Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

kryogen wrote: »
    ye worried that the lacklustre performances will catch up soon?

or happy to be getting the results while not playing particularly well?

when is your next game against decent opposition actually? im honestly not on a wind up in here, just interested a little

Watching Man City today they dont look any great shakes !

Also Man U have been the experts over the years of not playing particularly well and coming away with the result.

My Dad always said to me that its the sign of a good team to be able to play badly and still get the result !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Any one heading out to watch the game on Tuesday ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I'd be interested in heading out somewhere alright... Hate watching games at home!!! It's on Wednesday, I think, tho...

Where's a good spot to go?

Looks like Ashley is going to be fined £400k by the club over the allegations of his infidelities. Chrissake...

Not something they'd wanna do if they wanna keep the best left back in the world onside, injured or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

DazMarz wrote: »
    Looks like Ashley is going to be fined £400k by the club over the allegations of his infidelities. Chrissake...

Not something they'd wanna do if they wanna keep the best left back in the world onside, injured or not.

I admire them for taking a stand, no player should be bigger than the club. I think it's more for lying about his whereabouts than the infidelities.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    I admire them for taking a stand, no player should be bigger than the club. I think it's more for lying about his whereabouts than the infidelities.

No, I agree that no player should be bigger than the club, but £400k is a bloody savage amount to slap on a player.

Probably is, but word is that the boardroom is sick of the sleaze surrounding the players too.

No, I agree that no player should be bigger than the club, but £400k is a bloody savage amount to slap on a player.

Probably is, but word is that the boardroom is sick of the sleaze surrounding the players too.

I am glad to see this happening , the whole thing between him and JT is starting to become a bit of embarrassment now .

Sneaking girls in before games for Ashley does not show much respect for the club or the fans , especially if he has been tearing it up all nite, he wont be near 100% for the match.

Game is on Wednesday alrite, tuesday is the home leg ! Typo on my behalf :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I pressume the fine is a months wages? Regardless, its an awful amount if its true.

Great news about Essien, should be a huge boost for the last few months and hopefully can push us on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Won't put too much of a dent in his finances. Then again we know how sensitive he is when it comes to financial matters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Anyone heading over for the City game on Saturday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Iolar wrote: »
    A bit off topic but do you think the club should punish cole etc for their behaviour?

No.

Their personal lives, reputations and their self esteem is being dragged through the tabloid mud as we speak and they cannot be feeling too good about themselves. I think that is punishment enough, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

i don't think that their personal behaviour out of work should be anyone elses' business, if their actions affect their work then they should be reprimanded and punished according to the rules they work under.

Cole has been a total plonker, he's embarassed himself but more importantly he's been messing about when he's got important games the next day, for that read him the riot act, for what he does in his own spare time when his performance in a chelsea shirt can be in no way affected, leave him off. I couldn't care less about his morality as long as he plays his best for chelsea at all times. Same for JT and anyone else.

Anyone who looks to these guys as exemplary figures to be put on a pedestal is deranged, they're footballers and their football is all they should be judged by.

1-1 at the san siro, essien.
    Good to see cech back to form on Saturday too, good timing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

Inter fan here, going over to the game Wednesday, have ye got any injuries that will affect your team selection?

Inter fan here, going over to the game Wednesday, have ye got any injuries that will affect your team selection?

Haha, nope. Essien and Ashley the only two I can think of. Should be a cracker of a game.

Good luck, mate (wish I could mean that!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Who'll play left back? I hear Zhirkov is injured and apparenly Ferreira isn't in your Champions Leeague squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

I reckon Belletti will get the nod at left back, possibly Malouda who has played there for Lyon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I know its a long shot but what do ye reckon, Alex at LB against Inter. If you look at there to front men I would rather a natural defender play back there rather in a make shift LB like malouda.

Lets be honest, in his very limited experience at playing there, im willing to bet he isnt played against players like Milito or Eto'o.

Eto'o will look to pull wide anyway, its his natural game, id expect Jose to instruct him to go between the LB and LCB to see if he can get any joy.

Still I reckon 2-1 chelsea, Lamps and Drogba and Milito with Inters.

Alex or Belletti would be my shout. Can't imagine Malouda at left back anymore.

Could be a fatal weakness now...:(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Is Zhirkov definitely out?

• Advertisement

Is Zhirkov definitely out?

Yes. This is straight from the Chelsea FC website:
    Alex and Juliano Belletti will this morning (Tuesday) fly to Italy for Wednesday's Champions League first knockout round first leg. Yury Zhirkov is not part of the squad.

Alex has been passed fit following the knee injury that prevented his involvement at Wolves at the weekend and Belletti is back after a month out with a knee injury suffered during the game at Preston.

Zhirkov has failed to recover in time from the calf problem that saw him withdrawn during Saturday's game so joins long-term injured Jose Bosingwa, Michael Essien and Ashley Cole in not making the trip.

With Paulo Ferreira not registered in the Champions League squad, Carlo Ancelotti will have to weigh up his options to fill the left-back slot.
    Frank Lampard has recovered from the virus that kept him out the last game and travels but Deco remains unavailable.

The travelling squad of 20 is:
    Petr Cech
    Ross Turnbull
    Hilario
    Branislav Ivanovic

Ricardo Carvalho
    John Terry
    Alex
    Jeffrey Bruma
    Juliano Belletti
    John Mikel Obi
    Michael Ballack
    Frank Lampard
    Joe Cole
    Florent Malouda
    Gael Kakuta
    Salomon Kalou
    Daniel Sturridge
    Nicolas Anelka
    Fabio Borini
    Didier Drogba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Malouda at left back scares the **** out of me already

growler wrote: »
    Malouda at left back scares the **** out of me already

Ditto. How long has it been since he's even thought of playing in a defensive role?! He's an attacking player at this stage. Even playing him at left wing back would be dodgy. Can Bruma play at LB or is he just an out and out CB???

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Didn't Bruma play there when he came on earlier in the season?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Belleti or Malouda will do it and be grand. Belletti will get the nod though as he probably knows Maicon and will put him in his pocket and show him the line all night.

Belletti would be my choice; he's seasoned in defence and would do a far better job of it than Malouda, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Its prob going to be Belletti according to Carlo, there is no way Bruma would start a big game like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

id say belletti too and possibly have Lampard tracking back for extra cover.
    cant remember who they were playing offhand but i remember him doing a more defensive game and he played class. nothing got past him.

smuckers wrote: »
    Its prob going to be Belletti according to Carlo, there is no way Bruma would start a big game like this

Yah yah... Reckoned so. Bruma looks class, but for a Champions League knock-out game... No way, not yet. Give it a year or two tho...

But Belletti has the pedigree and the head for this and I reckon he'd be the man for it. We'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

papagormo wrote: »
    cant remember who they were playing offhand but i remember him doing a more defensive game and he played class. nothing got past him.

LMFAO

that is all

• Advertisement

papagormo wrote: »
    LMFAO

that is all

Pains me to say it, but I gotta agree with Kryogen here. I cannot remember offhand the game, but as good as Lampard might be, his defensive qualities, to my mind, are not good. He's a central/attacking midfielder, not a defensive one. Can't see it happening.

While not the best defensively, it's a part of his game that he has worked on and got better at. He does get back and makes some good tackles in the middle of the park.

Yeah, I know.(He put in a savage tackle on Masch against Liverpool in October that more or less led to the Chelsea opener) but at the same time, he's not the man I'd want to have as a holding/defensive midfielder at all. No way. Cannot wait to have The Bison back...:D

shouldnt really be too much trouble to ye tbh, they are just not that good a team.

Never underestimate the Italians. Always seasoned at this shít. Can still see us winning it, but it won't be so easy. Defo need to score at least one out there before I'll be happy.

Iolar wrote: »
    Ya sound very certain mate:D

oh i am pretty certain, Inter are not a great team, they have a couple of players to worry about but Ancelotti will know most of them very well and i would assume he will know how to play them

Chelsea away form hasnt been outstanding lately but I expect Ancelotti's return to the San Siro to end happily for him, hey for me the further Chelsea go in the Champions League the better!

for me the further Chelsea go in the Champions League the better!

How is that?

But I'm confident that it will go Chelsea's way, but it won't be pretty nor easy, IMO.

• Advertisement

How is that?

But I'm confident that it will go Chelsea's way, but it won't be pretty nor easy, IMO.

more games for ye obviously!

Suppose it's good for United's Prem ambitions... Personally, I'd be more in favour of winning the CL than the Prem... Tho preferably I'd take both!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

twas the chelsea vs liverpool game where lampard played defenceively very well im thinking of.
    pre-game discussion about how lampard may well track back:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62291984&highlight=lampard#post62291984

and my very own post match view that he tracked back very well
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055305123&page=124

i think hes well capable of picking up players and tracking back if needs be.
    obiviously im happier to see him push forward but my opinion is if he is required to track back, hes capable of doing so.

LMFAO

that is all
    Kryogen you really are wrong here. HE did it against Pool and United in the diamond this year I think and was immense. He can certainly do the job and I predicted he ill be given that role yesterday as it is a option that is tried and tested this season.

I don't know, I gotta lean towards Kryogen's way of thinking here re: Lampard and defending. He had a few moments of brilliance while in that role, but I prefer to see him going forward. I think he is more effective in going forward. When we have Mikel in the squad, as hilarious as he can be from time to time (or most of the time), he is the holding midfielder I'd have until Essien is back (sooner the fúcking better!!!).

Stoch's agent says Chelsea will offer him a long term contract. He is on fire with Twente this season. Great Prospect. Pacy winger who knows where the goal is. Who does that remind you of :)

• Advertisement

CHD wrote: »
    Stoch's agent says Chelsea will offer him a long term contract. He is on fire with Twente this season. Great Prospect. Pacy winger who knows where the goal is. Who does that remind you of :)

When's Kakuta going to get his chance ? The lad is an unbelievable quality .

Its good to see that we have one or two wingers waiting in the shadows if Joe Cole decides to be a greedy twat and push's for completely unrealistic sum of money !

Kakuta hasn't been great for the reserves recently, his performances have been below par in the last few games. He has still showed some moments of class, scored a cracker against Wolves reserves. Hopefully his form picks up soon. I doubt we will see much of him this year, next year perhaps.

Clifford is a better prospect than Kakuta. The Kakuta love tilts me.

They are both great talents, we have some amount of talent coming through the ranks now.Clifford will be going out on loan next season, he said he was hoping to impress a Championship club so that he can continue learning, and he has certainly done that with his performances as Youth captain and in the reserves.

Stoch was always one I reckoned had a bit of a spark in him. Clifford and Kakuta both up and coming now, looking good. An awful lot of really good young talent coming through Chelsea and the future is looking bright!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement