Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Killinator wrote: »
    Anyone else find it ironic the replacements for JT,
    Rio was scandalised after not attending a drugs test and is currently serving a 4 match ban for violent conduct, and Stevie G was all too recently involved in a trial over a fistfight:D

Its Ironic that the people who could decide Terry's Fate - Ancelotti, Capello and to a lesser extend Bandini are all italian, with Italy known as a counrey where its people don't give a hoot about the moral values of their players

The Guardian ran a great piece where the italian media found it hilarious that the english were looking to them for moral consciousness

It it perhaps tragic then that Capello had to yield to media / FA pressure and deKnight his once proud Liege.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

think saying Capello would yield to anyone is pretty strange tbh

he has always been his own man and made his own decisions

he has a track record of it. fair play to him for not being afraid to make the big decision i say

Rio! Rio! Rio!

kryogen wrote: »
    think saying Capello would yield to anyone is pretty strange tbh

he has always been his own man and made his own decisions

he has a track record of it. fair play to him for not being afraid to make the big decision i say

Rio! Rio! Rio!

Personally I think the big decision would be to say sod off to the 24 hour news stories and say I'm sticking with my man, it was very easy to cave to the pressure and dress Rio up as the new captain.

I'm not saying he did cave to the pressure he may well have made the decision for his own reasons (player morale etc) but I think if any person was thrown into make that decision the easier one would be the one he happened to choose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Personally I think the big decision would be to say sod off to the 24 hour news stories and say I'm sticking with my man, it was very easy to cave to the pressure and dress Rio up as the new captain.

I'm not saying he did cave to the pressure he may well have made the decision for his own reasons (player morale etc) but I think if any person was thrown into make that decision the easier one would be the one he happened to choose

If he sticks by Terry he may aswell tell Wayne Bridge to **** off and not bother coming to S. Africa. And then what is Fabio Capello saying as England manager?

If he sticks by Terry he may aswell tell Wayne Bridge to **** off and not bother coming to S. Africa. And then what is Fabio Capello saying as England manager?

Firstly Kieron Gibbs is better than Wayne Bridge and on Clichy's current form Clichy and provided he can recover quickly he should be brought instead

Secondly isn't it Wayne Bridge who threw his dolly out of the pram, should the England manager bend to his will?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

said id post this here to lads

enjoy

good read this

Fans can now support England without mixed feelings

Analysis: Patrick Barclay
    Recommend? (1)

Ferdinand has turned into a thoroughly professional footballer for club and country

Everyone is entitled to a mistake — and few have learnt from one more impressively than Rio Ferdinand. The dim-witted dilettante of 2003, who missed a drugs test and then thought he might fit in this tedious formality after shopping, has turned into a thoroughly professional footballer who deserves to be England captain.

The years since his eight-month suspension by the FA, which cost Ferdinand a place at the European Championship in 2004 — it went to John Terry — have been put to immaculate use.

Ferdinand always had talent, but its harnessing to a formidable physique has been a key factor behind Manchester United’s success in coming through the challenge presented by José Mourinho’s Chelsea and reasserting their position at the forefront of English football.

He has become a team leader, an assertive influence and, despite a couple of glaring exceptions while representing England, shown high levels of concentration since maturing in his late twenties and become, like Terry, a father of two.

In giving Ferdinand the job, Fabio Capello is correcting the error he made in selecting Terry to wear it during the World Cup qualifying matches.

Contrary to the word from the websites, this will have no negative effect whatsoever on England’s chances in the World Cup — Terry will still lead and inspire in the manner of Stuart Pearce — but people of taste will be able to support the team without mixed feelings.

The issue at stake here was never a footballing one. Anyone who has argued along such lines, labours under a misunderstanding of the captain’s role in the game, as Mike Atherton gently pointed out in these pages on Thursday. The England football captaincy is a ceremonial rather than executive duty. That is why a sex maniac may be President or a drunk head the War Cabinet — all that matters in life-or-death situations is that you have the best man for the job — but John Terry is the wrong symbol for English football.

Although anything said about football or its environment is a hostage to fortune, the idea that Ferdinand might be the next public-relations disaster waiting to happen seems a little outdated. True, he was a foolish boy at times in the past and the brief rebellion led by Gary Neville at the time of his England ban suggested that association with the Manchester United concept of right and wrong — they are always right and everyone else wrong — might have helped to prolong his adolescence.

But the right thing has been done. I just wish that it had been done earlier: that the swift authority exerted by Mark Palios on behalf of the FA in 2003 had been exhibited by the present regime under Lord Triesman, so that parents and their children were spared several days of what must have been utter bewilderment about the standards expected by the governing body. Thank goodness for Capello.

Although my choice of captain would have been Wayne Rooney, it hardly matters because he will probably take the armband from his United team-mate after the World Cup. Ferdinand is 31 and will have to overcome back trouble to get through the tournament.

He has been almost audibly creaking over the past 12 months, making mistakes that led to a goal in the Netherlands and the dismissal of Robert Green, the goalkeeper, against Ukraine.

But there is no restorative like the imminence of a World Cup finals and Capello must have made his decision in the belief that Ferdinand will be ready and fully sharpened come June. If he is not, the Italian will have to think again about who should lead the team out against the United States in Rustenburg on June 12. Rooney, Steven Gerrard, Gareth Barry, Frank Lampard; all have their virtues. The main thing is that it should not be Terry.

While we are on the subject of priorities, let it equally be said that the captaincy hardly matters next to the private wounds of Toni Terry and her husband, which everyone hopes will be healed in time.

Who knows? Everyone may be feeling better by July, when, by my admittedly fallible reckoning, England have a very good chance of winning the World Cup.

If it is lifted by Ferdinand, whose good works include energetic anti- racism campaigning, the nation will be united. Terry would have divided us, as he so often has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

any team news for tomorrows big match against them gunners?
    im really looking forward to this game, hoping for a big response after the hull game.
    COME ON THE BLUES!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

CHD wrote: »
    Pretty sweet that Lampards natural replacement is already at the club :)

This kid has got talent, his passing is better than alot of current EPL players. Knows where the goal is, ain't afraid of a tackle and is always 1 step ahead of everyone else. He's Irish too!

Lampard said last night that this kid doesn't even need his help and has it all. Sorted, future 10 time world player of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Firstly Kieron Gibbs is better than Wayne Bridge and on Clichy's current form Clichy and provided he can recover quickly he should be brought instead

Secondly isn't it Wayne Bridge who threw his dolly out of the pram, should the England manager bend to his will?

Stephen Warnock is 2nd choice LB at this moment in time. Bridge won't make it to S. Africa which will be a news story for those who don't pay attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Lampard said last night that this kid doesn't even need his help and has it all. Sorted, future 10 time world player of the year.

He's an exiting talent for us and Ireland. :D

• Advertisement

Back to the top we go, :)

league.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

I think Drogba is a far better free kick taker than Ronaldo..Brilliant goal during mid week and so unlucky today...Great Win :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Tough tough game for us on Wednesday at Everton, United have it equally as tough away to Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Great result / performance / attitude today - more of the same needed on Wes. when I shall be in attendance to see if they can turn over Everton on their home patch.

Carlo needs to work on getting them to apply themselves away as they do at home - 10 mins. of today's attitude at Hull last Tues. would have seen us sweep them away and probably win 2-0 comfortably !

I'm heading over aswell.

Getting the Norfolkline to Birkenhead at 10.00am on Wedensday from Dublin Port, arriving in Liverpool at 5pm.(Have a cabin booked for some rest).

Train from Liverpool to Holyhead(few changes involved) after the game should see me in time for the 2.40 Irish Ferries back to Dublin for 6am.

Bit of a crazy journey but I have work on the Thursday and don't wanna miss the Chels so has to be done. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

I thought Mikel had a very good game especially first half.

Ivan Lamps Drogs Cech Cole Terry very good too, Malouda struggled badly in second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

much like Rooney at United; if you keep Drogba fit and motivated, f*ck me you'll be difficult to stop.

the man is unplayable right now.

We don't rely on Drogba. United rely on Rooney. They will run out of steam.

• Advertisement

When Drogba wants to be he is the best forward in the world.

17 PL goals and 8 PL assists this season in 20 PL appearances is just brilliant.

We don't rely on Drogba. United rely on Rooney. They will run out of steam.

you don't, but he helps a lot.

to be fair, as much as i agree they seem to rely on Rooney more than you rely on Didier, Spud's never injured, so we don't fully know how they'd cope without him.

it would be interesting, but i don't know if they'd crumble.

He won't get injured but there is alot of football in a short time. I think our squad can clinch this.

SlickRic wrote: »
    you don't, but he helps a lot.

to be fair, as much as i agree they seem to rely on Rooney more than you rely on Didier, Spud's never injured, so we don't fully know how they'd cope without him.

it would be interesting, but i don't know if they'd crumble.

They would be grand as they have Mr OG who seems to be banging them in this season.

I think our squad can clinch this.

i hope you do.

honestly.

my ABU side is flaring up again these days.

ABU, tut tut. I love United....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

smuckers wrote: »
    I thought Mikel had a very good game especially first half.

Ivan Lamps Drogs Cech Cole Terry very good too, Malouda struggled badly in second half.

Mikel had one of his best games in the Blue shirt today but still managed put at least 5-6 really bad passes in !

Just back to the hotel room after the game , absolutely bangered !

Met Daz over before the game a quick pint .

1st Half we were excellent , second half we played a very italian type of game , we had our lead and we were holding it , end of .

Bit of a shame as if we had of attacked there was plenty more goals in the game for us , but the 3 points were of the upmost importance today !

Met a load of Irish heads and a good few Nordies back in the hotel bar , and they were all great crack !

Ashley Coal IMO was my man of the match, JT had a very solid game, as did most of the players ,

As someone has already said Malouda had a very poor second half and his lack of tracking back in the second half was very very annoying .

Then again I may be talking hat because I is wasted !!!

Super Blues :D

Good stuff Pete!

_47258691_jt282.jpg

_47258319_drog_ap.jpg

_47258401_drogba_ap.jpg

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Yee-fúcking-ha.....:D

http://videos.sapo.pt/2r4HbPOotLRifI34Ebvg = Fúck yeah....

• Advertisement

Well in lads! :)

So annoyed that I missed out on a ticket atmoshpere seemed brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Arsenal were all huff and puff but they would have never scored if they were still playing right now. A brillant tactical performance and shows the resolve and strength we have to win the tittle this year.:)

gavredking wrote: »
    Arsenal were all huff and puff but they would have never scored if they were still playing right now.

hmmm.

i don't think that's true.

i think you'd still be winning if you were still playing right now, but Cech made a few decent saves.

Arsenal were definitely unlucky not to score but you just felt if they did Chelsea would have upped it.

SlickRic wrote: »
    hmmm.

i don't think that's true.

i think you'd still be winning if you were still playing right now, but Cech made a few decent saves.

Point taking, wasnt trying sound like a gloating prick in my post. :)

Cech did have a good game and dealt with everything that was threw at him and hopefully he can keep up the confidence and help us to a few clean sheets between now and the end of the season that we are going to need judging the way Utd are increasing there goal difference.

Mikel also had a good game and was glad to see JT play well and Carvalho was, well he was Carvalho :)

Special mention to Ivanovic to, its hard to see Bosingwa getting back into the team easily, Ivanovic is playing well this season in Bosingwa absence.

Cech was powerful. Topped off his 250th Chelsea game with his 100th Clean Sheet.

Arsenal really seemed to lack teeth in the final third... But were mopping up in the midfield and in their own half. Two lapses in concentration and they suffered. Wenger should have bought a striker in the transfer window.

All in all.... it was great....:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I was so happy with the defending, commitment, work rate yesterday.

Drogba was immense, really up for it, thought mikel did well in midfield.
    Terry carvalho and cech also outstanding.
    Delighted for cech, hes had so much criticism lately but he was back to his best yesterday.

Cmon the blues.

Id hate to say it was over for Arsenal's title challenge but it is looking like its all but over at this stage. Between ourselves and Utd I cant see both of us dropping enough points to allow Arsenal back into it, so do we take it as a two horse race or do Arsenal have a genuine chance still?

Also +1 on the defensive unit and Cech, you cannot doubt his ability, the defence were rock solid and a force yesterday. When Ricky is fully fit there is really no better defender around IMO.

I wouldn't write them off just yet, personally I think its between us and United but looking at the fixtures Arsenal could go on a good run.

True, I just think at the moment Arsenal's lack of a forward is killing them, Arshavin and Eduardo have done well, but they really need RVP and Bendtner back and fit.

True, I just think at the moment Arsenal's lack of a forward is killing them, Arshavin and Eduardo have done well, but they really need RVP and Bendtner back and fit.
    :pac: really?

• Advertisement

Soby wrote: »
    :pac: really?

I think that he would have been useful yesterday, and should have been brought on at half time, possibly in place of the mostly ineffectual Walcott.

He would have been able to contest for high ball lobbed into the box, against the likes of Terry, Carvalho, Ivanovic etc. who are all very tall, strong defenders who are well able to push smaller players around.

Bendtner it a tall, strong player and while not exactly the most gifted footballer going, he would have possibly made more of an impact yesterday had he been introduced earlier. Would have given Arsenal a target man in the attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

ho ho all,
    jaysus that was some display we were treated to there against a fairly attacking arsenal. they had a few daycent chances but were up against an on form cech and a tough defence and were lacking any aerial threat i thought.
    what about us on the counter, jaysus when drogs decides to play its curtains for the opposing altogether.
    have to say we got the tactics spot on, every man in a blue shirt did his part excellently, delighted to be back on top.
    and roll on everton

Hopefully we can see some of this again in a few months :D

I had a dream last night that we beat Everton 2-0 and that United drew 0-0 with Villa! That would be quite nice if it happened. :)

Not a bad dream, Id also like to add to it though, Utd to lose 1-0 and lose Ronney for the season.

Gift wrap the title and send it our way please. Oh to dream. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Ancelloti confirms Terry will play tomorrow but might be given leave for the weekend cup tie to sort out his personal life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Carlo sticking with same team that beat goons.

Good to see JT playing against Everton. We will need to be good to beat them and hopefully Drogba can get another brace.

This tomorrow please!

Johner wrote: »
    This tomorrow please!

Oh yes!

A bloody peach of a goal. About 3 or 4 of them tomorrow. And we'll need em all. Cos Everton are a real bogey team for us... Seem to always manage to hold us to a draw in recent league games. Is that game in the vid the last time we've beaten them in the league?! That's going back a good 2 years at least if not more...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement