Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

growler wrote: »
    ballack and lampard are too similar to really work effectively in the same team imo , get in each others way and almost force chelsea to pack the midfield.

re Drogba, seems to be very quite on that front alright, hope he's staying !

Yeah I'd agree that the Ballack / Lampard combination never worked but out of deco and lamps, who would you prefer to see in the midfield? And you would you want to see around him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

ballack and lampard are too similar to really work effectively in the same team imo , get in each others way and almost force chelsea to pack the midfield.

TBH I'd pick Lampard every day of the week. Central midfield players that get his quantity of goals are few and far between.

I'd agree. I think it'll be a shame if he goes, he's a great player. I think Deco is far too inconsistent. Great when the team are playing well but don't think he'd dig in like "for the cause". If Frankie boy does go to Inter, I wonder how many more will follow him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I hate Deco.

Do you feel better having got that off your chest?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Boggles wrote: »
    TBH I'd pick Lampard every day of the week. Central midfield players that get his quantity of goals are few and far between.

so would I, but if he is off at least we have ballack as a ,none too shabby , replacement.

I sympathise DesF, i just said it this way "only personal problem for me is that deco has always been a diving ******* of the highest order as well as being a very skillful player, hope to see more skill and less of his theatrics. " rather than try to match your eloquent statement .... :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Sexy football coming to the Bridge!

Whatever about his antics, Deco will entertain. His game isn't exactly based on physique either so there should be plenty left in the old(ish) dog. With Ballack around Deco is a good replacement for Lampard. He may not score as many goals but he'll make others score them instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

Maybe back to the diamond we played when Sheva and Ballack arrived, with Bosingwa and Cashley bombing forward. But I ithink that formation would give Roman the type of football he wants to see and Essian would be wasted in that position.

Essien
    Ballack---Lamps
    Deco

I think Deco can still offer something, he had a deacent euros. Maybe Big Phil can get the best out of him. Hopefully hes the last 30 year old we sign this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Adebayor would be an ideal replacement for drogba, if he does move on, I feel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Jesus, Adebayor isnt particulary popular with the Arsenal fans at the moment as it is but that would be the straw that broke the camels back! :D He would be an ideal replacement alright, would never happen though. Wouldnt be surprised to see Drogba stay at Chelsea tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm happy about this move. Why? I hope it means that Scolari is hoping to stick with a narrow lots of central midfielders formation which I firmly believe doesn't work in the PL. That said, more will become clear as time goes on in the window. Deco however will be better than Lampard in a new system that isn't based on 3 midfielders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

TBH, I'd like to see Mikel be given a good run in the first team and to start the phasing out of Makalele. So I'd like to see a Mikel-Ballack-Essien trio in the middle if we stick with that tactic

yeah i agree about Mikel, I think he will be a heroe this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

yeah i agree about Mikel, I think he will be a heroe this year.

totally agree, i was disappointed he signed for Chelsea(United had him). He hasn't been played much, maybe it's his time to shine!

Scolari sounds very interesting, i can't wait to see what happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

just took a quick look at Mikel's espn soccernet profile, seem's he's been partaking in a little time travel!
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=60503&cc=5739
    2010/11 Statistics
    TEAM	COMPETITION	GS	SB	G	A	SH	SG	FC	FS	YC	RC
    Nigeria	World Cup Qualifying - CAF	2	1	0	0	0	0	0	0	1	0
    2010/11 Season Totals	2	1	0	0	0	0	0	0	1	0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Mikel and Kalou are the future both are gona be top class players IF they get there chance and arent stuck on the bench while we get 2 years outa some past old lad!

Deco is an ok signing.Nothing too special, he better not turn into a lazy bastard on 90k a week though.

Scolari takes the reins at 9 am later today.I expect us too see a good few arrivals and departures over the next 2 weeks.Hopefully we get it right this time and Abramovich gets some patience.

please no.

couldn't handle that, cashley was bad enough and i'm still trying to warm to him but adebayor i don't even rate and it would mean we couldn't sing those semi-abusive (though tongue in cheek ) songs at him anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

chdpoker wrote: »
    Mikel and Kalou are the future both are gona be top class players IF they get there chance and arent stuck on the bench while we get 2 years outa some past old lad!

Deco is an ok signing.Nothing too special, he better not turn into a lazy bastard on 90k a week though.

Scolari takes the reins at 9 am later today.I expect us too see a good few arrivals and departures over the next 2 weeks.Hopefully we get it right this time and Abramovich gets some patience.

Is Abramovich the chairman or is he a coach:rolleyes:
    He always butts him, i wonder if it was Scolari's decision to sign Deco(doesn't seem so if he's started his tenure at 9am)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jul/01/chelsea.internazionale
    wow strong suggestion by Moruinho that Lampard may not move this year,
    he may well be forced to rot by the club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

With the possibility of Ronaldinho moving to the Bridge I can't help but feel that they are compromising a solid winning mentality in favour of a dodgey attempt at entertaining football... Should be interesting to see how this plays out... ;)

I'd say robinho is more likely than ronaldinho.

the one thing i have to say is i would be terrified if united signed robinho.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jul/01/chelsea.internazionale
    wow strong suggestion by Moruinho that Lampard may not move this year,
    he may well be forced to rot by the club

more mourinho mind games, statements like that make it very difficult for chelsea not to take some few millions for him and i really think they would be daft not to at this time given the squad available.

more mourinho mind games, statements like that make it very difficult for chelsea not to take some few millions for him and i really think they would be daft not to at this time given the squad available.

I'm not sure how seriously to take this Lampard nonsense. I was living in italy last year and all summer it was the exact same stuff, Lampard to link up with ex manager but it was Ranieri and Juve. It got the exact same amount of press coverage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Chelsea need to offload at least one of their midfielders now that they have signed Deco, and it seems more and more likely that it'll be Lampard.

So with Ben Sahar gone on loan to Portsmouth our current pool of Attacking plaers is;

Wingers
    Malouda
    J.Cole
    S.Wright Philips

- This is an area where we need work I would be happy to bring in two new wingers and keep J.Cole

Strikers
    Salomon Kalou (22)
    Nico Anelka (29)
    Andrei Schevchenko (31)
    Didier Drogba (30)
    Claudio pizarro (29)

From this Schevchenko and Pizarro are past it unfortunately,
    Drogba may well leave, and anelka has yet to do it in a Chelsea Shirt

I think everyone will agree that this is where we need to work on in this transfer window.

There should be no need to change the base of the team further, unless perhaps Carvalho moves.

We have an excellent defense and

mikel,makelele,essien,ballack, and deco fighting out for what is at moment three midfield spaces, lampard too?

Next Year I would like to see the following two formations used

...........................Cech..........................
    Bosingwa.....Carvalho........Terry...........A.Cole
    ............................Essien.............................
    ................Deco...................Ballack...............
    J.Cole..............................................Robinho.
    ..........................Drogba...............................

with the possibility of Mikel starting instead of deco, and switching places with essien.
    Robinho could be replaced by Schweinsteiger?, Joaquin?, Silva?
    Drogba could be replaced by Adebayor?, Eto'o?, Trezegeut?,

and an alternate formation

..........................Cech..........................

Essien..........Deco........Ballack............J.Cole/Robinho
    .............kalou............Drogba...................

kalou could be replaced by a villa like player/Ibra/Arshavin

• Advertisement

which Attack minded players would you like to sign?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

I have to say Robinho is a top-class player - as a Liverpool fan I hope he doesn't go to the Bridge! He would be a risk, whether he is up to he physicality of the premiership, but no doubting his skill.

I'd love to see him in the premiership, but at Spurs, or City, or Newcastle....

Ronaldo's contract has not been renewed at milan, he could well be headed back to brazil,
    would anyone like to see him at the bridge?
    he would be a good fourth choice?
    I would like kalou to be 3rd choice next year not 2nd as he is this year.
    and drogba stay with a new 2nd choice
    or drogba leave and a new 1st and 2nd choice.

Ronaldo's contract has not been renewed at milan, he could well be headed back to brazil,
    would anyone like to see him at the bridge?
    he would be a good fourth choice?
    I would like kalou to be 3rd choice next year not 2nd as he is this year.
    and drogba stay with a new 2nd choice
    or drogba leave and a new 1st and 2nd choice.

