Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine coolant leakage ??

Options
  • 01-06-2008 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

The rubber pipe between the coolant reservoir and the electric fan has cracked on the upper side, and the coolant has been lost/evaporated. I badly need the car tomorrow, Toyota Carina. Will it be ok if I just replace the coolant and run the car tomorrow for about 60 miles ?? Or should I wait and bring it to a garage on Tuesday regardless ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Jaysus, be careful. If the coolant is p1ssing out then there's no point in driving it - you'll just destroy the engine if it overheats. If the coolant leak is gradual, then you might get away with driving it.

If you do have to drive it, don't fill with coolant, just use water until you fix the problem. Keep a couple of 2 litre bottles of tap water with you in case you suddenly need to top up. If you do have to top up en route, be careful as the coolant will be extremely hot.

Best advice is don't drive it if you're in anyway unsure. If you roast that engine you'll effectively write off the Carina.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

crosstownk wrote: »
    Jaysus, be careful. If the coolant is p1ssing out then there's no point in driving it - you'll just destroy the engine if it overheats. If the coolant leak is gradual, then you might get away with driving it.

If you do have to drive it, don't fill with coolant, just use water until you fix the problem. Keep a couple of 2 litre bottles of tap water with you in case you suddenly need to top up. If you do have to top up en route, be careful as the coolant will be extremely hot.

Best advice is don't drive it if you're in anyway unsure. If you roast that engine you'll effectively write off the Carina.

As the poster above says be very careful....

Can you post a picture where it is cracked and some people here might be able to give you some advise....

what diameter is the pipe which is split? can you cut it back and rejoin it?

from memory i can't picture the carina e, but if its like the carina 2 the little tube going from the expansion bottle to the radiator is not under any pressure, its used to allow the coolant expand when the system is hot, then suck the water back in when the system is cold....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Well ..if that pipe isn't under pressure and you absolutely have to drive, you might try and wrap the pipe in several layers of strong duct tape as a provisional fix to cover the 60 miles.

But do keep an eye on the temperature gague and do check the water level frequently.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it though. A sudden loss of lots of coolant (because the tape didn't hold) in a spot where you can't stop immediatedly might just cost you your engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭nicker_s

You really have to make sure the engine has cooled down before you check the level or top it up, and when you do open it use a rag of some sort to make sure you don't get burnt by the steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

my car doesn't seem to use any coolant at all. its been at the same level for months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Cars aren't supposed to use coolant! :D They can only lose it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭DublinDes

Thanks everyone for your advice. Have'nt driven it since. When i opened the engine when I got it home, didn't have any steam rising or excessive heat coming from the engine. Mechanic coming to look at it today, says I may have blown the gasket. If I have blown the gasket, ( I have a hunch I have'nt as I didn't drive it far to get home when I noticed the temp. gauge ) - is that expensive ??

Advertisement