Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Still think we need to purchase up front in January. If Anelka gets injured I really don't fancy Kalou being up front on his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

I would love to have a robben or a robinho this year.

I would love to have a robben or a robinho this year.

Robihno would have been a fantastic signing for us. Imagine him playing instead of Kalou or Malouda. We would definitely had more creativity up front, which we have been sorely lacking in this season in a lot of matches especially against the bigger clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,828 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

any thoughts on the drogs 3match ban?
    personally i think if they ever find the muppet that threw the coin, they should ban him for life from entering any stadium again.no need for that shoite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

papagormo wrote: »
    any thoughts on the drogs 3match ban?
    personally i think if they ever find the muppet that threw the coin, they should ban him for life from entering any stadium again.no need for that shoite.

And throwing it back should receive the same ban so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Thats actually a valid point Jason. If people call for the fan to be banned why are they looking for it? Because he threw a coin at a player looking to cause harm. Drogba throws it back and don't for a second tell me he was giving it back to him, he was throwing it for the same reason the fan did. Why shouldn't he get the same ban?

I know its ridiculous talking about banning a player for life for this but it should when you think of it be one rule for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

iregk wrote: »
    Thats actually a valid point Jason. If people call for the fan to be banned why are they looking for it? Because he threw a coin at a player looking to cause harm. Drogba throws it back and don't for a second tell me he was giving it back to him, he was throwing it for the same reason the fan did. Why shouldn't he get the same ban?

I know its ridiculous talking about banning a player for life for this but it should when you think of it be one rule for all.

indeed, people can talk about it being retaliatory or provoked, but at the same time there isn't a hope in hell he actually hit the offending fan.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    indeed, people can talk about it being retaliatory or provoked, but at the same time there isn't a hope in hell he actually hit the offending fan.

The chances of the fan hitting a player are very small compared to chances of a player hitting a fan! Drogba may not have hit the fan in question, but more than likely hit someone!

jasonorr wrote: »
    The chances of the fan hitting a player are very small compared to chances of a player hitting a fan! Drogba may not have hit the fan in question, but more than likely hit someone!

absolutely. what i meant was that Drogba was in no way better then the fan who threw it in the first place.

• Advertisement

3 match ban was fair enough, could have been worse.

What are our thoughts on the january transfer window?

Who will come who will go?

Will we have to sell to buy?

I personally would love a 5 star (*****) attacking player like Villa or kaka or even maybe possibly Owen,

Is it time for renato to move on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I think another winger is an absolute must at this stage. Let go off SWP because we thought we'd get Robinho which didn't pan out. Wouldn't mind seeing Jaoquin or Vicente come in from Valencia or getting in Mancini from Inter (not going to happen though). Would also welcome Mutu back as some sort of compromise from the compensation deal. Great playmaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

Going by whats been said wont have too much money to spend in january. I think a winger and a striker but if theres not that much money around it's flip a coin time

We don't need a Striker. We only play 1 up front and we have the top scorer and Drogba. Kalou has also played up there before and then we have Di Santo, Sinclair and Sahar all waiting in the wings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

Bubs101 wrote: »
    We don't need a Striker. We only play 1 up front and we have the top scorer and Drogba. Kalou has also played up there before and then we have Di Santo, Sinclair and Sahar all waiting in the wings

with the way Drogba has been having problems...knee, ban... and Anelka could go on a drought (god forbid) i would like to have another experienced striker - instead of having to rely on the likes of Di Santo Sinclair and Sahar, as for Kalou he's more miss than hit when he plays as a striker

• Advertisement

But you aren't going to get a quality striker to play third fiddle. Pizzaro wouldn't even do it

M.Owen might

M.Owen might

doubt it tbh, doesn't have much left in his career and has already missed so much football through injury, couldn't see him actively agreeing to play exceptionally little football. Being 3rd choice in a 1 striker system would also pretty much call time on his international career, which has always meant a lot to Owen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

This is a huge match ... some fans are getting complacent with Arsenals
    recent run of inconsistent form ... we badly need to get 3 points of a big team and this is our last home game....

I think Chelsea will win it .. but it will be close .. and tough ..
    like last year's game at the bridge.

Our problems now seem to be the opposite of years back .. we could get
    results out of big teams .. but the minnows caused us trouble...

jackdaw wrote: »
    This is a huge match ... some fans are getting complacent with Arsenals
    recent run of inconsistent form ... we badly need to get 3 points of a big team and this is our last home game....

I think Chelsea will win it .. but it will be close .. and tough ..
    like last year's game at the bridge.

Our problems now seem to be the opposite of years back .. we could get
    results out of big teams .. but the minnows caused us trouble...

I think it will be a draw personally...Arsenal going ahead, as usual getting my hopes up and then undoubtedly conceding towards the end of the match. Form goes out the window for these matches, it's all about desire!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

I personally would love a 5 star (*****) attacking player like Villa or kaka or even maybe possibly Owen,

Is it time for renato to move on?

Forget Villa and Kaka! We should go for Aguero from Atletico Madrid. Might be a bit expensive in January though, might have to wait until the summer. Real are also interested in him...

Regarding a winger, Wish we hadn't let Robben go!
    I think a top striker is more important now, I'd like to see Scotty SInclair given a go out wide. He's been impressive any time I've seen him play.

morning all,
    anybody hear lamps cud poss be injured?he was marked as a doubt yesterday,wonder if he'l play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

I'm so pissed off ....

I get so frustrated watching games when the visiting team just is here for a 0-0 draw...

I really hope Newcastle are relagated now ...

And i apologise to Chelsea fans ... I watched the game and could have jinxed it cos i watched it in a pub where Chelsea always do **** when i watch em there....

:mad:

Just saw the highlights this evening. From what I saw we were terribly unlucky on a number of occasions. Anelka seemed to be causing them all sort of problems. Can't blame Ballack for missing he hasn't had much football lately.
    I'm not sure if the ball had gone over the line but it seemed that quite a bit of it was. Today was a real chance to start gaining points over Liverpool.

We missed agreat opportunity today, could have gone ten clear of united and gained 2 points on liverpool,

still considering our draw we got out of jail with the other results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

iregk wrote: »
    Drogba throws it back and don't for a second tell me he was giving it back to him,

What? I don't think anybody would claim that unless they were joking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Will Ivanovic see much more time in a Cheslea shirt? Looks a bargain at 5.0m in fantasy football, but surely he's only in because of injuries? What y'all reckon?

so is everybody confident of anelka doing the business for us against the gunners?

no, never confident with anelka, but we will see.

No. Have confidence in Anelka but not against the top 3. Bottled against United big style

• Advertisement

Hands up If you would like to sign Adriano in January?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

The only striker I wanna see come in is Aguero, thank you very much.

So who do we think should be on the shortlist for January.

For a start we can forget about Aguero. Not a chance of him leaving in January.
    I'm doutful Adriano would be a decent signing for us but I have to say I wouldn't mind if we signed him if no one else was available.
    Klas Van Huntelaar should definitley given a serious look.

For me though the player we really need is Lukus Podolski. I think he would be a fantastic signing for us and he would easily fit in 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 or even 4-5-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

I'm doutful Adriano would be a decent signing for us but I have to say I wouldn't mind if we signed him if no one else was available.

For me though the player we really need is Lukus Podolski. I think he would be a fantastic signing for us and he would easily fit in 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 or even 4-5-1.

The thing about Podolski is, he's much better as the small fish in a big pond (much like Santa Cruz). He was amazing at Köln but it hasn't worked out for him at all in Munich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

I remember reading awhile ago that Peter Kenyon doesnt believe Chelsea will be active at all in the January transfer market. There we go found the article, has there been more developments on this that I have missed?
    Peter Kenyon, Chelsea's chief executive, says the club will not be buying any players in January because Luiz Felipe Scolari already has a squad capable of winning the Premier League.

"It's our intention to put our squad together at the start of the season. I don't see us being active in the January window. I don't think there is a need, unless that changes through events like injuries," he said.

"We see ourselves as being very focused on getting the title back. From where I am sitting the Premier League is more competitive than last year. I know it sometimes looks predictable but I can promise you it is not.

"We have a squad that is good enough, arguably the best squad in depth, and Luiz has the ability to get the best out of that. Luiz has had a fantastic start and had a big impact - top of the league and top of our group in Europe."

Kenyon believes Chelsea are close to becoming a going concern without the financial support of their Russian oligarch owner Roman Abramovich. "We are moving towards profitability and independent funding," he said. "It is not a precise science. We have invested heavily in facilities and next year we will be self-funding from a club and company point of view given how much money we have spent."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/oct/25/chelsea-premierleague1

I really think we need to strengthen and if we don't we won't win the league or the Champions league. Scolari knows he needs to strengthen but I wouldn't be suprised if we he isn't given anything to spend. With Drogba's future uncertain we really need to bolster our attack.

Just look at the season Santa Cruz had last year. If Podolski was as good as thay I'd be happy

Wow 6 pages down, thats not good.

So what do ye think will happen to night? Will we be able to beat Cluj and advance.
    I think that we will win quite comfortably if we play anyway decent. It was a tough match over there but it should be a different story tonight. Hopefully Deco and Anelka will continue on from the weekend. Drogba available tonight I presume?

I wish Mourinho managed our home matches, and scolari our away ones.

I really think we need to strengthen and if we don't we won't win the league or the Champions league.
    +1

We have the best defence and midfield in the league by far.

We're just desperately in need of a world class striker, and a decent quality winger.
    If we had gotten Robinho, and held on to SWP, we would have won everything this year!

If we had £15M to spend in Jan, I'd buy Lennon from Spurs for £10M, and Owen for whatever's left over.

• Advertisement

That's not what's wrong at all. Scolari just hasn't figured out how to beat the top 4 and it'll cost us the league, probably has already. We have 3 away matches to Man Utd, Pool and Arsenal in the next hal which I can't see us getting much out of and if we can't beat the top 4 in England and got demolished by Roma in Rome we haven't a hope in Europe. Hopefully Scolari can get it sorted

Bubs101 wrote: »
    That's not what's wrong at all. Scolari just hasn't figured out how to beat the top 4 and it'll cost us the league, probably has already. We have 3 away matches to Man Utd, Pool and Arsenal in the next hal which I can't see us getting much out of and if we can't beat the top 4 in England and got demolished by Roma in Rome we haven't a hope in Europe. Hopefully Scolari can get it sorted

I don't see yer inability to beat the top 4 as a hinderence for ye in the league as generally yer very consistent against the rest of the league, while the rest of the top 4 aren't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

jasonorr wrote: »
    I don't see yer inability to beat the top 4 as a hinderence for ye in the league as generally yer very consistent against the rest of the league, while the rest of the top 4 aren't!

+1

Ive said from the start that I think we'll win the league and I still do, because we're doing so well against weaker teams, so any result at all in the remaining matches against the big 3 will do. Having said that, people seem to be forgetting that we're missing (IMO) our 2 most important players in Essien & Drogba, not to mention arguably the best defender at the club,Carvalho. When the annual injury crisis is over things will be back to normal.
    I still doubt we'll win the champions league though, the way we've performed against the big clubs so far this season hasnt impressed me at all, so asking for a result in the quarters, semis & final may be a bit optimistic.

There's no way Drogba is one of out top 2 players, Anelka has more than stepped up. Essien is a big loss but in the long term Mikel playing is a great thing. Carvalho is irreplacable. Alex is too similar to Terry and Mancienne is still on loan.

Generally speaking, the team with the best record against the top 4 wins the league and if not, the winner has a decent record against them. We have 1 point out of 9 with no home games left. If you ship those kinds of points to your title rivals you're asking for trouble. Also, we have absolutely no chance of winning the Champion's League having finished in second place.

We're being linked with a £8m move for Tuncay in January, according to the Daily Mail...:( Not too sure about that one!

Anelka may have stepped up but t does not change that fact that Drogba is a hugely important player for us. Anelka plays too deep. Having 6 in the midfield won't score us goals against the big teams, simple as that. Huge influence when he came on last night. I just hope he can keep up the level of enthusiasm.

• Advertisement

Drogba has the class as Rafa would say.

We need him on our side.

papagormo wrote: »

if he were to leave, surely Milan would be all over it. Panathanaikos sounds an odd choice.

I wouldn't believe it too much anyway, only quote is from the S*n.

It does appear he handed in a ransfer request.

this is some kick in the balls

we need him, he is excellent cover

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Great defender, he'd be a HUGE loss for us. Always rated him, tbh. Most likely Milan will be all over it as was said already.

Surely if he did leave we'd have to dip into the pond in January for a short term replacement?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement