Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Probably as he feels he is better than his reputation and thinks that after a year proving himself in the premiership he will be able to re-negotiate a better deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Buck said on chelsea tv that he's optimistic we'll make one "marquee" signing soon.
    reckon its one of aguero pato or ribery.
    we need cover for the ACN in CM so thats where Sneider may come in, unless we're going to give the youth a chance like Mellis I just hope Pirlo doesn't come as it could be deco part 2 all over again.
    Sneider and Pato and I'd be very happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

BBC teletext (not the gossip page!) says we are still interested in Pato, Villa, Ribery and Sneijder.

Villa would be a brilliant signing. I think we really need a decent forward. Anelka/Drogba are both the wrong side of 30, and Kalou isn't good enough to be a regular starter IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

blue-army wrote: »
    BBC teletext (not the gossip page!) says we are still interested in Pato, Villa, Ribery and Sneijder.

Villa would be a brilliant signing. I think we really need a decent forward. Anelka/Drogba are both the wrong side of 30, and Kalou isn't good enough to be a regular starter IMO.

valencia dont need to sell anymore now

my money is on Ribery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

From BBC Gossip Pages today:

- Ancellotti willing to let Mancienne go on 12 month loan to Wolves
    - Adam Johnson (Boro) going to Chelsea (there's our marquee signing :))
    - Chelsea to offload Carvalho to finance move for Bruno Alves (:rolleyes:)

• Advertisement

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    From BBC Gossip Pages today:

- Ancellotti willing to let Mancienne go on 12 month loan to Wolves
    - Adam Johnson (Boro) going to Chelsea (there's our marquee signing :))
    - Chelsea to offload Carvalho to finance move for Bruno Alves (:rolleyes:)
    I can definately see the Mancienne deal going through. He needs a regular starting place if wants a chance to play in the WC2010.
    I presume Jack Cork will be staying then, to provide back-up in defence. Watford/Scunthorpe/Southampton fans rave about him, and expect him to become a big player, apparently! :)

-Adam Johnson? Could be a good signing. He was linked with Real Madrid and Liverpool last January. A fee of £8m was mentioned back then. I'd presume we'd get him for £3-4m now though. Not sure if we need him though - Scott Sinclair and Stoch deserve a chance ahead of him IMO.

- We apparently want £6m for Carvalho. Porto want £20m for Bruno Alves. Something wrong there! If Terry's 'worth' £30m-£40m, we should want at least £15m for Carvalho!!! He's probably the best defender in the league when fit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

- We apparently want £6m for Carvalho. Porto want £20m for Bruno Alves. Something wrong there! If Terry's 'worth' £30m-£40m, we should want at least £15m for Carvalho!!! He's probably the best defender in the league when fit!

The only transfer fees in recent memory we did well out of was robben to real, even then I cant remember how much we paid initially for him! Otherwise we always seem to get buggered in these deals, he's def worth 15, defenders can play at there prime till 34-35, especially in the slower leagues like italy!!

Marquee signing, id be over the moon with aguero or pato, pato's not as unlikely as some think, we tracked him for along time and almost signed him before he went to milan first, throw in carlo giving him his start in the first team and he might be tempted to come!!

LanceStorm wrote: »
    The only transfer fees in recent memory we did well out of was robben to real, even then I cant remember how much we paid initially for him!
    Not really! Robben's class again! I'd love to have him back - if he stayed fit that is!

We somehow sold Kezman for more than we paid for him too! :D

Well he did have fantastic hair and beard, im sure the endorsements were a big incentive!!

_40943639_kezman300_getty.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Superhands

Villa will go to Barcelona IMO

Laporta has said they want Villa or Forlan even if Eto'o stays

hard to see Chelsea competing with barca - not least because of the UK tax rates

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    valencia dont need to sell anymore now

my money is on Ribery

valencia don't need to sell ? why do you say that ?

they just got 500million pumped into them from investors for their old stadium they had been trying to sell for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Not really! Robben's class again! I'd love to have him back - if he stayed fit that is!

seriously robben may be a decent player only ne problem is his icessent diving its terrible, i say chelsea got a good deal there.

they just got 500million pumped into them from investors for their old stadium they had been trying to sell for years.

500 million seeems an astronomical amount for the old stadium

if it was worth so much all along why were they so worried ?

these spanish clubs have a habit of getting themselves out of debt - marid did the same selling their training ground

Superhands wrote: »
    500 million seeems an astronomical amount for the old stadium

if it was worth so much all along why were they so worried ?

I think the situation was something along the lines of they were a great club but still only coming third or 4th every year, and they wanted to really make a go of it and challenge the big two (Barca and Real).

They decided that, to do this they were going to have to build a new stadium, they decided that they would take out a huge loan which was OK as it could be largely paid off when the Mestalla was sold, a couple of years into the plans however and the worldwide credit-crunched.

Their were no buyers for the mestalla, the loan interest payments were becoming a burden, so much so that they could not afford the builders to continue developing the stadium nor pay the players' wages.
    They resorted to deperate measures
    Let's hear it for Valencia, the cash-strapped Spanish side currently plumbing such hellish depths of penury that their marketing department has hit upon the ingenious wheeze of throwing open the doors of the Estadio Mestalla to fans for communions and weddings in a bid to generate some much-needed income to cover their outgoings. Outgoings such as the €15m owed in player wages and the €14m it'll cost them to get the builders erecting their new stadium out of the taberna and back on site.

Luckily now though this cash rich consortium have stepped in and the plan may be salvageable, keeping the club running a certainty.

Superhands wrote: »
    these spanish clubs have a habit of getting themselves out of debt - marid did the same selling their training ground

I don't think it compares to the Madrid scenario.

Madrid were bailed out by the King (government) who decided that they would pay over the odds for their training ground.

Madrid is also classified in Spain as a social club and not a business and so pays much less taxes.

The Spanish government has also put pressure on the banks to offer them large loans with low interest rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I don't think it compares to the Madrid scenario.

Madrid were bailed out by the King (government) who decided that they would pay over the odds for their training ground.

Madrid is also classified in Spain as a social club and not a business and so pays much less taxes.

The Spanish government has also put pressure on the banks to offer them large loans with low interest rates.

I read an interesting article about this, and the above seems to be something of an urban myth, can't remember where i read the article, but the above seems to be an untruth that people like to beat Madrid with.

(i may have dreamt this, i'll look it up:))

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Madrid, Ossesuna, Barca and another team I can't remeber are all listed the same way, it's not just madrid.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Madrid, Ossesuna, Barca and another team I can't remeber are all listed the same way, it's not just madrid.

Yes that is true.

For a player to get 8 million a year net,

These clubs have to pay 10,

an English club 16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

just after reading this from here

"Teenage Chelsea youth team striker, Frank Nouble, is understood to have rejected a professional contract at Stamford Bridge to sign for Arsenal as - in a real turn up for the books - he feels an English player has a better chance of breaking the first team at the Emirates"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

papagormo wrote: »
    just after reading this from here

"Teenage Chelsea youth team striker, Frank Nouble, is understood to have rejected a professional contract at Stamford Bridge to sign for Arsenal as - in a real turn up for the books - he feels an English player has a better chance of breaking the first team at the Emirates"

kinda got knocked back by that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭paulcorr

Headshot wrote: »
    kinda got knocked back by that

If he doesnt want to play for chelsea good luck to him .Im quite sure we wont be hearing to much about him in the years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Anyone heard Frank Arnensen has been given a promotion to Sporting Director?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

Is there any truth in the new rumors about terry to city? Can't link, cos using m.boards, but it's the leading story on the sky site. Apparently he wants to open talks with city, and claims they're only 2 players short of challenging for the 4th champions league spot.

Is there any truth in the new rumors about terry to city? Can't link, cos using m.boards, but it's the leading story on the sky site. Apparently he wants to open talks with city, and claims they're only 2 players short of challenging for the 4th champions league spot.
    There's nothing about it on the SkySports site anyway...It is in a few of the papers though. There may well be some truth to it, because it's strange for a captain to have not come out and committed his future, and put an end to the speculation...

For £40m-£50m he can go if he wants tbh. If we have to sell, I hope we absolutely rob City, like they done to us in the SWP deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

When the news broke that Robin van Persie had signed a new contract, an Arsenal fan sent an email which ended with "the title's coming back home".

(Which will be a surprise to the title when it turns up at Highbury to find blocks of empty apartments).

A Kopite sent this text after Steven Gerrard penned a fresh deal: "Torres, Kuyt, Agger, Yossi now Stevie. Who needs new signings? It's our year."

And if Cristiano Ronaldo had agreed new terms at Old Trafford a banner may have gone up in my front garden saying: "19 times - it's in the bag."

Of course big players agreeing to stay with your club is good news.

But analyse the fans' euphoria a little deeper and you'll realise we've become dribbling inmates in the world's biggest loony bin.

All those above players were tied to lucrative contracts with years left to run.

So all that has happened is the club has got down on both knees and said to them "we don't need to do this, and by doing so we've got less money to spend on new players, but will you take a lot more of our money please, and agree to take it for even longer than you legally signed for?"

And you believe THAT is a reason to pop the Tesco Cava (it would be champagne but you've just taken out a crippling loan to buy the season ticket which pays those improved wages and £4.99 was all you had left).

Which brings me to Chelsea fans, who are currently panicking over John Terry.

Advertisement - article continues below »

Will he go to Manchester City if the club don't show enough "loyalty" by giving him a new contract worth £155,000 a week?

And if City come back in with a £35million offer, and they take it, what will outsiders think when Chelsea are unable to hold on to their backbone and talisman?

Well, taking a wild stab, I guess they'll think "Good on you." Terry is reportedly miffed that Roman Abramovich wasn't there in person to give him a rubdown with his cheque book when he turned up for training on Thursday.

With a bit of luck, the Russian was at home dictating the following letter to his "confused" captain: "Your Opta stats for the past three seasons say we've won 64 per cent of our games with you, but 68 per cent without you, and taken more points per game (2.32 compared to 2.16) when you weren't on the pitch.

Plus we've only lost one of the 28 games you've missed.

"Over that same period you've averaged 28 Premier League games and one Premier League goal per season. You're getting booked more and starting to look like an oil tanker doing a threepoint turn in Vladivostok harbour when you're up against pace.

"I'm wondering how much of our excellent defensive record is down to Petr Cech behind you, Michael Essien in front of you and the other three defenders alongside you?

"You're 29 this year. Your back's gone. You cost £6.5m in wages. And you're a centrehalf. I'll tell you what. I'll make Frankie captain, let Alex take your place, tell Carvalho he's staying, push Mancienne through the ranks and bite City's hands off for £35m. Go and live your dream with the Eastlands Arabs, my son."

Which would be one small step for Man City, but one giant leap for mankind.

good article about the Terry situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Its a good article and sums up my feelings on the Terry situation. If they offer big money we should snap there hands off and and gove Carvalho a pay rise, Ivanovic is the next big thing at center back ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭meboloxitis

I wouldnt like to see Terry go but if he wants to go they should show him the door! I'd snap that cheque for £35million off city & run like mad.

I have always said that Carvalho is a better defender than Terry as he reads the game better. Terry can be quite sloppy & has no pace

Injuries got the better of him imo. He's not the same player and Carvalho made him look alot better than he is. If he hasn't released a statement in the next few days saying he's committed to Chelsea and never wants to leave then he can feck off. He is meant to be Chelsea through and through and the club captain.

Give Lampard the armband or Essien imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

If Terry does go I would have thought Ballack would be the obvious choice for captain if he stays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I might put Ballack ahead of Essien as a captain but I think Lampard is a much more obvious choice.
    He is staying, he signed a new contract this summer.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    If Terry does go I would have thought Ballack would be the obvious choice for captain if he stays
    Give it to Lampard now and get few years out of it. Not a year out of Ballack.

But Ballack is a proven quality captain whereas Lampard is untested. If anything, taking away Chelsea pride, Ballack is probably a better captain than Terry

Ballack won't get as much game time so its pointless. I don't see any reason why Lampard wouldn't make a great captain tbh. Meh anyway, Terry is going to get a pay rise anyway and stay, he wants that CL too much to go anywhere i reckon.

So, now that chelsea have a manager who has proformed better than any other in the Champions league, do you expect them to challange effectively?

• Advertisement

Eh, we have challenged effectively for few years now. We are always at the business end of the tournament and should have been to another final last season. If things run smoothly from the off with Ancleotti then this year i expect Chelsea to win it tbh, as long as the likes of Lampard, Essien, Drogba etc stay fit.

But we will get a typical poxy draw like

Madrid
    Liverpool
    Barca

Standard to get the last two at some stage these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

But Ballack is a proven quality captain whereas Lampard is untested. If anything, taking away Chelsea pride, Ballack is probably a better captain than Terry

Ballack's not even a guaranteed starter, whereas Frank will play 60+ games like he does every season and is a much more important player to Chelsea. Lampard or Essien are the obvious candidates, Ballack would be madness. Essien and Lampard are the guys wo'll perform on the big days for Chelsea when they're really needed and lead by example, Ballack has done little at his time at Chelsea to suggest he would do the same. Thats the true measure of a captain in my opinion.

Seaneh wrote: »
    So, now that chelsea have a manager who has proformed better than any other in the Champions league, do you expect them to challange effectively?

We have challenged effectively in the last 5 years, just got very very unlucky twice. Ancelotti's not going to change our luck at all

We have challenged effectively in the last 5 years, just got very very unlucky twice. Ancelotti's not going to change our luck at all

But he will change how you play and your players mentality.

His record in the CL over the last 10 years is better than anybody else, he knows how to motivate players and he knows how to play good football while also being solid at the back. I reckon Chelsea will play great football next season and still be a very strong defensive unit.

I don't really see him changing that much. Mourinho built a great spirit, Grant turned things round in a Herculean manner and I think had both the players and fans believing in a Cinderella managerial story and Hiddink brought back the toughness we had lost. I don't see Ancelotti adding anything mentally that the others didn't and while his record is great so is ours in the recent past

I'm fairly worried about Ancellotti's league record though, this is the easiest year to win it in a while with a weakened Man utd who have to change styles, a Liverpool who will bottle and played out of their skins last year and a scary enough attacking Arsenal with Arshavin and Walcott for a full season and Eduardo back but who's defence is still so so suspect and who still miss Viera we have by far the best well rounded team without any weaknesses

• Advertisement

news in the telegraph today says that Kenyon might be pissing off to City, could quite easily see this happening!!

maybe we'll actually sign a few players if this slimeball actually leaves!!

Kenyon To Citey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I don't really see him changing that much. Mourinho built a great spirit, Grant turned things round in a Herculean manner and I think had both the players and fans believing in a Cinderella managerial story and Hiddink brought back the toughness we had lost. I don't see Ancelotti adding anything mentally that the others didn't and while his record is great so is ours in the recent past

I'm fairly worried about Ancellotti's league record though, this is the easiest year to win it in a while with a weakened Man utd who have to change styles, a Liverpool who will bottle and played out of their skins last year and a scary enough attacking Arsenal with Arshavin and Walcott for a full season and Eduardo back but who's defence is still so so suspect and who still miss Viera we have by far the best well rounded team without any weaknesses

The league is definitetly there for the taking this year for someone to step up. Chelsea need to hold onto Terry, get a full season from their best player, Essien and Ancelotti nees to adapt immediatley to what is required from the Premiership and hit the ground running.

Agreed about Arshavin again, no one seems to be talking about him, but he could easily be footballer of the year and he'll be like a new signing for Arsenal. The really missed him in the champions League. Savage player, as someone said earlier in the week, if Ferguson knew in January Ronaldo was off he should have been in for him as well, £15 mill is an absolute bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

We've been linked with this lad - Nemanja Matic - anyone know anything about him. He's young, so that's good.

All I know is that in recent years Serbia have had somewhat of a great under 21 team which came out of nowhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Joe Cole not touring the US after setback following knee surgery. JT travels, speed dial set to a Manchester number?

I see we're playing Milan in pre season in USA. Kenyon's gone with the team. I wonder will a deal for Pato be done over there? Wouldn't be surprised... He said we'll sign one big name, and maybe a couple more squad players.

we've brought quite a few youngsters on the US tour by the looks of it!! always good, if there's not given the chance in pre-season they never will!!

wonder if sheva and pizarro are going too? would have no problem keeping them!!

Stoch has been loaned out to FC twente to see if McClaren can ruin his career, I liked this kid from the small appearances he's made so far, bit small maybe!!

separate topic, whats the best way to watch all the preseason games, can you pay for chelsea tv and just watch all the matches online?

LanceStorm wrote: »
    separate topic, whats the best way to watch all the preseason games, can you pay for chelsea tv and just watch all the matches online?
    They'll probably be on ESPN and Chelsea TV. Chances are all games will be on www.justin.tv for free. :)

There all on Chelsea TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement