Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Already Ancelotti asked Malouda to alter his game a little in the match in Seattle by playing him tucked inside on the left of midfield.

'This year he wants to try the new system with a diamond so I have to adapt myself and that is why we are training really hard to do what the manager wants. It is a different role for me but that is part of my game, I can play in many positions, and I have played it a few times in Lyon when there were injuries and in the France national team I have played many times this position.'

This sounds very bad to me. Malouda is much better when he stays out wide. He nor Zhirkov( as far as I've seen) are not suited to being tucked in towards the middle. I feel Ancelloti will do this with Essien on the right, which will suit him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

This sounds very bad to me. Malouda is much better when he stays out wide. He nor Zhirkov( as far as I've seen) are not suited to being tucked in towards the middle. I feel Ancelloti will do this with Essien on the right, which will suit him.

I doubt it

It'll probably be

essien
    --Cole/somebody
    Z or Mal
    Lamps

Personally think that Joe Cole would be much better in the hole though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

We realy need to keep the confused formation of 4-3-3 that thinks its 4-5-1 imo.

CHD wrote: »
    We realy need to keep the confused formation of 4-3-3 that thinks its 4-5-1 imo.

Agree, think Lamps won't settle at all in this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

so no Zhirkov tonight he still hasn't got his work permit, what have the management being doing for the last month?

smuckers wrote: »
    so no Zhirkov tonight he still hasn't got his work permit, what have the management being doing for the last month?
    Trying to get City to part with £80M for Terry i hope.

2-0

Drogba
    Lamps pen.

Good showing, decent football played at times.

Good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Looks like Ancelotti is playing 2 orthodox forwards with a diamond midfield, which seems to be working out pretty well so far. That's a refreshing change away from the usual 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 that most teams are using these days. I'll be at the Club America game on Sunday, will be interesting to see it in action.

If you see people blowing those stupid horns please take them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Vokes wrote: »
    Looks like Ancelotti is playing 2 orthodox forwards with a diamond midfield, which seems to be working out pretty well so far. That's a refreshing change away from the usual 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 that most teams are using these days. I'll be at the Club America game on Sunday, will be interesting to see it in action.

Much like the 2004-2005 Milan Team with Sheva and Crespo up top.

I reckon Lamps would be suited slightly futher back, in the position Seedorf played for Milan with Joe Cole playing the Kaka position, the you have Essien on the right (Gattuaso) and Mikel at the back of the diamond (Prilo).

Carletto often switched it up and brought on Serginho as a left wing forward (Moluda/Zhirkov). Lamps and Ballack could both easily play the Seedorf role, the main problem would be the deep laying playmaker (the Pirlo role) as I don;t think Mikel has the brain or the range of passing for it so maybe investment is needed (and rumor has it you lot are in for Pirlo...).

However, if he goes more 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 then you have a lot od solid options for the wings.

If you use the x-mass tree formation then you have cole, deco kalou, moluda, zhirkov and lamps behind drogba/anelka/di santo with zhirkov, moluda, essien, mikel, ballack and deco to pick from in the central tree.

What chelsea have is a soild back 5 which Carletto will make even more solid and build off, he has been a fan of both alex and Ivanovic for a few years, he rates ricardo very highly (if he stays) a few options at right full, Zhirkov can cover for cole at left full when needed (injury/suspensions).

With one or two signings and Carletto incharge I can see this chelsea playing very good possession based football and having the ability to pile pressure on and unlock any defence.

As a Milan fan, right now, Chelsea are the team I'd least like to draw from England in the CL. you have made one great signing, will make a few more and have J.Cole back who will be aiming for a world cup spot and will be like a new world class signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article6723838.ece

"John Terry has reached an agreement in principle to stay at Chelsea. The club will make an announcement in the next few days trumpeting the England captain’s decision to snub repeated advances from Manchester City before opening detailed talks on an improved contract when they return to London next week"

Good news, Mikel signed a new contract and Drogba set to sign up for another 4 years.

Not sure I like the idea of Alonso joining us, but I did say the same about Ashley Cole :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I haven't heard a single rumour of Alonso joining us.

Lampard and him don't get along.

Zhirkov will be playing tonight, finally has his permit

Sheva is likely to play too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

yeah a pity its so damn late ( I have flu and am falling asleep as it is)
    I am enjoying these pre-seasons, barca spurs is on right now

It was 2-1 Drogba and Zhirkov. a cracking 35 yarder from Drogba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Any links to the goals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

found it on youtube, its not english commentry though.
    dont know whats funnier, the state of sheva's hair or the commentator everytime theres a "GOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5ChzehO4A4&feature=related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

So will ferrell a chelsea supporter it seems...Wore a old jersey doing the coin toss for Inter game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Soby wrote: »
    So will ferrell a chelsea supporter it seems...Wore a old jersey doing the coin toss for Inter game

and Jim Carrey. Must be a SNL thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Nah, it's cos Chelsea is full of gays in New York, so they thought it'd be ironically funny if they supported them... :pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

There were some brilliant crowds (all sellouts?) for Chelsea in the US, decent games and 3 wins, job done hopefully.

will-ferrell-chelsea.jpg

article-1083477-05CBEFF4000005DC-856_224x252.jpg

Someone needs to treat him to a new shirt, Charlize Theron got one.

article-1083477-05CBDF32000005DC-959_224x252.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

dooferoaks wrote: »

article-1083477-05CBDF32000005DC-959_224x252.jpg

jesus even with that on her she'd still get it :p

We still have one more game in the US against Club America to win the World Soccer Challenge, Better tha that mickey mouse thing ManYoo won :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Forgot about that last game, I thought we had finished in America. I can never see why clubs go all out for South East Asian support, home of the snide replica shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

CHD wrote: »
    We still have one more game in the US against Club America to win the World Soccer Challenge

Lol, sounds like some dodgy Sega Megadrive title

• Advertisement

Forgot about that last game, I thought we had finished in America. I can never see why clubs go all out for South East Asian support, home of the snide replica shirt.
    It's a cunning business plan.

Create a link with Asian club
    Sign Beckham or a Asian or win a major trophy
    ???????
    Profit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

will-ferrell-chelsea.jpg

article-1083477-05CBEFF4000005DC-856_224x252.jpg

No way! Will obviously has some taste and wouldn't wear that new home 'shirt' and has obviously been a fan since the Zola days....

Speaking of which-Gianfranco's son just made his debut for West Ham-c'mon Roman-make them an offer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

The Guardian, Daily Mail, all loving up Yuri Zhirkov after his debut. I believe you'll find I openly praised this as one of the buys of the summer, and guaranteed he'd be referred to as one of the best left midfielders in the world this time next season.

Only one game under his belt, but this guy is good. Very, very good.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/jul/25/yuri-zhirvok-chelsea-ac-milan-premier-league

I'm afraid I haven't seen any of the preseason, has anyone on here seen all the games?

If so (in your opinion):
    • Who has impressed?
    • Has the style of play changed noticeabley at this stage?
    • How are the new formations working out? I never bought into this 'Drogba and Anelka can't play together in a 4-4-2' myself
    • How does our balance look? We have quite orthodox left wingers, but our right side generally seems to be staffed by a player who tends to favour a more central role
    • Turnbull and Sturridge-have they impressed?
    • Kalou-how has he played?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

At last he says it
    TERRY 'TOTALLY COMMITTED' TO CHELSEA

Chelsea captain John Terry has confirmed he is "totally committed" to the Stamford Bridge side.

The England skipper, 28, has responded to persistent reports linking him with a big money move to Manchester City by releasing a statement in which he insists he has never contemplated leaving Chelsea.

The statement said: "There has been a lot of speculation recently about my future and I want to clear this up once and for all.

"I am totally committed to Chelsea and always have been.

"Chelsea have also made it clear to me consistently that there was never any intention to accept any kind of offer."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I'm afraid I haven't seen any of the preseason, has anyone on here seen all the games?

If so (in your opinion):
    • Who has impressed?
    • Has the style of play changed noticeabley at this stage?
    • How are the new formations working out? I never bought into this 'Drogba and Anelka can't play together in a 4-4-2' myself
    • How does our balance look? We have quite orthodox left wingers, but our right side generally seems to be staffed by a player who tends to favour a more central role
    • Turnbull and Sturridge-have they impressed?
    • Kalou-how has he played?

Style is pretty different. its 4-4-2 with a diamond, and it seems to work. I don't believe in the lone striker personally, and every team always looks much better with two front men, as chelsea have done. Drogba has looked good, and scored some great goals with some support. The balance looks good, but only time will tell if the full backs can help provide consistent width that you will need against top opposition. Having said that, inter and ac milan were dispatched so maybe its been proven? :D

Kalou is rubbish. The occasional flash doesn't make up for the 88 minutes of gash that you get out of him. needs to be moved on.

I think our plan A under Ancelotti is going to be.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Cech,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Bosingwa,,,,,,,Terry,,,,Carvalho,,,,,,A.Cole

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Mikel,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

,,,,,,,,,,,,Essien,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Zhirkov,,,,,,,,,

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lampard,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Anelka,,,,Drogba,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

There are many alternate midfield diamonds that can be used also;

Base of Diamond: Mikel/Ballack/Essien/Beletti
    Left of Diamond: Zhirkov, Malouda, Lampard, J.Cole, Deco, Kalou
    Right of Diamond Essien, Beletti, J.Cole, Anelka, Schevchenko
    Tip of Diamond: Lampard, J.Cole, Deco,

Front two:

1st choice:
    Drogba...Anelka

Ancelotti has been experimenting between these two and also
    playing Shevchenko and Pizarro together.

To be fair Pizarro had a fantastic goal/game ratio last year, better than any chelsea player,
    and shevchenko has looked quite sharp this time around.

Sturridge has impressed too on this tour and imho will challenge for third choice up front and will be a likely sub candidate in matches.

I have not seen too much of Deco, but he appeared to have a great game against inter, will definitely watch out for him tomorrow.

If Pirlo came in he could challenge for the tip and right of the diamond.

We have the league wrapped up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

If Pirlo came in he could challenge for the tip and right of the diamond.

Chelsea really dont need another midfielder. They have mikel, essein, lampard, ballack, deco, malouda, kalou, Cole, Zhirkov, etc. etc.

As much as I rate pirlo, chelsea are the only one of the big 4 who don't look like they need him.

Centre-half and maybe a right back is perhaps two positions that 20 million on another aging midfielder could be better spent.

I agree but I don't see who else they can be talking about when they mention this marquee signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I agree but I don't see who else they can be talking about when they mention this marquee signing.

The phrase "marquee signing" is a bit embarrassing no?

I suppose they could get a big name striker but I don't know who that would be.
    Pirlo would be a mistake IMO especially if they stuck to that formation, he's definitely not a tip of the diamond type player, far from it.
    He's a sitting passing player and needs a good DM beside him.

lol

Anyway.... the only player we need is a class attacking player like Ribery, Pato or Aguero. Would rather not sign anyone unless its one of them.

Don't think we need a centre-half. Assuming Mancienne stays, we have 5 for that position-all internationals-and I was impressed with Ivanovic and Alex at the end of last season. Assuming Zhirkov can cover left-back, I think we have enough defenders. Hopefully the talk of Terry leaving has come to an end, but if City don't sign someone else, I wouldn't be surprised if it resurfaces.

I would like to see us sign a right-sided player. If Sturridge, Pizarro and Shevchenko can contribute, then we will be ok up front, but if not, we should look to sign another striker at Xmas.

We need to have a bit of luck this season wrt injuries. Cech needs to improve-whether he can ever get back his form from his first few seasons at Chelsea remains to be seen.

Sturridge has impressed too on this tour and imho will challenge for third choice up front and will be a likely sub candidate in matches.

28 goals last season should guarantee Pizarro third place

Is this it then?

are we the complete article?

I for one am excited about next year.

edit: I am looking for some chelsea artwork for my sig, preferrably something a bit out there or different, any ideas?

• Advertisement

Not the complete article but we are looking very good

Jaysus, ye are a very very confident bunch aren't ye...

eZe^ wrote: »

Similar to the optimism surrounding Scolari?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

A top striker (eg: David Villa), and a young(ish) back-up right back (someone like Kyle Naughton who Spuds bought) and I would be confident of winning the league.

Essien and Joe Cole will be like 2 world class signings.
    Im convinced that if Essien was fit for the whole of last season we would've won the league. Best player in the premiership IMO. Very underrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Well....we are awesome

Hahaha, maybe, but I think that Zhirkov is the difference this year, not that I think he is fantastic or anything, but he is a genuine winger, whereas Chelsea were given no width when playing Kalou there, as he is more of a striker. Cole and Zhirkov are an excellent partnership to have on the wings, with Lampard behind the strikers there's plenty of goals in this Chelsea side. Essien is also a beast, the best attacking CMF in the world for sure.

blue-army wrote: »
    . Very underrated.

Are you ACTUALLY serious? hahahah, I've never come across a player in the past 3 years to have so little negative things said about him by any opposition fans...

eddiehead wrote: »
    Well....we are awesome

Meh, don't worry, this season it'll be a Zlatan wonder goal that knocks ye out of the CL semi final before we go on to beat the Francos in their own back yard.. ;)

blue-army wrote: »
    A top striker (eg: David Villa), and a young(ish) back-up right back (someone like Kyle Naughton who Spuds bought) and I would be confident of winning the league.

Essien and Joe Cole will be like 2 world class signings.
    Im convinced that if Essien was fit for the whole of last season we would've won the league. Best player in the premiership IMO. Very underrated.

I think everyone rates Essien and isn't Cole injured again already?

Cole is only a small niggling injury as far as I know, should be matchfit a few games into the season.

So to summarize

This year = last years team + Drogba (lets face it with just 5 league goals last year he wasn't really there) + Carvalho + J.Cole + Essien + Zhirkov + Deco (potentially could do better and become the Deco of old, if not no biggie)

+ support for the strikers ( take your pick from sturridge, Shevchenko and Pizarro, the scorer of 28 goals last year, plus maybe di santo might show something.)

+ the ambition in Carlo to play 4-diamond-2

+ an exceptionally easy opening 6 games

- age might affect Lampard Ballack, Drogba adversely

Overall I think that is one hell of an improvement on last years team

Why wouldn't we be, and i'm looking forward to knocking yous out. It's gona happen :pac:

• Advertisement

It looks good when you put it like that but what bout the potential for Ancelotti to take some time to get accustomed to the league?
    You are assuming only positivity from him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement