Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

The fourth choice centre half playing as a makeshift full back scores 2 :pac: who'd of thunk it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

go on the blues! i knew we cud take them, is it too early to declare ivanovic as god?!..boswinga has a fight for his place on his hands after ivanovic's performance tonite.well done essien, i can hardly remember hearing gerrard getting a mention all night.drogs/malouda/even ballack looked interested.
    if we face do barca, on tonights performance- i say bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Bloody hell Chelsea fans where did that come from?

Huge result for your lot. A challenge on the league will come now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Oh that was sexy, absolutely sexy. Essien was massive tonight, as always, what a player, what a man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

CHD wrote: »
    essien_2_1024x768.jpg

Essien, a legend.

michael-essien.jpg

Essien, A winner.

610x.jpg

Essien, Ain't afraid of trains.

essien_348092a.jpg

Essien, We love him.
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

yeah it is such a great option to have him as a dmf behind lampard and ballack,

i know it limits his creativity but it is so worth it for th ebig matches, then for the leage throw mikel in dmf and let essien run at him

He is th eone ture player where a team of 11 Essien's would beat just about anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Just out of interest, was I the only one wondering who the **** scored the first goal until his name popped up. Didn't recognize him at all

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Just out of interest, was I the only one wondering who the **** scored the first goal until his name popped up. Didn't recognize him at all
    I hope so...

I <3 that Essien post, CHD, brilliant.

I knew who he was, didnt know a lot of his past records with former clubs or anything but I knew who he was, fair play to the lad, scored to lovely headers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Chelsea were class tonight, if yous play like that for the remainder of the year, i think you will win the CL & could still win the league.

Essien was immense.

Well done.

The league is there for the taking I suppose but I dont feel we will do it, I still think we'll nab the FA cup and if we can hold pool next week and overturn, what looks like Barca, I really think we have a chance.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Chelsea were class tonight, if yous play like that for the remainder of the year, i think you will win the CL & could still win the league.

Essien was immense.

Well done.
    On behalf of Chelsea Football Club, Thank you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

gotta agree with al. we were outclassed all over the pitch tonite

I knew who he was, because I distinctly remember saying to my da at the start of the match "ah FFS, why is this lad startin'!?"
    :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

As I said on the match thread, this game is not over. Only half time and we know the intensity that Liverpool can play at. You know they are going to do that for the full 90 at the bridge as they need to. Its only half time.

That said, Chelsea were class last night. He has his knockers from anyone who is not a Chelsea fan but Lampard was fantastic. Essien also took Gerard clean out of the game. Amazing player and how the blues have missed him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

eddiehead wrote: »
    I knew who he was, because I distinctly remember saying to my da at the start of the match "ah FFS, why is this lad startin'!?"
    :o
    Reports a season or two ago when both United and Chelsea were chasing him were that he was better than Vidic. He's obviously an excellent player. He kept an in form Riera out of the game last night and his two goals were top quality. I think he's a better option for Chelsea at CB than Alex. Far more pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

V9 wrote: »
    The league is there for the taking I suppose but I dont feel we will do it

Whatever about winning the league, I think you've got a great chance of finishing ahead of Liverpool. You're coming good at the moment and quietly getting results while all the press emphasis is on the Utd-Pool battle. I can see you beating Arsenal in the league while Liverpool won't, and winning pretty much all remaining fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

K4t wrote: »
    Reports a season or two ago when both United and Chelsea were chasing him were that he was better than Vidic. He's obviously an excellent player. He kept an in form Riera out of the game last night and his two goals were top quality. I think he's a better option for Chelsea at CB than Alex. Far more pace.

+1 I think hes better choice then Alex, hes a better all round player. Great game, the way Chelsea played the game I believe is what caught Liverpool out, they might have been expecting a far slower paced game from Chelsea and any tempo was going to be controlled by the home team.

Well done the lads for putting there name well and truly in the mix once again. I cannot see Liverpool going to the Bridge and getting 3 un-answered goals, but stranger things have happened.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/09042009/58/premier-league-ancelotti-agrees-chelsea-deal.html

do u think he seen the game lastnite and then agreed to join..:D
    hold onto guus i say! i dont mind us sharing him with russia

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Hold onto Hiddink is right. Legend. Essien was immense last night, just unreal.
    Would like us to head into the second game with the same attitude because it will still be tough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

What a performance last night. Looked a completely different side from the team that got outplayed and barely nustered up a shot on goal twice this season against liverpool. Essien was outstanding. To think we've had Ivanovic wasting away on the bench all season. Bosingwa might have a bit of a challenge on his hands to get back in the team. Ah well he can always play in front of big Ivan. Even Ballack and Malouda turned up.
    Not over yet though and if any team could over turn us you'd suspect it to be liverpool. I hope Carvalho is fit by next week. He looks far more suited to playing with Alex than JT and built a good partnership with him last season.
    I'll be gutted to lose Guus at the end of the season. He knows how to get the best out of what he's got to work with.Not too sure about Ancelotti. Can he even speak english? Don't want to have to deal with that again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

:(*Sigh*..Suppose we will have to make do with ONLY the fa cup and champions league....:rolleyes:;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Michael Essien. Tick a boo son. Tick a boo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Was At anfield last night and I have to say in my 20 years going there last night was the greatest performance I seen from a away team .
    Well done Chelsea , mind you it's only half times .
    By the way I apologize for singing about john terrys ma;)

Talk of David Villa coming to the bridge in the summer, please let this be true.
    I wonder who we'll be offloading to accommodate this should it go through....

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Fantastic signing if you get him, best striker in the world at the moment.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Fantastic signing if you get him, best striker in the world at the moment.

You reckon? Havn't seen much of him since the Euro's (don't really follow La Liga) but he was fantastic then.

eddiehead wrote: »
    You reckon? Havn't seen much of him since the Euro's (don't really follow La Liga) but he was fantastic then.

Absolutely, he is as good a poacher as Eto'o, but he is just as good at creating a goal from absolutely nothing with his pace and skill. I've no doubt in my mind that he is the best striker in world football. He's been a regular starter for a professional team since 2001/2002, and he has only ever failed to reach 20 goals a season once, when he scored 18.... Most consistent striker of the past 4 years I reckon, and I'd LOVE him at Barca.

Most consistent striker of the past 4 years I reckon, and I'd LOVE him at Barca.

Haven't looked at the stats but surely that must be Luca. TBH, I'd prefer Ibra to Villa if only because if we get Villa Anelka is gone whereas Ibra would lead to Droggy leaving which I'd much prefer. Also, we'd get to see some somersault passes at the bridge

Haven't looked at the stats but surely that must be Luca. TBH, I'd prefer Ibra to Villa if only because if we get Villa Anelka is gone whereas Ibra would lead to Droggy leaving which I'd much prefer. Also, we'd get to see some somersault passes at the bridge

Nah, Toni has 195 goals in 394 appearances, and alot of those were in Serie B, Serie C1... Villa has 175 goals in 331 appearances, with two seasons in the Segunda Division. Villa is a more potent goal threat, and more likely to create something from nothing, but Toni is a bigger aerial threat, and holds the ball up better. So they are different strikers.

If Chelsea got Ibrahimovic then it would make Drogba redundant, seeing as Drogba's best assets are his power and ability to hold up the ball. Ibrahimovic brings his team mates into the game more efficiently that Drogba too. So if you Ibra, then it'd be Anelka that'd get the best pairing. Plus, Villa + Drogba > Ibra + Anelka/ Drogba imo.

• Advertisement

If Chelsea got Ibrahimovic then it would make Drogba redundant, seeing as Drogba's best assets are his power and ability to hold up the ball. Ibrahimovic brings his team mates into the game more efficiently that Drogba too. So if you Ibra, then it'd be Anelka that'd get the best pairing. Plus, Villa + Drogba > Ibra + Anelka/ Drogba imo.

I dunno, I think alot of people rate Drogba far too highly, he's really really wasteful, very tempermental and selfish. Ibra is fairly clinical, and less selfish since his Juve days. There's no doubting that Villa is better than Anelka but I think the difference is smaller. Also think there'd be a question of whether Villa could adjust to English life having only played in Spain whereas Ibra has been all over the place. less of a risk IMO. Having said that, it's hard to compare because I've seen far less of Villa then you but far more of Ibra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Absolutely, he is as good a poacher as Eto'o, but he is just as good at creating a goal from absolutely nothing with his pace and skill. I've no doubt in my mind that he is the best striker in world football. He's been a regular starter for a professional team since 2001/2002, and he has only ever failed to reach 20 goals a season once, when he scored 18.... Most consistent striker of the past 4 years I reckon, and I'd LOVE him at Barca.
    Think about a quarter of this seasons league goals for Villa have been penalties.

Pighead wrote: »
    Think about a quarter of this seasons league goals for Villa have been penalties.

even still, its been a very rocky campaign for Valencia and how much of those penalties did he win himself.

I would definitely like to see him at the bridge.

but alas I too would prefer Ibra, possibly bringing Jose back with him.

Pighead wrote: »

Since January 2008 he has scored 42 goals in 48 games for club and country... Think that record speaks for itself.

Villa will stay in spain.

Villa will stay in spain.

What a rotten conceited post, it would be nice if you backed that up, or even didn't but said in my opinion.

Said on sky sports today he wants to see out his contract, pity, I think he is proper quality.

What a rotten conceited post, it would be nice if you backed that up, or even didn't but said in my opinion.
    You will get over it.

go on ballack, bout time!

• Advertisement

can anyone confirm that essien is fine and didnt make squas purely to rest him, if so great move, especially considering deco and Captain Charesma can come on.

G'wan Lampard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

hahaha 4-3 , 11 minutes left. Talk about bottling it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

wtf

if this ends 4-4 it would be the greatest comeback ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Unearthly wrote: »
    wtf

if this ends 4-4 it would be the greatest comeback ever.

Certainly would be.. Tuesday is going to be very interesting now.. Not the sort of preperation that you would want going into that match.

Certainly would be.. Tuesday is going to be very interesting now.. Not the sort of preperation that you would want going into that match.
    Essien will be playing on Tues, Pool have no hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Essien will be playing on Tues, Pool have no hope.

Time will tell I suppose. Am hopeful in a nothing to loose sort of way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

If Liverpool score 3 as a result of us going 4 up and switching off I wont be too bothered.

im glad that yesterdays result did happen.
    it will hopefully remind the lads that anything can happen in football, so they will have pull the socks up and stay focused for the full 90mins in tuesdays game i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Good game .. think we deserved the win .. after scoring the 1st goal and Anelka hitting the post we should have been ahead at the break ...

Hiddink has really revitalised us ... especially Drogs ...

Imagine had he been manager since beginning of season ... how different
    the league table would be....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement