, more complex and involving. Would also recommend the Flashman novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭randomguy

BossArky wrote: »
    Apparently Flashman is the bully from Tom Browns school days?

Yeah, he is. Don't want to ruin the ending, but the message is that ultimately Great Britain is built on the values of Tom Brown - trustworthy, honourable, patriotic, loyal, sportsmanlike etc, in contrast to sneering, cowardly Flashman (even the names give you the idea).

Which is why the Flashman novels are such a good idea - he's saying that in reality it was the Flashmans who got on in life, and who built the empire etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Oh wow, I hated this book so much. Pedagogical, Victorian moralising rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 vale

I agree I despised it too - so depressing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement