Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

DazMarz wrote: »
    All great news!!! Heading over on Sunday, bringing my father to the game. I could only get one ticket, so I'm gonna let him go to it, seeing as it's his birthday on the 4th November. He's a United fan tho...:mad:

I'll content myself with Soho Bar, despite the fact that I'd give up my left one to see this game!!!

Proper mad shop that Soho bar !!! Me and my mate (liverpool Fan) went over to Chelsea V QPR , Coming out of the ground there was loads of hassle and riot police every where , as we got to the corner where Soho bar is , it all kicked off so we made a dash for the bar !

Anyway it was complete mayhem in there , riot police surrounded the bar and would not let any one out till it had calmed down outside , they were not happy at all , got even better when some one started to sing "lets go fu%^king mental" with that everyone started throwing the pints in the air and proceeded to sing every chelsea song in the book , the mate was so freaked he was singing the songs at the top of his voice (they had a bloke up on the little stage area pointing out people who were not singing )

Great bar , it shall be a regular for a pint before and after , amazing atmosphere !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Soho bar = stickiest floor known to man. Went there after Carling Cup game against Bolton. Brilliant atmosphere with a bit of malice bubbling beneath. People wanting to fight each other cos their Zigga zagga wasn't quite up to it! LOL.

Definitely home fans only, had some old bloke giving out to me it wasn't like the old days!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Soho bar = stickiest floor known to man. Went there after Carling Cup game against Bolton. Brilliant atmosphere with a bit of malice bubbling beneath. People wanting to fight each other cos their Zigga zagga wasn't quite up to it! LOL.

Definitely home fans only, had some old bloke giving out to me it wasn't like the old days!!!

Thinking about it now the mate turned around to me when we walked in the door and asked "Why are all the club lights and speakers covered in black sacks"

Was going to tip in after the Bolton game but had the other half with me , so decided against it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Vidic should be fit, Evans is a suitable replacement for an out of form Rio. In fact, I think that was the central defensive partnership in Old Trafford last season ;)

G'way with your little winkey eye fella will ya, the team were a shambles by the time that game came round last year, right now......we are not;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

had a look at paddy power there, drogs to score first and chelsea to win 4-0...
    175/1...
    holy jeebus..

(of course if i were a gambling man id put terry to score first, chelsea win 4-0, coming in at 475/1..nice!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

How do you think we will line up on Sunday lads?

Cech
    Ivanovic Ricky Terry A.Cole
    Essien
    Ballack Lampard
    J.Cole
    Anelka Drogba

Really want to see Joe Cole start, not sure he will start Ballack, Malouda did alright last night so he might go with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Johner wrote: »
    How do you think we will line up on Sunday lads?

Cech
    Ivanovic Ricky Terry A.Cole
    Essien
    Ballack Lampard
    J.Cole
    Anelka Drogba

Really want to see Joe Cole start, not sure he will start Ballack, Malouda did alright last night so he might go with him.

Id say your really close with that team, I can see Joe getting the start, he seems to play well against Utd whenever he plays against them. Hoping for the 3 points to rub Fergies face in it and for hin to finally realise Utd are nowhere near as good as they were last season.

Transfer ban, African Nations Cup, Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, City, we will overcome all those in take back what we deserve.

All hail King Carlo!!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Desperation is creeping into my soul now!!! 75 hours til game and I've still no ticket!!! :(

But I still say Chelsea will win. Drogba in the form he is in will wreak utter havoc through United's back 4, with Anelka and possibly Lamps popping up to create further pandemonium.

Essien will keep Berba nicely shackled. Bosingwa/Ivanovic will cope with Rooney. Ashley is on fire of late and will be well up for whomever he is marking, be it Valencia or Nani or whoever.

Ballack and Essien and possibly Deco (brought on in 60th minute or so I reckon) will keep the midfield nice and tight, letting very little through.

Should be entertaining stuff, Chelsea 2-1 United. Or possibly even 3-1. Cannot wait! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Stupid.
    ChelseaFC wrote:
    New Chelsea chief executive Ron Gourlay has revealed that the club would consider naming rights for Stamford Bridge.

During an exclusive interview with Chelsea TV tonight, his first since succeeding Peter Kenyon, Gourlay made it clear that such a deal would be possible on the proviso the name Stamford Bridge was retained in any agreement with a suitable blue-chip company.

'Retaining the heritage of the stadium is paramount to considering such a move but we think that is achievable and on that basis we would enter into discussions over naming rights with the right partner for Chelsea,' said Gourlay.

'We understand that this is a sensitive issue for our fans and that is why we would keep the name Stamford Bridge in any deal.

'What we are not prepared to happen, and I am sure our fans will appreciate this, is allow our rival clubs in England and Europe to gain a competitive advantage over us in terms of the revenue they can generate through either expanding the capacity of their existing stadia or moving to a new stadium and then invest that upside in their team or the club.

'Those possibilities are not open to Chelsea for the foreseeable future because of the restrictions in expanding our stadium and the issues around finding a new site, so that means we have to be creative and look at our sponsorship architecture and see if we can create new value and new opportunities that keeps us competitive.

'Our stadium does very well at the moment in competing with the bigger, and in some cases newer, stadia of our rivals. But they have more possibilities in the long run than we do. We cannot sell any more tickets to Chelsea fans as we sell out virtually every match within our limited capacity.

'The match day experience at Stamford Bridge and the relationship with our fans has improved greatly through initiatives such as our flexible ticketing policy for all cup matches, the freezing of non-hospitality ticket prices for the last four seasons for Premier League matches and subsidised or free travel to a significant number of away games.

'But we need to keep evolving and move the business forward to support the football side and the club generally. This is a potentially realistic way of doing that.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

I just came on to see what Chelsea fans would think of such a move (the naming rights issue) and I see you have summed it up in one word.
    I think its something that we will see more and more of in the Premiership, as clubs peddle out various stories of financial demand and positive spin on deals like this. It is a bit tacky though.

Adidas Arena @ Stamford Bridge or something crap like that will be the name IF it happens. As long as its still refered to as Stamford Bridge and we get a chunk of $$$ won't be too bad. Still wish they wouldn't boher though, Abramovich would splash out 40M outa his pocket to sign Aguero or someone, why does he care if we get 15M for naming rights :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

I guess its a balancing act, that because of the way UEFA seem to be homing in on accounts and stuff, that they will want to get income from accountable commercial avenues, rather than a "donation" as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

no big deal really unless it was a totally ridiculous name / one that had some unfortunate rhyming alternatives, the newcastle farce is a great example of how not to do it but I don't see how you could retain Stamford Bridge and give naming rights just doesn't work.

anyway probabaly just some hot air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Is Ken Bates's decision to sell the pitch off to 100's of people therefore stopping it ever being developed now possibly holding the club back ?

So for example if they wanted to knock the two hotels and maybe expand the stadium I assume they can't really move the playing surface as such... IIRC the terms of sale to the ' Chelsea Pitch Owners ' ( of which I have a couple of friends ) stipulates that it can only be used for sports or something.

As for renaming , well I have no real qualms over that , after all it will always be ' The Bridge ' . I would be very upset if they tried to rename the MH stand however.

I may of course be talking out of my behind :-) It's just some thoughts to hang out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

the problem with developing the stadium isn't bates, pitch owners or anything else, its Fulham Council and their concerns about the ability of Fulham Broadway and the surrounding streets being able to cope with an increased number of bodies on matchdays. So unless we move to a new site completely, like Earl's Court we can't expand the Bridge.

Not sure I even want a new shiny stadium though, happy where we are.

• Advertisement

Ban suspended, woop!

CHD wrote: »
    Ban suspended, woop!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

its gonna be a fantastic jan, who we buying first!!

surely aguero is top of the list, they'l surely be knocked out of the champs league by then, so he wont mind moving!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Has to be Aguero, just f'in has to be!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

does the suspended bit not mean that youu will most likely not be able to sign anyone in the Summer when it might actually be more important to get players in. I mean atm i think Chelseas squad is good enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

And who will you be selling to fund any new players?

greendom wrote: »
    And who will you be selling to fund any new players?

Meh, probably a yacht or something

does the suspended bit not mean that youu will most likely not be able to sign anyone in the Summer when it might actually be more important to get players in. I mean atm i think Chelseas squad is good enough

Wouldn't have been able to sign anyone in the summer anyway. The ban was for 2 windows.

As long as they don't panic buy, quality over quantity. Every selling club will be rubbing their hands together for the January window knowing Chelsea will be desperate (ish), to sign a couple of additions to their squad.

Could always sell Kalou/Mikel/Deco to earn a couple of quid.

Tbh I'm not worried in the slightest about this year, never was, even considering the ACN. If we bring in 2 good young players in January I'd be happy enough, I'm really only concerned about the average age of the squad NEXT season, I just think it might be a bridge too far to expect the likes of Ballack, Deco, Drogba etc to mount a title challenge without having added at least 1 or 2 new young players. Point being if we do invest in January it won't be because we need new players in January.

eddiehead wrote: »
    Meh, probably a yacht or something
    WIN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

I'd love to see Pato come in. Probably impossible to get but he's a fantastic player and young enough to build on for the future.

Very unlikely to sell Kalou or Mikel considering they've just signed new contracts

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Wouldn't have been able to sign anyone in the summer anyway. The ban was for 2 windows.

true but is it not suspended pending the appeal and is there not already precident that after the appeal it will be kicked back to only 1 transfer window you wont be able to buy during? therefore this suspension in my eyes only serves to mean you can buy in January but now not in the Summer.

The ban might be scrapped altogether. We will be paying Lens lotsa monies so they will shut up.

• Advertisement

Very unlikely to sell Kalou or Mikel considering they've just signed new contracts

I know, but I can dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

so who do we want to see come in in January?

It would be nice to get ann all star future core and by that I mean a young replacement terry,lamps and drogba

I think that this guy would be great up front and is 21
    ful2220770155f128665ffull-prt.jpg
    my dream signing to be honest

the new lampard
    140271.jpg

or the one perfect alternative to aguero (pato)
    tn1l.jpg
    tto-pato.jpg

Aguero please.

Nervous about tomorrow already. :( Not that I dont think we will win though. :)

Van der Vaart is in dire need of a club and would provide good cover for acon
    vdvaarttoernooi%20018.JPG

same too can be said for the black midfielder vieira
    5f361d3071a33aa2048a251ad3d8132b-grande.jpg

most excitingly of these three is the benfica forward Angel di maria
    Hertha+Berlin+v+Benfica+UEFA+Cup+At4PKx7NL51l.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I'd take Aguero, Hamsik and Di María. Me thinks Pato is over-rated!!!

oh and we are also looking at this guy
    pjanjic from lyonarton20659-0b8de.jpg

would really be great to get a few youngsters of this calibre with players like joe cole,malouda, essien, bosingwa stil having a good lot of years ahead of them to eventually be the experienced core around these young guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

on a side note..
    whohoo Shoulderchip's back!
    (just saying that as i havent seen a post from you this last while.)
    hope the lads are all ready for the game tomorrow, ill be watching it in some pub in Dundalk, for reasons beyond my feckin control, really looking forward to it.

papagormo wrote: »
    on a side note..
    whohoo Shoulderchip's back!
    (just saying that as i havent seen a post from you this last while.)
    hope the lads are all ready for the game tomorrow, ill be watching it in some pub in Dundalk, for reasons beyond my feckin control, really looking forward to it.

Cheers dude,
    I finished college and got a proper job so have had less time on my hands,

yeah it should be class tomorrow alright, I really hope we are up for it too,
    I always hope for too much though, I was dissapointed we didn't thrash liverpool like.

A bit surprised that all the papers are tipping Deco to start, would prefer the Joe show to get a start.

edit: Angel is more of a left winger and is strongly tipped in the Times to be considered a replacement for robinho for city.

On a side note City will be a huge threat if they make 4th spot or higher this year as lots more players would be willing to come to them so maybe I might route for spurs/liverpool after all.

Arsenal are just 2 points behind us now and I feel it may be between the two of us for most of the rest of the year if we get the 3-1 we deserve tomorrow

Team for African cup of nations if we buy no-one

back 5

Joe cole..Ballack..Essien...Lampard..Zhirkov
    .......................Anelka...........................

subs Beletti/Deco/Sturridge/Malouda/di santo (if we recall him)

should be fine considering we don't have any tough games,
    but it would be much better to haver a new striker so we can carry on with the diamond, who knows if sturridge can pull it off by then, he might get some gametime in cl and carling from now on hopefully.

Van der Vaart is in dire need of a club and would provide good cover for acon
    vdvaarttoernooi%20018.JPG

same too can be said for the black midfielder vieira
    5f361d3071a33aa2048a251ad3d8132b-grande.jpg

Lol, so what are you saying? We'll simply be short on black players :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

gucci wrote: »
    I just came on to see what Chelsea fans would think of such a move (the naming rights issue) and I see you have summed it up in one word.
    I think its something that we will see more and more of in the Premiership, as clubs peddle out various stories of financial demand and positive spin on deals like this. It is a bit tacky though.

While I'm not keen on stadiums been named for financial reasons a lot of the time it is a neccessity. I read an article saying that Chelsea lost £67 million last year & they would get £8-£10 million for renaming the stadium.

Lyons tea wouldnt be a bad sponsor though. Stamford Bridge Lyons Arena. :pac:
    Team for African cup of nations if we buy no-one

back 5

Joe cole..Ballack..Essien...Lampard..Zhirkov
    .......................Anelka...........................

subs Beletti/Deco/Sturridge/Malouda/di santo (if we recall him)

should be fine considering we don't have any tough games,
    but it would be much better to haver a new striker so we can carry on with the diamond, who knows if sturridge can pull it off by then, he might get some gametime in cl and carling from now on hopefully.

Unless I have missed something, Essien will be at the African cup of nations too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

mudokon wrote: »
    While I'm not keen on stadiums been named for financial reasons a lot of the time it is a neccessity. I read an article saying that Chelsea lost £67 million last year & they would get £8-£10 million for renaming the stadium.

Lyons tea wouldnt be a bad sponsor though. Stamford Bridge Lyons Arena. :pac:

Unless I have missed something, Essien will be at the African cup of nations too.

Suppose go without a DM put cole in essiens place and Malouda on the wing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

2 ahead of arsenal presuming they win however,

I fear for arsenal more than United

We were lucky today, I think they were tactically better

Great result! I was outnumbered about 30 to 1 where I was watching the match. Thought i was going to be killed by narky United fans! Haha brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Well done on the 3 points today lads. Close game and could have gone either way. Thems the breaks.

Can I just ask ya's - do you see the word Chelski as an abusive one or any sorta slur? I say it out of habit now but mean it in the same way I would call us United or Man Utd, and the same way I would say Pool. Just interested to know.

• Advertisement

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Well done on the 3 points today lads. Close game and could have gone either way. Thems the breaks.

Can I just ask ya's - do you see the word Chelski as an abusive one or any sorta slur? I say it out of habit now but mean it in the same way I would call us United or Man Utd, and the same way I would say Pool. Just interested to know.
    I hate it, its not quite as bad as yous being called Manure or something but it annoys me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

I knew it would be tight, yes Ud prob had more possession but just how many clear cut chances did utd have?
    Special praise for Ivan a superb performance.

Ok lads, so now that the league is over, anybody doing anything nice for the Summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Good contest ,Utd done alot better than I thought they would !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Ashley Cole has fractured his tibia. Bad news for ye.
    Chelsea have been rocked by the news that Ashley Cole has sustained a depressed fracture of the tibia.

The full-back was ruled out of the England squad for next weekend's friendly with Brazil because of the injury.

Cole missed three games after initially sustaining the injury in the Blues' 4-0 home win against Atletico Madrid in the Champions League last month.

The former Arsenal man returned against Atletico last week, but he aggravated the injury in Spain.

Cole played through the pain barrier requiring a painkilling injection in order to feature in Sunday's 1-0 win over Manchester United

It is feared the 28-year-old could face a lengthy spell on the sidelines with the problem.

A spokesman for Chelsea confirmed: "Ashley Cole has not been selected in the England squad for their friendly against Brazil.

"He has a depressed fracture of the tibia, an injury first picked up in the Atletico Madrid home match last month.

"He aggravated the injury before the match against Manchester United and required an injection to play.

"However, he further injured it during the game and has therefore been ruled out of this week's England squad."

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement