Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore Beach

• 01-06-2008 8:04pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone see the state of Tramore beach today after everybody left due to the rain? There was bucket loads of rubbish thrown all over the place, or left in small piles!

Hardly anybody took their rubbish with them, they just left it there! I dont think it gets cleaned up until Tuesday due to the council not working over the bank holiday so its going to look awful when the weather picks up and tourists go down for walks. It gets washed out to see when the tide comes in I suppose but that doesnt make it any better - it just pollutes the sea.

I didnt get to see the state of outside the chippers and arcades as traffic was mad at the time I was down there.

Perhaps its time the council invested in some bins along the beach as you see in other countries?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Tbh, the way beaches are left is generally disgraceful.

I'd be for a litter warden to be on beach duty all summer. And as for dog sh*te...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

There were two lads down there picking up rubbish today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 nateireann

One thing is true: it wasn´t me!! As soon as I sat down it began to rain so I left, I didn´t have any time to throw rubbish there.

And, in my opinion, the problem is not the lack of bins, is the manners, in Spain we might have bins but anyway, people throw the rubbish in the beach. Bad-mannered people don´t care about this kind of staff, I have been told that there are countries where you can get a fine if you throw the wrapping of your chewing gum in the street, and citizens tell you off if they see you doing that.

It is so easy to take a bag from home and put the rubbish there...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Well the prom and all surroudning areas is a complete mess... up by the caravan parks small bags of rubbish and chip bags line both sides of the street. The prom and pavillion is covered in some weird material (I thought it might be chips but if it is, someone poured a ****e load of chips on the ground).

The two lads go around doing a basic clean up, they are hired for the summer months along with a parking warden to fine cars without a ticket. There is no way in hell they can do a job that a team of people should be doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

Sully wrote: »

Hardly anybody took their rubbish with them, they just left it there! quote]

did you approach these people and point out to them that they are breaking the law littering tramore beach ?

not much can be done raising the point on an internet forum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

daftdave wrote: »

Hardly anybody took their rubbish with them, they just left it there! quote]

did you approach these people and point out to them that they are breaking the law littering tramore beach ?

not much can be done raising the point on an internet forum.

The whole beach was destroyed with rubbish and when I arrived everybody had left the beach due to the rain. Regardless, if I said it to anyone you can guarntee abuse will be thrown.

A lot can be done raising it on the forum and regardless, this is a discussion forum. That point could be said about a lot of recent discussion on this board!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

there was like totally these guys there and they were like littering and we were like no way but like they kept doing it and we were like no way but they were like uh huh and then we were like oh no but they were like so huh? and we told like this guy who u know like had authority but like his hands were tied and like the other guy was things things the things
    this totally happened like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

...A lot can be done raising it on the forum...

I'm sorry, but that's utter bullsh*t Sully. Not much can be done by raising it on an internet forum. You will get a few people who will agree or disagree with you and thats about it.
    If you wanted to do something about it, then you should have called all your friends, grabbed a few black sacks and some gloves and gone to clean the beach.

Minto wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but that's utter bullsh*t Sully. Not much can be done by raising it on an internet forum. You will get a few people who will agree or disagree with you and thats about it.
    If you wanted to do something about it, then you should have called all your friends, grabbed a few black sacks and some gloves and gone to clean the beach.

You would be very surprised Minto. Its like going on radio and complaining about the beach. Powers that be do often read Boards, whether it be councillors or the press. Boards has got plenty of coverage in the past with different topics and raised further awareness to an issue. Iv seen councillors refer to what they heard on radio or an internet forum. Its just one of the many different methods where you can raise a point, discuss it and be heard.

Regardless of whether complaining online or not does nothing - is this not a discussion forum? Whats the point in complaining about ANYTHING on a forum?

Tramore's prospects of having a Blue Flag Beach next year are looking promising

Hopefully rubbish won't damage this all summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

the annoying thing about this is that the people who do the littering will probably be the first to tell everyone that about the state of the beach and give out about the council :mad:

the council have their part to play but they can't stop people who don't give a **** and not clean up after themselves. the funds are simply not there to properly enforce littering laws and to clean up.

if the people who go to the beach had more respect than maybe it wouldn't get into such poor states.

Well I was at the council meeting and it seems most people thought the place looked great - so my guess is the mess was cleaned up pretty quickly :)

Well there was a giant teddy which was ripped open on Sunday afternoon (thats what all the white stuff on the prom was) and it was still there on Monday night, the beach didnt seem any cleaner either

I've never been to a town council meeting but the don't by any chance sit around puffing cigars and talking about how great they are do they?

Who ripped up the teddy and was there a particular reason besides foolishness?!

Nah just some of the councillors and the mayor sit around a table and discuss different issues on the agenda about the town. Iv only been to two, but I will probably continue going. I was invited to speak at the one just gone, which is where they praised the cleaners for doing an excellent job and said the place never looked so good. I just assumed the place was cleaned up the next morning.

The sand dunes were part of this meeting and the town manager spoke with some people who were regular users and they said its always kept clean. *shrrugs*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭JMcL

The sand dunes were part of this meeting and the town manager spoke with some people who were regular users and they said its always kept clean. *shrrugs*

The dunes for the most part are grand, with the occasional exception of the nearest end. The gob****es who don't give a damn usually don't like walking that far, and it's now been made more difficult for them to drive down in their 4x4s. The disgusting area is around the promenade and a bit beyond. It's not unusual to see discarded nappies lying around. I usually avoid during the summer months and stick to the backstrand - it's too depressing.

Who ripped up the teddy and was there a particular reason besides foolishness?!

Nah just some of the councillors and the mayor sit around a table and discuss different issues on the agenda about the town. Iv only been to two, but I will probably continue going. I was invited to speak at the one just gone, which is where they praised the cleaners for doing an excellent job and said the place never looked so good. I just assumed the place was cleaned up the next morning.

Don't know I just saw it lying there

They look like they go around with their heads up in the clouds so, the cleaners might be working hard but if people continue to litter as much as they do then we'd need 20 cleaners

It certainly wasnt any way clean on Saturday, Sunday or Monday last weekend

Advertisement