Fat Ronaldo wouldn't be fit to warm Bogarde's position on the bench if he came in.

Personally, I'd be very happy to sell Drogba if we got Ibra and maybe Jaoquin or a good winger

Cech

Bosingwa----Terry----Carvalho
    Cole

--Someone better than SWP-- Essien--Ballack--J. Cole

Anelka/Kalou

Ibrahimovic/Drogba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I dunno, Ronaldo's lost his pace and power imo, the PL would be too much for him, and we all know about 30-something year old strikers moving from Milan to Chelsea...

• Advertisement

u would have to switch ibra and anelka id say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

So with Ben Sahar gone on loan to Portsmouth our current pool of Attacking plaers is;

Wingers
    Malouda
    J.Cole
    S.Wright Philips

- This is an area where we need work I would be happy to bring in two new wingers and keep J.Cole

Strikers
    Salomon Kalou (22)
    Nico Anelka (29)
    Andrei Schevchenko (31)
    Didier Drogba (30)
    Claudio pizarro (29)

From this Schevchenko and Pizarro are past it unfortunately,
    Drogba may well leave, and anelka has yet to do it in a Chelsea Shirt

I think everyone will agree that this is where we need to work on in this transfer window.

There should be no need to change the base of the team further, unless perhaps Carvalho moves.

We have an excellent defense and

mikel,makelele,essien,ballack, and deco fighting out for what is at moment three midfield spaces, lampard too?

Next Year I would like to see the following two formations used

J.Cole..............................................Robinho.

with the possibility of Mikel starting instead of deco, and switching places with essien.
    Robinho could be replaced by Schweinsteiger?, Joaquin?, Silva?
    Drogba could be replaced by Adebayor?, Eto'o?, Trezegeut?,

and an alternate formation

..........................Cech..........................

Essien..........Deco........Ballack............J.Cole/Robinho
    .............kalou............Drogba...................

kalou could be replaced by a villa like player/Ibra/Arshavin
    Ballack and Deco would get ruined in CM together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Stamford Bridge is turning into an early version of Championship Manager by the looks of things.

First off, Robinho, whilst an immensely talented player, it's really hard to know whether he'd have the physicality for the English game.

One thing I'd be annoyed with if I was a Chelsea fan is the fact that players are all looking at Chelsea as an easy pay day. Suddenly Robinho and Ronaldinho want to join, next thing Ronaldo and Adriano will probably want to aswell. Chelsea should be chasing ambitious young (yes I know Robinho is young.. but ambitious??) players, I'm not saying they aren't but all the noises are pointing towards getting in these guys.

Stamford Bridge is turning into an early version of Championship Manager by the looks of things.

First off, Robinho, whilst an immensely talented player, it's really hard to know whether he'd have the physicality for the English game.

One thing I'd be annoyed with if I was a Chelsea fan is the fact that players are all looking at Chelsea as an easy pay day. Suddenly Robinho and Ronaldinho want to join, next thing Ronaldo and Adriano will probably want to aswell. Chelsea should be chasing ambitious young (yes I know Robinho is young.. but ambitious??) players, I'm not saying they aren't but all the noises are pointing towards getting in these guys.

I think Robinho is ambitious, he claims to be as good as ronaldo,
    that sort of confidence breeds ambition.
    Everyone has jumped on the not physical enough for the english game bandwagon, and by that I mean the press the argument doesn't wash with me really, why does a player in his position need to be physical?

Ballack and Deco would get ruined in CM together

in what way?
    I'd imagine my footballing knowledge is not as good as yours and am genuinely interested.

in what way?
    I'd imagine my footballing knowledge is not as good as yours and am genuinely interested.
    Id imagine he means they are too attacking minded players with very little interest in the defending side of the game. Essien is wasted on the right hand side of midfield too imo, he is unbelieveable in the centre where he can dominate games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I think Robinho is ambitious, he claims to be as good as ronaldo,
    that sort of confidence breeds ambition.
    Everyone has jumped on the not physical enough for the english game bandwagon, and by that I mean the press the argument doesn't wash with me really, why does a player in his position need to be physical?

Robinho had a few good games in the middle of last season for Madrid, then just arsed about and got dropped. Madrid even believe he's too lightweight, he's getting a special training plan when he comes back for preseason.

By lightweight, I mean being pushed off the ball. He has the pace on certain players but against very good full backs, pace means feck all unless you have power. Joe Cole and guys like that might be lightweight but they've power and strength in their legs unlike Robinho.

Id imagine he means they are too attacking minded players with very little interest in the defending side of the game. Essien is wasted on the right hand side of midfield too imo, he is unbelieveable in the centre where he can dominate games.

ah right ok,
    would it all work better in this formation so

J.Cole..............................................New Guy/Malouda.

ah right ok,
    would it all work better in this formation so

J.Cole..............................................New Guy/Malouda.
    Yeah Id imagine thats what Big Phil will go with.

I would like to see malouda feck off somewhere else!

• Advertisement

chdpoker wrote: »
    I would like to see malouda feck off somewhere else!

he is a bit useless at times allright, but he does seem to play a good game when out of a chelsea shirt !

more linkage with Robinho

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/7484196.stm

now if he came to chelsea and Ronaldo went anywhere else, chelsea would have to be favourites to win the legaue, his lightweight reputation is a concern though ... same as SWP ...he's great if no one goes near him but a puff of wind sends him flying ..

still rather we had him than anyone else :-)

"Stamford Bridge is turning into an early version of Championship Manager by the looks of things.2

what you mean "turning" i thought we had established that honour years ago ;-)

reports of malouda in swap deal with Eto'o its paper talk but bring it on.

also apparently zenith have accepted a bid for arshavin.

reports of malouda in swap deal with Eto'o its paper talk but bring it on.

also apparently zenith have accepted a bid for arshavin.
    i like those ruours alot

Why on Earth would we ship Malouda out after just one season of rotation football. He has proven before that he has been a quality player and he may come good for us next year as he is settled. It's better than constantly bringing in foreigners and then just loaning out the ones who can't settle in a year. Drogba for example didn't set the world alight in his first year, nor Mikel. Give the lad a break. Also, I thought Drogba and Eto'o hated each other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I thought Drogba was a dead cert to be out of there this summer, is this still the case? I haven't been following chelsea's activity too much, has Scolari mentioned him having a place, or has Drog gone back on his wishes to leave?

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I thought Drogba was a dead cert to be out of there this summer, is this still the case? I haven't been following chelsea's activity too much, has Scolari mentioned him having a place, or has Drog gone back on his wishes to leave?

as I posted on another thread:

Drogba still desperate to leave - Guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jul/06/premierleague.chelsea1

also reports in Italy claim a deal with the player and inter has already been agreed just need to sort out transfer fee.

The Madrid president Galliani says Chelsea made a huge offer for kaka, but it was rejected

"For Kaka, a really big offer has arrived from Chelsea," said Galliani to La Stampa, before also revealing that their had been a number of offers for midfield creator Andrea Pirlo."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Was interested to hear Milan say Chelsea just made an astronomical bid for Kaka. Do Chelsea fans not worry that maybe they are giving themselves a bit of a headache in midfield? Look at the midfielders already at the club:

Lampard, Cole, Essien, Makelele, Mikel, Ballack, Malouda, Wright-Phillips and just recently added - Deco.

If Kaka joins there's surely going to be a lot of unhappy players in future who won't get games. Although in saying that I'd love to see him do his stuff in the Premiership.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

bad news for you via SSN: Arshavins agent says Chelsea have ended their interest in him after signing Deco and Chelsea have denied putting in a bid for Kaka.

yeah the arshavin story is old news at this stage,
    I highly doubt kaka is on his way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Was interested to hear Milan say Chelsea just made an astronomical bid for Kaka. Do Chelsea fans not worry that maybe they are giving themselves a bit of a headache in midfield?

Yes, but id imagine 1 or 2 of em may be shipped off somewhere else during the summer. However, if we were going to make an "astronomical" bid for Kaka, id have preferred that to happen before we went and bought Deco, then if it was rejected make a bid for Deco.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement