Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

problem with my Volkswagan polo

Options
  • 01-06-2008 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hey, ok got a problem with my Volkswagan polo (1L 1997). I suddenly found there is a loss of power in the car and there is a loud sqealling noise coming from somewhere under the bonnet. Any ideas what it is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Loss of power could be a number of things, dodgy plug lead, faulty engine temp sensor, blocked/broken catalytic convertor, faulty lambda probe, etc, etc.

Did the squeal happen at the same time as the power loss or did one symptom show before the other?

If the two happened together, then you may have a worn clutch :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

My crystal ball says: something's wrong with your car :D

Show it to a mechanic, I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sickami

i think it might be something wrong with the car

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

Ya i have realised that there is something wrong :o. There was a light squelling, like a belt or something, when the power loss occered it got alot louder. I just wanted to get an idea before i brought it to a mechanic

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It could be so many things ...but power loss is never good, especially when accompanied by strange noises and it could very well be something serious (a broken water pump for example)

If I were you, I wouldn't drive it any further than the nearest mechanic, if at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Right,
    Does it squeel when started and not moving?
    Does it idle ok?

We might get to the bottom of this. Some of the above posts are less helpful than usual for some reason.

Advertisement