Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

CHD wrote: »
    Top of the league tbh

not for much longer if ye keep putting in performances like that, devoid of any creativity up top, should have signed a striker in the window, obviously ye have no money to spend? hear Abramovich is not willing to spend anymore cause he has lost so much of his personal fortune

obviously on a wind up here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Two tough enough away trips in few days, I'd have taken 4 points before them tbh. Beat Arsenal and all is good. You have two tough away trips coming up yourselves with a tough away CL fixture in between I think. The Old Trafford game is huge. Liverpool will win there too, City will get something at home, Spurs will do you's over hopefully and Stoke will grab a point on the final day.

kinda winding you up

Lol your probably right, in fact I think you have got make Villa favorites for the league right now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

kryogen wrote: »
    Christ ye got lucky last night didnt ye?

shame Hull dont have a bit more quality up top, could have been embarassing for ye then, could easily have been 3 or 4

Yeah it would of been nearly like getting beaten by Burnley :p

Yeah it would of been nearly like getting beaten by Burnley :p

not really, i mean, we are just an average team arent we? possible one world class player in the whole squad, and we all know Chelsea are like the biggest most super dooper team in the history of the game. so ye dropping points to Hull is obviously 758,000 times worse

not really, i mean, we are just an average team arent we? possible one world class player in the whole squad, and we all know Chelsea are like the biggest most super dooper team in the history of the game. so ye dropping points to Hull is obviously 758,000 times worse
    Glad to see you are finally seeing sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

TBH this season has only seen 3 teams play any bit of consistent football in patches, Arsenal up until about 3 or 4 games looked unbeatable, Utd have had a decent run over christmas given there injuries and we have had a great start and until the last 2 games looked like we were going keep it up.

This season is really hard to predict but I know awith our overall squad quailty we will not lose our place at the top, we have put together more top results then any of the top 3 and that will show at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

gavredking wrote: »
    I know awith our overall squad quailty we will not lose our place at the top, we have put together more top results then any of the top 3 and that will show at the end.

hmmm.

you need to sort out your away form.

you've not won since the Arsenal game.

utd are getting their defence back now too.

Chelsea have to be very careful.

though if someone injures Rooney, then it's all yours.

Totally agree SlickRic, away from home recently we havnt been great. The fact that no other teams have manged to be anywhere near as consistent has made it one of the most interesting league's in a long time and also a reason why we have stayed top.

Utd are getting there defence back yes, but upfront for the 1st time in a very, very long time the look light. Bringing in Berba or Owen just isnt going to cut it if Rooney misses a few weeks and they have big games.

Should be an interesting end to the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

What do you lot make of this, and it may sound strange with ye top, but why does Ancelotti persist with the narrow diamond formation?

Fair enough, with Cole (or Zhirkov last night) and Ivanovic down the wings they add a bit of width. But it's such an easy system to defend against in theory especially for sides such as Stoke and Hull who are happy to crowd the center of the pitch and let Chelsea/United/Arsenal go wide to defend their crosses. If there's no width, it's impossible to stretch teams and create gaps for the central players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

What do you lot make of this, and it may sound strange with ye top, but why does Ancelotti persist with the narrow diamond formation?

Fair enough, with Cole (or Zhirkov last night) and Ivanovic down the wings they add a bit of width. But it's such an easy system to defend against in theory especially for sides such as Stoke and Hull who are happy to crowd the center of the pitch and let Chelsea/United/Arsenal go wide to defend their crosses. If there's no width, it's impossible to stretch teams and create gaps for the central players.

Have to agree here....... Chelsea can be far too narrow at times. And it could easily be very costly come crunch time

The diamond works well, very well its just at times id like the diamond to expand to maybe a 4-1-3-2 with two of the central players pushing wide and offering support, instead of Drogba or Anelka going there. To be fair last night the game could have gone either way and after a poor performance from the midifeld i dont think we canblame the diamond just blame the players inthe system.

Huge game at the weekend the diamond will shine.

Huge game at the weekend the diamond will shine.

Here's hoping anyway!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Yep I agree, though the problem wasn't width last night, the midfield couldn't put 3 passes together.
    Time for Flo to be subbed and Zhirkov to come in, Maloda has been pretty awful last couple of games as has Ballack. Mikel back on sunday?

+ 1 DazMarz

The only positive thing I can take from the last two games is it might stir the squad in to action against Arsenal and start to kick us on. That game in hand against Hull and taking 3 points would have gave us a nice cushion but as is the way, we made it difficult for ourselves.

+ 1 DazMarz

The only positive thing I can take from the last two games is it might stir the squad in to action against Arsenal and start to kick us on. That game in hand against Hull and taking 3 points would have gave us a nice cushion but as is the way, we made it difficult for ourselves.

It always seems to me that Chelsea never seem to seize initiative to get a nice bit of daylight between themselves and those following. In fairness to Manchester United, they always do. If you show Man U a SNIFF of a chance or a sideways glance at your jugular.... Forget about it. Chelsea never seem to be able to do that, for some frustrating, perverted reason...

Sunday is a huge clash and 3 points is now a must...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

My god kryogen and to think you had the nerve to call me a troll.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

The thing is we clearly have the best squad but Ancellotti only ever won one Scudetto and the Juve squad he had was absolutely brilliant. I'm not convinced we won't throw this one away and i can't believe we didn't strenghten in the window. Will the ban take into account our inactivity in January if it goes ahead?

Kakuta should be at least getting on the bench, he has to start in some games, how are we supposed to know how good he is if he doesn't play????

• Advertisement

My team for Sunday

Cech

Ivan Alex Terry Cole

Deco

Lamps Mikel Zhirkov

Anelka Drogs

Would like to see Zhirkov in a 3 but its not going to if DD and Na play.

I would like to see how Mikel does further forward. BY the way I can't see it being this team at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭The Davestator

smuckers wrote: »
    I would like to see how Mikel does further forward. BY the way I can't see it being this team at all

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Further forward as in up the road hopefully - the lad has a worse goal record than Makelle!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Further forward as in up the road hopefully - the lad has a worse goal record than Makelle!

At least Makelele was a class DM, arguably one of the best. Poor Mikel is just............ words fail me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Kakuta should be at least getting on the bench, he has to start in some games, how are we supposed to know how good he is if he doesn't play????

I am really looking forward to seeing this young lad get a runout ,

Show some of the overpaid muppets from Tuesday night that every game your playing for your name to be on the starting 11 !

Defo. While Sunday may not be the day for experimenting with teams, in a few league games of so-called ''lesser'' importance, it'd be right to give some of the young guns a run out; Kakuta, Matic, Borini amongst them. All are showing some real and true promise and deserve a run out.

Sunday; I'll take 1-0, 2-1 anything... 3 points is all. It don't have to be pretty, once it's 3 points, I'll be happy.

• Advertisement

DazMarz wrote: »
    Defo. While Sunday may not be the day for experimenting with teams, in a few league games of so-called ''lesser'' importance, it'd be right to give some of the young guns a run out; Kakuta, Matic, Borini amongst them. All are showing some real and true promise and deserve a run out.

Sunday; I'll take 1-0, 2-1 anything... 3 points is all. It don't have to be pretty, once it's 3 points, I'll be happy.

I would love us to start showing what we are capable of ,

Utd stuff hull in there last game and beat them well in there first ,

We scarped the result in the first and were dire in the second game.

Utd made a mockery of Arsenal in there game last Sunday and now its are turn to step up and show that what ever they can do, we can do better.

We have talent and depth throughout the squad , I am really hoping to see something special on Sunday !

I don't care about out-doing any team in terms of performance in a certain fixture. Nor do I care about ''showing what we can do''.

All I want is three points!!!!!:D

As satisfying as it would be to mete out a 3-0 thrashing to Arsenal (again), I'd most defo take 1-0 or 2-1. I don't really care about the means... Once we get maximum points, I'm happy!

Arsenal will be out to prove a point. It will be no walk in the park. Let's hope for a good, solid performance and no more slip ups from bloody stupid set-pieces...

I don't care about out-doing any team in terms of performance in a certain fixture. Nor do I care about ''showing what we can do''.

All I want is three points!!!!!:D

As satisfying as it would be to mete out a 3-0 thrashing to Arsenal (again), I'd most defo take 1-0 or 2-1. I don't really care about the means... Once we get maximum points, I'm happy!

Arsenal will be out to prove a point. It will be no walk in the park. Let's hope for a good, solid performance and no more slip ups from bloody stupid set-pieces...

Quite true :o

Of the 20 we have let in this season 13 have been from set pieces !:mad:

On the plus side we have won the most matchs in the PL in the last 5 mins :D

Quite true :o

Of the 20 we have let in this season 13 have been from set pieces !:mad:

On the plus side we have won the most matchs in the PL in the last 5 mins :D

The set piece softness is the one that is getting to me most; I remember at Chelsea vs. Portsmouth, I was in the stand behind Cech's goal for the Portsmouth free-kick. I remember watching Cech barking orders at the players, making gestures with his hands and so on. And I just thought... ''Here's Pompey's equaliser....'' and sure enough.

It is definitely something that Carlo should be working more on. It is without a doubt our biggest weakness this season (65% of all goals conceded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FFS!!!!!!!!)

But can see Chelsea winning all the same...

By the way, when are you heading over for Sunday's game? I'm just doing the day-trip. If you want to grab a drink before festivities, I'm well up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Arsenal scoring from set-pieces is pretty unlikely unless Vermaelen somehow gets his head on one or two.

• Advertisement

Arsenal scoring from set-pieces is pretty unlikely unless Vermaelen somehow gets his head on one or two.

I was looking at that against Utd on Sunday , they were lobbing balls into the box with not a chance of any arsenal player getting near them .

Im also hoping Arshavin is not in the passing mood , he had so many chances to pass to players in a lot better positions than himself but decided to be a greedy fecker.

On a Chelsea note :

I am glad Drogba played on Tuesday , because he did not look sharp at all, hopefully thats out of him now and normal service will resume on Sunday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Well Tuesday was very disappointing, thought we were very poor. Credit to Hull though they were well worth a point and battled really hard, their support from the east stand was immense one of the best I've come accross. Our end was very quiet second half barely a song, was one of our worst away supports in a long time in terms of singing. :(

We can't let United get ahead if we do I fear they might kick on, we MUST win Sunday.

It's not just Chelsea letting in set play goals, about 60% of all goals in pl are set pieces. Just sky trying to fill their time with some sh*t before speculating more on JT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

We were very good at doing this under Mourinho, who by all accounts is going to replace SAF.
    It always seems to me that Chelsea never seem to seize initiative to get a nice bit of daylight between themselves and those following. In fairness to Manchester United, they always do. If you show Man U a SNIFF of a chance or a sideways glance at your jugular.... Forget about it. Chelsea never seem to be able to do that, for some frustrating, perverted reason...

blue%20scalf.gif

The set piece softness is the one that is getting to me most; I remember at Chelsea vs. Portsmouth, I was in the stand behind Cech's goal for the Portsmouth free-kick. I remember watching Cech barking orders at the players, making gestures with his hands and so on. And I just thought... ''Here's Pompey's equaliser....'' and sure enough.

It is definitely something that Carlo should be working more on. It is without a doubt our biggest weakness this season (65% of all goals conceded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FFS!!!!!!!!)

But can see Chelsea winning all the same...

By the way, when are you heading over for Sunday's game? I'm just doing the day-trip. If you want to grab a drink before festivities, I'm well up for it.

The set pieces on Tuesday nite were unbelievable ,

Fagan standing in Cech's face , Malouda trying to hold Fagan off,

Fagan pushing Malouda about and now both Fagan and Malouda are in Cech's way.

With out a doubt I think when this was spotted after the very first corner , I think a call should have been made for Drogba to sort Fagan out , because he would not of got bullied about the box like Malouda.

I was screaming at the screen every time there was a set piece, tactically I think this was very poor from CA.

Cool , I would be up for grabbing a drink/drinks before the festivities , due to a mix up I have ended up with two flights ! So I can either land in London Heathrow at 11.40 or 9.10 am , or If someone is stuck they can take one of them and just pay the Aerlingus name change fee which is €100

Cool , I would be up for grabbing a drink/drinks before the festivities , due to a mix up I have ended up with two flights ! So I can either land in London Heathrow at 11.40 or 9.10 am , or If someone is stuck they can take one of them and just pay the Aerlingus name change fee which is €100

My flight leaves Dublin at 11:35, should be in or around the stadium by about 2pm, 2:30pm the latest, depending on how trains are. All good!

Phew! Transfer ban lifted according to sky sports news.

Hopefully some exciting signings to look forward to in the summer.

Phew! Transfer ban lifted according to sky sports news.

Hopefully some exciting signings to look forward to in the summer.

Great news that. If no new signings are made in the summer (particularly if, I should not speak of this, things go tits up and we end up silverware-less) I'll be PISSED!:mad:

But seeing as we are looking fairly good on all fronts, the unspeakable should not happen! New central midfielder please... Ballack and Deco are just not up for it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Yep I'm delighted, we may see more of Kakuta now. It must have been difficult for him to be the centre of all this.

Yep I'm delighted, we may see more of Kakuta now. It must have been difficult for him to be the centre of all this.

Agreed, he holds much promise, does young Mr. Kakuta. He promises big things for our club.

Thankfully all this bloody rubbish is over now and that we don't have that spectre hanging over our heads for another 2 seasons!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I missed out on a ticket for Arsenal a few weeks back and bought one for Everton away instead, gutted that I can't go now on Sunday as it gets closer but really can't afford it anyway.

Front row for the Everton game in the away end.:o

Johner wrote: »
    I missed out on a ticket for Arsenal a few weeks back and bought one for Everton away instead, gutted that I can't go now on Sunday as it gets closer but really can't afford it anyway.

Front row for the Everton game in the away end.:o

Yeah, I was really nervous that I wouldn't get a ticket for the game on Sunday... Was going to go to the Everton match, but was too much.

Sunday should be a cracker, with any luck.

Pretty sweet that Lampards natural replacement is already at the club :)

This kid has got talent, his passing is better than alot of current EPL players. Knows where the goal is, ain't afraid of a tackle and is always 1 step ahead of everyone else. He's Irish too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭chalad07

According to Sky Sports Terry just dropped as England captain. I wonder will this have any effect on his performance on Sunday. He looked pretty good against Burnley so hopefully he'll use the Arse game to prove a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

chalad07 wrote: »
    According to Sky Sports Terry just dropped as England captain. I wonder will this have any effect on his performance on Sunday. He looked pretty good against Burnley so hopefully he'll use the Arse game to prove a point.
    Terry should have offered to resign and at least walk away with some dignity.
    Capello was never going to keep him as captain. With Capello England definitely have a manager capable of winning the World Cup.

Whether tha English players have the character/ability well I do not know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭chalad07

blinding wrote: »
    Terry should have offered to resign and at least walk away with some dignity.
    Capello was never going to keep him as captain. With Capello England definitely have a manager capable of winning the World Cup.

Yup you're probably right - should have jumped before he was pushed. Hopefully wont affect Chelsea too much.

Big game this weekend. Fingers crossed that Drogba will perform as he normally does against Arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Killinator

Anyone else find it ironic the replacements for JT,
    Rio was scandalised after not attending a drugs test and is currently serving a 4 match ban for violent conduct, and Stevie G was all too recently involved in a trial over a fistfight:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement