Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Why do you say United are struggling? I'm not being smart or narky here, but we only finished 1 solitary point behind you, the league was only decided on the last day of the season and we got further in the Champions League. Now I know we have our financial problems, but they have shown no sign of affecting our on the field performances. We have already strengthened this summer (Smalling and Hernandez) and while they are no world beaters, most logical thinking United fans have acknowledged were are really only one new first team player (or a resurgent Hargreaves or Anderson) away from being back on top of our game. I know most of this is more at home in the United thread so I'd be more than happy to take it over there if you guys want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Archimedes wrote: »
    Why do you say United are struggling? I'm not being smart or narky here, but we only finished 1 solitary point behind you, the league was only decided on the last day of the season and we got further in the Champions League. Now I know we have our financial problems, but they have shown no sign of affecting our on the field performances. We have already strengthened this summer (Smalling and Hernandez) and while they are no world beaters, most logical thinking United fans have acknowledged were are really only one new first team player (or a resurgent Hargreaves or Anderson) away from being back on top of our game. I know most of this is more at home in the United thread so I'd be more than happy to take it over there if you guys want.

Well, i'm not a Chelsea fan for starters. Last season was a bit of a freak in terms of the league i felt, Chelsea dropped a lot of points they normally wouldn't and United did well to stay with them. United got further in the CL but they did have a favourable draw and the way they went out to Bayern was tame by United standards. No way would that have happened in seasons gone by, no chance.

I don't think United have strengtened this summer, not yet anyways. They are players for the future sure but that to me is not what United need most right now. I may be proved wrong, but i don't think so. I think until Ferguson is given the money to inject straight into the first team United are going to slip further and further behind Chelsea and as soon as MCFC grab a CL place then it wont be long until you fall behind them either.

The Glazers have fúcked United up, for now at least.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Well, i'm not a Chelsea fan for starters. Last season was a bit of a freak in terms of the league i felt, Chelsea dropped a lot of points they normally wouldn't and United did well to stay with them. United got further in the CL but they did have a favourable draw and the way they went out to Bayern was tame by United standards. No way would that have happened in seasons gone by, no chance.

Well this is what I have trouble with the most. How you can apply two polar opposite logics such as one team being lucky to get X amount of points and the other being unlucky in only getting X+1 points is quite baffling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Both Chelsea and Man United had... well, strange seasons by their standards. Europe was a huge let-down for both sides, and on the domestic front, things were gritty and hard-fought... Right down to the 6th minute of the last games of the season (cos let's face it, the minute Chelsea went 1-0 up against Wigan in the Bridge, that was it more or less over... I was nervous alright, up until 2-0, but in all reality, when Anelka drove home that goal... The title race finally ended.) the title was undecided.

Chelsea will most certainly be in a most strong position next season, and I would safely say (if they get Aguero's signature and hold on to the likes of Ashley and so on) they will be favourites again next season to retain the Premiership. Europe, though, is the primary target. For the higher-ups at any rate. Abramovich wants the Champions League, which is what Ancelotti was brought in to get. And success there next season, while by no means guaranteed, will be much more likely, now that CA is much more aware of the team's strengths and weaknesses. He will also be aware of which tactics work and which don't, so Chelsea will be an even more potent threat next season.

I have to have a grin at the way Manchester United fans are reacting to this. Yes, by the very high standards set at Old Trafford, this season was something of a disaster... But looking at the facts, it was not so! Took the title race to the very last day and only lost out by 1 point... Only exited in Europe on the (POXY!!!) Away Goals rule... The break of a ball in a different direction in any of the matches... An offside flag raised at the right moment. Anything... And United could have won the League, the Champs League or (horror of horrors) both...

Next season will be even more interesting than this one has been; who knows how it will unfold, given the seismic changes that could unravel during the summer.

With any luck, the only ones to leave The Bridge will be the 'expected' departures (Belletti, Hilario, Deco, Ferreira et al) and none of the ones we want to keep go.

And if we can ink an agreement with "Kun" Aguero and possibly the much discussed Jerémy Toulalan (who hopefully gets some ambition!:p:D) we will be so much stronger than before and could easily become the 2nd team from a capital city in europe to win the Champions League.

(This is a fact; the only capital city in Europe to have produced a European Cup/Champions League winning side is Madrid! Hopefully, London will soon be following!)

Carefree... and for fúcks sake it's five in the fúcking morning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

DazMarz wrote: »
    (This is a fact; the only capital city in Europe to have produced a European Cup/Champions League winning side is Madrid! Hopefully, London will soon be following!)

Carefree... and for fúcks sake it's five in the fúcking morning...

1991 Red Star Belgrade beat Marseille 5-3 on penalties (Belgrade is capital of Serbia)

1986 Steaua Bucharest beat Barcelona 2-0 on penalties (Bucharest is capital of Romania)

Also Benfica have won it a couple of times

Where do you get your 'facts'?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Champions_League

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

FOR FÚCK SAKES!!!

To everyone; my comments were fairly arrogant alright, but lest we forget that Toulalan also turned down offers from Manchester United too. So to stay at Lyon when two of the biggest clubs in Europe (and others I'm sure) have expressed an interest is unambitious.

Lyon are a handy side, no doubt. But they are in no way on a par with either Manchester United or Chelsea in many ways. Yes, they got further than both in the Champions League this season, but that means absolutely fúck all in the grander scheme of things. Last season, Man U were runners-up in the CL, Chelsea semi-finalists. Season before, Chelsea runners-up, Man U champions. These are, at the moment, two of the biggest sides in European football, without a doubt.

I would hope and think that of the lists of teams players would want to play for Chelsea would be up there on that list. (Personally, I see that list as it stands, panning out like: 1) Barcelona, 2) Man United, 3) Real Madrid, 4) Inter, 5) Chelsea, 6) Bayern Munich, 7) Arsenal.... and so on)

Someone mentioned Lamps and Cole being unambitious for not wanting to go to Real.... Why??? To be there for one season, involved in the revolving door system of the Galacticos, hyped up by the Madrid media to heights that dwarf Everest and when Real finish 2nd to Barca (again) be savaged by the same media? Or to stay at Chelsea (Champions of England and perennial favourites in Europe) where they are paid handsomely, are adored by the fans and where they are absolutely guaranteed their game, AND where they are already challenging (and acheiving!) top honours?

I'm an arrogant, cynical, misanthropic, horrible, nasty Chelsea fan. I constantly have my blue tinted glasses on and I believe in this instance, my arrogance is well placed. Any player looking at England as a destination would be nothing short of foolish to not be attracted to the reigning champions, the cup holders... Who were knocked out of the Champions League by the eventual winners of that competition. Who have always progressed to the latter stages (well, apart from this season) of the Champions League for the last 6-7 years... Chelsea are an incredibly attractive side for any players to join, especially now.

Ligue 1 is not a good league. Yes, they had two teams progress to the quarter finals of the Champions League this season, but that is a once off. I would almost guarantee you that the same will not happen again this season. Any half-decent player produced in that league almost ivariably does leave that league for the better European leagues (Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga) in order to better challenge for prestigious honours. To say Toulalan (who has long been a much sought-after target of not only Chelsea but also Man United and others) is 'unambitious' and 'stubborn' for rejecting such moves is not arrogance. It seems it only is when I mention it in reference to Chelsea.

Toulalan has no ambition or desire to challenge for top honours and to challenge himself. If he did, he would long since have moved from Lyon to Man Utd, Chelsea, Bayern (I think they expressed an interest at one point) or some other top class European outfit. To date he has not.

To reiterate, he is happy to languish in Ligue 1 and play there in a mediocre league, when he could be lighting up the Premier League or the Bundesliga or whatever.

That's not really true.

Toulalan came to Lyon to challenge for top honours and to be honest, Lyon have been the "nearly" team for years now, always getting past the groups in the CL and winning many domestic trophies along the way. Toul is now starting for France, the pinnacle of alot of footballers ambitions. Yes, and he did this by playing for little old Lyon, that unambitious club that outspent everyone except Real Madrid and Man. City last summer.

Just because in your opinion he's languishing in Ligue 1 doesn't make it so, he's perfectly happy in his homeland. Oh, Benzema had such a terrible time languishing in Ligue until he went to the bright lights of Real Madrid, the team Lyon knock out of the CL......alot.

You're talking like players must sign for this finite group of elite clubs or else they simply don't want to challenge themselves, which is wrong completely. Look at Real Madrids CL success over the past five years.

I like Chelsea actually and don't mind their fans, I'd call what you said more ill informed than arrogant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

:eek:

Just back from a weekend in Galway, and come back to read this thread.

What happened? :pac:

My opinion, if we get Toulalan, Lyon will revert back to what they are, an average side who would struggle in the Scottish Premier League.

Man Utd will get relegated and lose all there players to Portsmouth

Chelsea will win the EPL next season in December and rack up a total of 110 points, scroing 397 goals, Carlo Ancelotti will get 6 of them.

Chelsea to win the Champs League scoring 72 goals and beating R.Madrid in the final 1-18 to 1-13, where it will all conspire that Jose joined R.Madrid to help Chelsea win the CL.

Post may contain sarcasm and no truths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,828 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

chelsea up the yossi bid
    still think its a difficult one to call whether or not we need him, cant see him being guaranteed 1st team footy at the bridge myself.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Someone mentioned Lamps and Cole being unambitious for not wanting to go to Real.... Why??? To be there for one season, involved in the revolving door system of the Galacticos, hyped up by the Madrid media to heights that dwarf Everest and when Real finish 2nd to Barca (again) be savaged by the same media? Or to stay at Chelsea (Champions of England and perennial favourites in Europe) where they are paid handsomely, are adored by the fans and where they are absolutely guaranteed their game, AND where they are already challenging (and acheiving!) top honours?
    Because Real Madrid are a bigger club than Chelsea, you've already admitted that.

The rest is you just making up a favourable possible outcome to suit your argument. Lampard and Cole could go to Real to reunite with Jose, wrestle the league back from Barca, which given how good Barca are would be an incredible feat and thus require a lot of personal ambition. They could become heroes, get paid even more while doing so (Real can do that), and become legends in two countries. As for Toulalan, you could apply what you said to Lampard and Cole to him. Lyon are a big team. Few teams in Europe have won as much as they have this decade. As Ush has said, they buy big, and they regularly reach the knock-out stages of the CL. Maybe not as big as Chelsea, but big enough. You said yourself, Toulalan has been linked for ages, but Chelsea had been under United's shadow for ages.

Making dismissive and condescending comments about another club and then trying to blame it all on United jealousy when called on it is a total cop-out. The ones making this tribal have been Chelsea fans. You should drop the siege mentality. Carlo, gent that he is, makes it unnecessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Just heard ye are seemingly close to signing Liverpools Benayoun, a bit suprised as i didnt think he was the type of player chelsea are looking for, any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Just heard ye are seemingly close to signing Liverpools Benayoun, a bit suprised as i didnt think he was the type of player chelsea are looking for, any thoughts?

Little dissapointed tbh, the players we are being linked with are the wrong side of 20 or pushing 30. The only player I'd like to sign who in his late twenties is Kaka, but unless there is a A.Cole swap deal, it won't happen ( Cole said he has no intention of leaving yesterday). I think Carletto shares the same love as Mourinho for players entering their twilight years and he certainly knows how to make the most of their experience but I'd still like to see some young talent in. Preferably the Kun or D.Silva.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Benayoun is a crafty player who can make things happen. Probably one of Liverpools best players but he never seemed to have the confidence of Benitez. I can't see him starting week in week out for Chelsea, that being his major gripe at Liverpool. Would be a strange signing alright.

Well this is what I have trouble with the most. How you can apply two polar opposite logics such as one team being lucky to get X amount of points and the other being unlucky in only getting X+1 points is quite baffling.

Ferguson is the best man manager in English football. He consistently gets the best out of what he has whereas Chelsea who i believe are a considerably stronger squad played well beneath themselves at times last season.

I said it before, i think Ferguson has won his last trophy at United.

I'm not one to make bets on this forum like some people, but then again, I'm not one to pass up easy money either, so I'd like to place a bet on this if you're willing.

ItsOnNowChapsL.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

considering;

1) he's the greatest manager ever by all accounts.

2) he has a team that only lost out by a point last year, and will likely improve by at least one stand-out player.

3) he won't retire until he's lost his marbles or physically can't get up in the morning, so he has plenty of time.

well, to say it politely, i think you're very very wrong. and it hurts to say it. but there's no logic to saying he won't win again. all evidence points to the contrary.

in Chelsea news though :pac: good luck with Benayoun if that's true. i'm pretty sure he's on the wane. but if anyone can get the best out of a 30-something player, it's Ancelotti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'm not one to make bets on this forum like some people, but then again, I'm not one to pass up easy money either, so I'd like to place a bet on this if you're willing.

+1

durty big yawn at all this betting business.
    if ye wish to bet among yerselves fire ahead bout could it be kept to pm's between one another lads?
    its a lot of scrolling down the page to more interesting news for a few of us.
    (hes says dangerously)

I'm going to ask the bookies first, see what sort of odds they can give me. I will report back to the Manchester United thread rather than here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

papagormo wrote: »
    its a lot of scrolling down the page to more interesting news for a few of us.
    (hes says dangerously)

Two one line posts?

God help us.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Two one line posts?

God help us.

and the inevitable forfeit banter back and forth in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Let's say Joe leaves, could we use him as a bargaining tool of sorts to get someone on the cheap? or, because he's out of contract, does he just walk away with us getting nothing?

Let's say Joe leaves, could we use him as a bargaining tool of sorts to get someone on the cheap? or, because he's out of contract, does he just walk away with us getting nothing?

Can walk for nothing after June 1st.

think hes a free man basically. we should offer him a years contract, he'l go play class in the world cup, his asking price goes through the roof, clubs come knocking on the door, we sell him off to the highest bidder and make a tidy profit! (Arry Rednapp eat your heart out!)

Right so, fook 'em overboard in that case. Id rather see him go and get someone on the cheap than just let him walk.

Surely Stoch is going to get a shot at AMR?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

For the last 6 months on any players contract they are free to speak with other clubs. The club the player is currently contracted to are powerless to stop this.

He effectively becomes a free agent unless his current club put a better offer on the table and he signs for them again.

thats what id like to see happening too.

I'd like him to stay another year and see him really put pressure for that AMR spot, think he could really get his form back after a decent WC and a full season where he stays fit. He seems pretty intent on leaving though.

• Advertisement

Id doubt it TBH, he had a great season in Holland but I think with Kalous run in displays he will be starting their next season.

Id also rather keep J.Cole then bring in Yossi.

Stoch is still young. But he defo deserves a shot in the first team, but I'd hate to have him languishing on the bench, which is what could happen.

And also: DazMarz is like the pope. He is never wrong, even when the facts suggest otherwise. DazMarz will kick those fact's ass for trying to prove him wrong.:D;)

It's likely that Stoch will be on loan again next year. Twente are looking to sign him, as are Galatasaray. Chelsea have already offered him a new contract but he looks reluctant to commit without the promise of first team football.

I'd send him on loan, give him more experience and let him get even better.

[QUOTE=DazMarz;66160375]Stoch is still young. But he defo deserves a shot in the first team, but I'd hate to have him languishing on the bench, which is what could happen.

And also: DazMarz is like the pope. He is never wrong, even when the facts suggest otherwise. DazMarz will kick those fact's ass for trying to prove him wrong.:D;)[/QUOTE]

Dont ya love posting in the 3rd person perspective :pac:

Gavin believes that Stoch should be sent on kept if we get rid of J.Cole but sent away on loan if we keep J.Cole

gavredking wrote: »
    Dont ya love posting in the 3rd person perspective :pac:

Gavin believes that Stoch should be sent on kept if we get rid of J.Cole but sent away on loan if we keep J.Cole

Referring to oneself in the 3rd person is always a laugh.

Despite it all, can't see J. Cole leaving at all, tbh. He'll get what he wants in the end, IMO.

• Advertisement

Deco says he's hoping to go out with a bang in this World Cup as he anticipates this being his last call out for Portugal.

Wonder has he had his last game for Chelsea too, or will he do a Shevchenko on it and have one last hurrah at the start of next season and then leave? Only time will tell...

I'd say he'll be gone soon enough Daz. Apparently nobody has approached Ballack about contract talks yet...plenty of time yet, but still. Joe Cole seems determined to get his big fat pay check, won't be from Chelsea though. I'm sure they are going to stand firm on this one. Spurs I'd imagine will be the destination.

Yeah Deco leaving is a certainty, he confirmed at the end of last season he was going back to Brazil. Not a bad signing, for 8m we def got out monies worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I thought Deco was crap for most of his time with the club, for a play-maker he gave the ball away far too much. Wont be sorry to see him go.

He was poor for parts of last season. Thought he didn't do much wrong this season. Had some great performances against United and Liverpool.

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    He was poor for parts of last season. Thought he didn't do much wrong this season. Had some great performances against United and Liverpool.

+1 Lukker, he was decent fro the club, he wasnt crap thats for sure, and as you said his performances against Utd and the Pool this year weer good.

He had his moments at the club, for me id rate him as about a 6.5 out of 10 for us, but coming from Barca he was about 8.5/9 around the time we got him.

Still, IMO he was decent for us, not the worse.

He probably over-performed in the first few games for us and set massive expetations and when his form dipped he was slammed by many fans (including myself). I remember the first couple of games under Scolari, I had goosebumps watching Deco.

Lukker- wrote: »
    He probably over-performed in the first few games for us and set massive expetations and when his form dipped he was slammed by many fans (including myself). I remember the first couple of games under Scolari, I had goosebumps watching Deco.

Ya he started like a house on fire, but I always doubted if he could do it, mainly because at Barca for nearly 2/3 years he was immense, part of the reason they got rid of him, iirc, was his fondness for the party lifestyle, nightclubs and parties and what not. So I always reserved judgement, nonetheless I thought he was decent for us anyway.

Looks like Franco is on his way out.

Looks like Franco is on his way out.

No bleedin harm there, either... Ffs, he can't even get his game with Blackburn (no offence intended to Blackburn!), so how could he ever hope to break into the Chelsea team???

Apparently Stoch off to Galatasary for 2.5m! WTF!?:o

Apparently Stoch off to Galatasary for 2.5m! WTF!?:o

Well I heard he won't sign a new contract because of lack of first team oppurtunities so it may well be us trying to cash in him before he leaves on a free. Would be dissappointed to see it happen though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Pretty quiet on the transfer news -- seems J Cole is leaving - pity

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/8717027.stm

The boredom of it all, I need some live football the FOOK!

Transfer talk does NOTHING for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

the_monkey wrote: »
    Pretty quiet on the transfer news -- seems J Cole is leaving - pity

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/8717027.stm

especially since its yesterday's news ;)

any more word on Yossi? he seemed pretty sure of a move himself, not too much has been made of it.

and any more talk on Srna?

hard to keep up when working late etc.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement