Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Anelka injured, Sturridge back on bench. Malouda and J cole start.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

sigh, wanted to watch Anelka run the show today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

linky poos anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

We bottled it. Piss poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Zhirkov was Sublime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Terrible stuff from us.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Ye not looking any better really. Have to say Zhirkov shows promise in the hole. Joe Cole's finishing is absolutely atrocious. How many chances does he need to hit the net? Sturridge has to be 3rd choice striker ahead of Kalou now. ACON is gonna be extremely tough period for us.

I was impressed with Sturridge and I thought Mikel and Zhirkov did well. Ballack was ****ing **** and drogba didn't get going.

yeah zhirkov showed a few flashes of promise, but wer going to need a lot more than that over the coming weeks.
    dunno what kalou was doing on the pitch in the first place, Malouda wasnt a whole lot better either. and joe was getting chances but messing them all up.
    Sturridge played well, hes got pace and hes difficult to mark against. i think we are missing essien something cruel, the last ten mins or so WH pretty much owned the midfield.
    ACON-ohh ballz

We look devoid of ideas we look old and tired, the positives we are 4 points clear, the negatives everything else, Cole Malouda and Kalou were pathetic.
    Zhirkov did more in 15mins than they did in the whole, surely he has to start soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

The lack of width in the team is starting become are real issue , it's seems that the opposition is packing the midfield when playing against us and there does not seem to be a plan B ,

I know cech has been in for a lot of stick lately , but that was a great save from the header in the last few minutes even if it was offside !

Yuri was excellent when he came on , thought Joe cole ran out of steam very early and drogba had a shocker .

Malouda badly needs to find form again and kalou , well what can u say about him.

I despise ballack , a complete waste of space , more interested in having meaningless arguements than playing football, he has been at it an awful lot lately .

Still a 4 point lead at the top for Xmas is not to be sniffed at.

Last two times we were top for Xmas we won the league but performances will need rapidly improve if were to do it again

Really tough game next week away to Birmingham. They are flying at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭FedEx

Yep ... very worried about Chelsea ... I think it's Arsenals title this season...

ACON should be the period when they overtake us ...

Happy that J.Cole keeps proving me right. He is ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I would've been much happier if he proved you wrong today.

I say give Zhirkov a run at the tip of the diamond for a few games. At least he has some genuine pace. And his shooting ability cant be worse than Coles.

Mikel was excellent when he came on but Ballack was piss poor.

smuckers wrote: »
    Mikel was excellent when he came on but Ballack was piss poor.

He did ok but ye just can't depend on him, I was still shouting for him to move the ball quicker at times. But ye I'd start him ahead of Ballack.

We kept possession though something we rarely did in the first half, but I would still like him to be more adventurous.
    Sturridge did well added energy to our attack, Drogs had a mare though nearly scored a screamer!
    Birmingham will be tough but I'm hoping this is just a bad phase, its the lack of motivation from certain players which is worrying, Ancelloti said we looked jaded I have to agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Here's hoping things pick up after Chrimbo, but it's not ALL doom and gloom: 4 points from 6, 4-points clear at top, ''easy'' run over Xmas/New Year.... Hopefully we can take full advantage of this.

But no glossing over that today's performance was piss-poor and not like the usual form Chelsea have and was in no way at all a reflection of the talent that SHOULD have shone today.

Hopfully just a minor stutter step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I dont really get the new keeper debate TBH, Cech has proven himself time and time again, yes I will be the first to say he could have done better with some goals that have gone past him but lets not forget he still has the ability to be one of the worlds top keepers and with Turnbull, Hilaro, Taylor we have enough quality should we need a replacement in house not to spend on a keeper, unless that keeper was Casillas or Buffon then I might consider a change:D

Agree on giving the young guys a chance, but not at the moment, we need our strongest team played to win the next few games and get back on track, I was really glad to see Sturridge get a good run today, looked very similar to Drogba in his play, was good on the bakll and ehld it up when he had to, its only a pity Drogab didnt play with much conviction, other then nearly getting goal of the season he was quite.

Though J.Cole started well but the amount of players trying to play in the centre of the field restricted his influence on the ball.

3 points against a tough Birginham would be a good pressie this christmas though.

Really hope Anelka is ok for Brum, if not wouldn't mind Sturridge starting. Please no Ballack though, I'd actually prefer Mikel.

Cech
    Ivanovic Terry Carvalho A.Cole
    Mikel
    Lampard Zhirkov
    J.Cole
    Drogba Anelka/Sturridge

Would quite like to see that team and how it does on Saturday, Cole has been poor but I say give him a few more games at the top of the diamond.

Thats a good team you picked there, would expect Malouda and Ballack both to drop to bench and Kalou to be replaced by either Anelka or Sturridge.

I am expecting Anelka to be fit for the Brum game, dont think it will be a serious enough niggle to keep him from at least taking a place on the bench, would hope he could start as we missed him against West Ham, his movement and ability to draw palyers away would create space for anybody at the tip of the diamond to run into so hope he comes back.

Johner wrote: »
    Really hope Anelka is ok for Brum, if not wouldn't mind Sturridge starting. Please no Ballack though, I'd actually prefer Mikel.

Cech
    Mikel
    Lampard Zhirkov
    J.Cole
    Drogba Anelka/Sturridge

Would quite like to see that team and how it does on Saturday, Cole has been poor but I say give him a few more games at the top of the diamond.
    Cech
    Ivanovic---Terry---Alex---Cole
    Mikel
    Belletti
    Lampard
    Deco
    Anelka
    Drogba
    I'm guessing he will do that, we would win 5-0 if he did this...
    Cech
    Ivanovic---Terry---Alex---Cole
    Mikel
    Ballack
    Lampard
    Anelka
    Zhirkov
    Drogba
    Subs : Hilario, Carvalho, Belletti, Malouda, J.Cole, Deco, Sturridge.

Ye I like the look of that team. Certainly has to be more threatening than the way we've been playing recently. Probably more solid too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Very much so.

Birmingham have been a little bit of a surprise package this season, and I'd take nothing for granted on the trip up North. Portsmouth and West Ham were, at times, unlucky not to score more. Birmingham will be no pushovers.

The sooner Essien is back, the better.

With Brum unbeaten in the last 6 IIRC, a win would be a great result for us, they are proving difficult to beat and showing a threat at the other end also.

I think alot will depend on how fit Anelka is for this game, hope he can come back and score for us. The performance isnt all that important, Id take 3 points every day of the week against what has been a very good Brum team this year.

Be a really tough game on Saturday, have a feeling my flight will be cancelled. :(

Not long now lads eh? ;)

Aguero-Cups.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Be a really tough game on Saturday, have a feeling my flight will be cancelled. :(

Not long now lads eh? ;)

Aguero-Cups.jpg

Seems like only a matter of time before he joins us, hes been linked constantly with us for 6 months.
    I think aguero would be great for us, his trickery and pace along with low centre of gravity would cause the defenders of the premier league a lot of problems.

His wage demands seem to be the only thing standing in the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Not long now lads eh? ;)

Aguero-Cups.jpg

How likely do you think the tranfer actually is?

Atlético have been struggling in La Liga this year and Aguero hasn't played the last 3 games (Haven't heard of an injury, but i may be wrong) so maybe he wants to leave or the club have decided to sell him.

Repots i've read have suggested 40/50 million in Jan, with Anelka and Drogba both on form, paying 40/50 million to have 1 of the 3 warm the bench seems a bit excessive. Only reason for buying him in Jan is that the Fifa ban may restrict them from signing players untill 2011 and by which time Drogba and anelka will be 34 and 32.

I for one cant wait to see how he adapts to the English game, if and when he does come. He is a cracking talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Bukman13 wrote: »

Atlético have been struggling in La Liga this year and Aguero hasn't played the last 3 games (Haven't heard of an injury, but i may be wrong) so maybe he wants to leave or the club have decided to sell him.

Repots i've read have suggested 40/50 million in Jan, with Anelka and Drogba both on form, paying 40/50 million to have 1 of the 3 warm the bench seems a bit excessive. Only reason for buying him in Jan is that the Fifa ban may restrict them from signing players untill 2011 and by which time Drogba and anelka will be 34 and 32.

I for one cant wait to see how he adapts to the English game, if and when he does come. He is a cracking talent.

you are wrong

he is injured

Id say the time is right to get him, hes still very young and I think this will be his last year at Athelico, because wether it be in January or the summer he will be gone to one of the bigger clubs nd im hoping we can get a deal done before the world cup as that could cause his price to rise.

I reckon 25-30 million should do it and possibly 100-120k a week at the least to fend off competition, but if another team comes in I would like to see what Carlo would do, personally I would rather Pato if we could get him as his size and stature would much better suit the EPL.

Either way, please santa, Pato or Aguerreo for christmas.

Bukman13 wrote: »

Ah I'm hopeful, wages do seem to be a problem. I would be absolutely over the moon if we signed him though, he really is a special player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Headshot wrote: »
    you are wrong

he is injured

Thanks, I wasn't sure.
    Ah I'm hopeful, wages do seem to be a problem. I would be absolutely over the moon if we signed him though, he really is a special player.

I think Atlético would prefer a transfer next summer, it would give them 3months to find a replacement for him.

But if he were to go in Jan, it would give some extra money which could be spent in defense. Apart from Asenjo they have been muck this season (4th worst record in La Liga)

Can Chelsea risk waiting untill the summer to buy him. Fifa may have imposed a ban by then.

I think if Agureo is to leave in Jan, Chelsea may have to pay above their estimation for him.

• Advertisement

spotted this today.
    read during the week that the players were getting tired, hopefully a change is as good as a rest, important few weeks coming up, we need to get back to winning ways properly. anybody else think joe and Zhirkov would be better behind anelka rather than joe and Deco, as is what Carlo says hes going for. and if joe looks as rusty as he did in the last game, id be throwing on Kakuta for the last 30mins or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

That's a Xmas tree formation he used sometimes with Milan. 3 CMs / 2 AMCs / 1 FW. So the onus is still on the FBs to supply the 'width'. Zhirkov would only fit into the left hand side of the trio (he would be wasted there tbh) or at LB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Anelka out for the next two games it seems :(

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5794710,00.html

growler wrote: »
    Anelka out for the next two games it seems :(

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5794710,00.html

Thats not good if he misses the next few games, need him bang in form for when the Drog and Kalou both leave.

Against Brum if he does play the variation of the A.C. Milan formation of 4-1-3-1-1 it could work, go with
    Cech
    Ivanovic, Carvalho, Terry, Cole
    Mikel
    Lampard,Ballack,Zhirkov
    Cole
    Drogba

The formation is versatile as we could go and play 4-3-3 with cole and zhirkov pushing wide to support Drogba.

He could just play Sturridge up there again and stick with the diamond, he played well enough against West Ham to justify a start ahead of Kalou IMO.

**** **** ****. :( He will probably start Kalou.

• Advertisement

**** **** ****. :( He will probably start Kalou.

Kalou will be delighted so, that will be another christmas present for him if he starts after that west ham performance.

Hope he can raise his game from now until the end of the season, hes an ok player to have, a good squad player and thats all at the moment.

I was hopeful for Kalou, but he has had his chances this season and not taken them, I suspect he will start on Saturday but I would much rather Sturridge starting and seeing how he gets on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Kalou has been awful recently, his performance on sunday was pathetic.
    I'd prefer sturridge, kakuta of borini ahead of him witout doubt but unfortunately it looks like he will play.

I'm getting a bit frustrated with the diamond (lacks width)
    what about this team
    Cech
    Ivanovic alex terry cole
    Mikel essien
    bosingwa lampard zhirkov
    Drogba

If i was manager i'd play this team and formation;)

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Kalou has been awful recently, his performance on sunday was pathetic.
    I'd prefer sturridge, kakuta of borini ahead of him witout doubt but unfortunately it looks like he will play.

I'm getting a bit frustrated with the diamond (lacks width)
    what about this team
    Cech
    Ivanovic alex terry cole
    Mikel essien
    bosingwa lampard zhirkov
    Drogba

If i was manager i'd play this team and formation;)

I like the idea of a 4-5-1/4-3-3 it gives us an extra dimension when we nee dto change it, so thats a good idea that I woul dlike see for some games but, in all seriousness you cant be willing to play Alex over Carvalho :confused:

For me I wouldnt put Bosingwa ahead of Ivanovic, at right back its either or IMO and J.Cole/Anelka from that side.

I liek the diamond, it has allowed Anelka play upfront where he is more of a threat, last year when he palyed wide he wasnt as effective as when he went through the middle when Drogba was gone.

And dont get me started on Kalou, with Anelka missing Brum and Fulham it has to be Sturridge, when the guys go to the african nations were going to be missing our main striker and one of the back ups, so I dont see the point of starting Kalou and Drogba when there both off in a few weeks and its going to be up to Anelka and Sturridge with Borini and Kakuta as back up.

While the African Cup is going on id be hoping to see something like:

Cech
    Beletti

Ballack--- Lampard
    J.Cole
    Zhirkov--
    (Kakuta)
    (Malouda)
    Anelka

(Sturridge)

or if we did have Boswinga back in contention:

Cech
    Ballack
    --Boswinga
    Lampard
    J.Cole
    Zhirkov--
    (Kakuta)
    (Malouda)
    Anelka

(Sturridge)

papagormo wrote: »
    While the African Cup is going on id be hoping to see something like:

Cech
    Beletti

Ballack--- Lampard
    J.Cole
    Zhirkov--
    (Kakuta)
    (Malouda)
    Anelka

(Sturridge)

or if we did have Boswinga back in contention:

Cech
    Ballack
    --Boswinga
    Lampard
    J.Cole
    Zhirkov--
    (Kakuta)
    (Malouda)
    Anelka

(Sturridge)

Your 1st you posted is good, it has a good balance to it but I dont see bosingwa playing in CM in your 2nd team, more then likely it will be deco/malouda/belletti with lampard in ballack in there to.

Its Drogba and Sturridge up front against B'gham and Sturridge and Borini against Fulham gonig to be interesting.

Can't wait for this now, really looking forward to seeing how Sturridge gets on. Ordered my taxi to the airport earlier. :)

smuckers wrote: »
    Its Drogba and Sturridge up front against B'gham and Sturridge and Borini against Fulham gonig to be interesting.

Just seen this on SSN, Carlo talking about how he has faith in the young guns. Its a good chance for both of them as its not every week the three strikers in front of you are unavailable. Hope Borini can get a decent performance if hes used.

Start with 3 points against Brum and it will be a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

gavredking wrote: »
    Just seen this on SSN, Carlo talking about how he has faith in the young guns. Its a good chance for both of them as its not every week the three strikers in front of you are unavailable. Hope Borini can get a decent performance if hes used.

Start with 3 points against Brum and it will be a good start.

Have to say we haven't taken full advantage of Utd's recent defensive problems, and may pay for it now with our main strike force reduced or completely missing for games against two form teams in Brum and Fulham.

Looking fwd. to seeing how Sturridge and Borini do - a little surprised not to hear Kakuta's name in the frame also even though he's obviously not an out-and-out striker, but he's as much a striker as Kalou is or ever will be !

Have to get the win at Brum which means Utd. start their easy home game vs. Hull with even more presssure on them. I think we'll need our defence to be solid, and for whichever midfield formation he goes for to play a lot better than they have done of late !

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement