Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Delighted with the result and performance yesterday. Thought it was going to be a tough match but in all honesty we could have easily repeated last years score line. Deco looked great again and I am happy to see Mikel back from injury along with Drogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

doesn't look like there's much chance of Jt's red being downgraded or rescinded, was for serious foul play rather than a professional foul. Personally i thought it was neither and a yellow at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Clarke confirmed as first team coach for West Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

growler wrote: »
    doesn't look like there's much chance of Jt's red being downgraded or rescinded, was for serious foul play rather than a professional foul. Personally i thought it was neither and a yellow at best.

It was definately a yellow, and Lampard used the words professional foul himself, which i think it was, erry basically being happy to take the yellow to stop the man regardless whether he got lucky and nicked the ball or not.

But a red, with carvalho ready to come in and challenge, not a chance imo.

More inconsistency from the refs. If anything, Vidic's looked more like a straight red, in that Ferdinand was behind him, but a good distance across the pitch so quite possibly/likey wouldn't have reached Keane before he had gotten a shot off.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Was the red not for the the lunge and stamp rather than the sneaky jersey pulling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Mr Alan wrote: »

Ha ha brilliant. i love the quote below. I hope they include an A4 sheet explaining the twirling motion. :pac::pac:

"Chelsea are hoping fans will employ the Latin-style twirling motion when they swing the scarves above their heads during the game, unlike the stretch-above-your-head effect some other teams use."

in other words, Chelsea would like the fans to twirl the scarves like Liverpool have done against them in the last 3 years.

they even name check us in the ****ing statement!

Wow that will look really impressive, can't wait for the game tonight now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

What do you guys make of this....

Link

I think is a shame a club has to do something like this,and whoever penned that piece surly has never been to a football game.Some gems from it...
    'one of the popular neck garments will be hung on each seat'.

Call them what they are scarves.
    "So, a flag in one hand, a scarf in the other"
    Chelsea are hoping fans will employ the Latin-style twirling motion when they swing the scarves above their heads during the game, unlike the stretch-above-your-head effect some other teams use.

i think its embarrasing. you cant buy an atmosphere.

i also think i posted the same thing about 5 posts back! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

they've been doing that for a while now. I remember seeing something about one of their ex-players, does the tours, Clive or summat. But anyway, one his jobs was to place these silly chequered flags beside each seat.

the CL semi-final against us in 2006-2007 was the first time they brought out the free little flags as far as i know.

Christ they must have gotten a fright when they went to Anfield for the second leg and experienced a real atmosphere.

ouch! wasn't there some other thing about fans and an official photo and them having to have the new kit or summat?

this is going to be amazing , wooooo free scarves , i'll get at least 5 and decorate my bedroom when i get home.

Don't really see what the problem is with this tbh, they've given out small flags at all the past CL games and now are adding scarves to my ever growing collection of cfc stuff , great, if it helps get the crowd going grand job.

At least JT got his red overturned

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/7614903.stm

• Advertisement

oh wow, the united fans will not like that one bit.
    although on his current form i would prefer young Alex lining up beside Carvalho.

ouch! wasn't there some other thing about fans and an official photo and them having to have the new kit or summat?

chelsea invited chelsea fans to attend a photo shoot for a big picture that now adorns the wall outside the bridge, it wasn't very unreasonable of them to ask that fans wear the jersey with the current sponsor logo on it, storm in an egg cup.

growler wrote: »
    Don't really see what the problem is with this tbh

Well I think its terrible,you cannot manufacture an atmosphere.

Of course you can, a lot of the modern world depends on manufacturing an atmosphere,
    pop music,
    clubs,
    advertisements,
    banners.
    signs saying "make some noise"
    etc.

what planet ar eyou on?

Of course you can, a lot of the modern world depends on manufacturing an atmosphere,
    pop music,
    clubs,
    advertisements,
    banners.
    signs saying "make some noise"
    etc.

what planet ar eyou on?

In a football context tell me who also does stuff like this...?

If the fans **** scarfs why don't they do what fans of every other club in the world do and buy them

• Advertisement

not football clubs, though. Surely being a fan implies that you don't need reminding that you're there to cheer your team on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

A club giving its fans free scarfs on a CL night. Not really ruining football is it,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Any excuse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I don't think any fan is going to complain about a free scarf. It's like getting a free drink before going into a club and complaining they are trying to manufacture atmosphere. it's a nice gesture

Exactly. Don't see any other clubs making a effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

CHD wrote: »

Cant afford it:D

/awaits xavi's reply

Dub13 wrote: »
    Well I think its terrible,you cannot manufacture an atmosphere.

Actually come to think of it, we have the perfect atmosphere at home. For all the talk about Anfield and the Kop and all that, Liverpool lose their all the time? When was the last time we lost a game at the Bridge? We're clearly doing something right and it doesn't look like that record is going to disapear tonight

1-0 Lampard

Most clubs don't need to make an effort.
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    Actually come to think of it, we have the perfect atmosphere at home. For all the talk about Anfield and the Kop and all that, Liverpool lose their all the time? When was the last time we lost a game at the Bridge? We're clearly doing something right and it doesn't look like that record is going to disapear tonight

1-0 Lampard

Just because you have a exceptional home record does not mean you have the 'perfect atmosphere'.It means you play well at home nothing else.

Most clubs don't need to make an effort.

Just because you have a exceptional home record does not mean you have the 'perfect atmosphere'.It means you play well at home nothing else.
    Chelsea hate makes me laugh.

So you're saying it has nothing to do with the atmsophere? If Liverpool strung that record together all the talk would be about the "12th man". Double standards

• Advertisement

Chelsea hate makes me laugh.

I am trying to have a discussion about Chelsea trying to manufacture a atmosphere at home games.How is this 'Chelsea hate'...?

So you're saying it has nothing to do with the atmsophere? If Liverpool strung that record together all the talk would be about the "12th man". Double standards

Any ground with a good atmosphere can only give a team the odd extra 5% or so they need to get over the line the odd game here and their.Chelsea are on a super run at home and I don't think the crowed have anything to do with it.

I am trying to have a discussion about Chelsea trying to manufacture a atmosphere at home games.How is this 'Chelsea hate'...?
    Your argument is pointless.What bad comes from it? Well played Chelsea.

Any ground with a good atmosphere can only give a team the odd extra 5% or so they need to get over the line the odd game here and their.Chelsea are on a super run at home and I don't think the crowed have anything to do with it.

To say the Chelsea crowd offer nothing is ridiculous unless you believe in massive coincedence.

Your argument is pointless.What bad comes from it? Well played Chelsea.

I never said anything bad will come from the attempts,I just think its strange that 1)the club have to do it and 2)they are making such a poor attempt at publicizing it.

The club doesnt have to do it.

To say the Chelsea crowd offer nothing is ridiculous unless you believe in massive coincedence.

As I said maybe they got you over the line once or twice so in a sense they do have something to do with prolonging the run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

You can manufacture long term atmosphere. Once the atmopsphere happens, it might just take on a life of its own.
    I'm well open to correction, but wasn't You'll Never Walk Alone pumped into Anfield for a while before it got taken up.

Whether you should do it or not is another question :)

---

Personally, while Terry's a good player, I and lots of Chelsea fans i know, prefer Alex as a player. Either way, Carvalho's there.

PHB wrote: »

Personally, while Terry's a good player, I and lots of Chelsea fans i know, prefer Alex as a player. Either way, Carvalho's there.

Persona;;y speaking, I'd nearly always have Terry ahead of Alex because considering how much money we have, it's important to keep a home grown player in the starting line-up. He's also better than Alex IMO but has been getting worringly worse the past two years, he used to be the world's best slow defender, now he's barely Chelsea's.

On a side note, looks like the group is sewn up already seeing Roma's collapse at home. Should allow us to focus on the league while given the likes of Di Santo a run out against Cluj

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi,

Just to put my position

I am a Chelsea fan, have been since I was a young young lad, my first game was in 1976 , and I went home and away to virtually every game between 1980-1985 , and until I left London in 2001 I wend about 10-20 games per season.

I am a little surprised by the lack of atmosphere at SB on match days nowadays, when I stood on the Shed there was often a great atmosphere , but I think this was ' lost ' because the ground was so open in those days.

In the early days of the MH stand , the atmosphere was really good , it was funny we used to refer to Highbury as the Library.

But it the last 2 years it seems the atmosphere has somewhat gone down, now I have to admit most of my viewing nowadays is the other side of a tv lens , but it just seems a little quiet.

Last Night I thought the team played really very well , however I do wonder what Anelka is doing on the team sheet , is this just because I don't like him , or am I seeing things correctly ? ( other opinions please )

On the Terry red card...... I am split , I am glad he is playing on Sunday , but TBH , he was an idiot , the ManCity player was covered , and he pulled the guy down , it wasn't careless it was deliberate and cynical.

I don't know about Anelka it would be cruel to say he played badly last night he just appeared unlucky,
    the problem is he appears unlucky so often it couldn't just be a lack of luck.

He was also showing signs of don't point the camera at me just leave em alone after every miss, so his confidence is clearly down.

I don't think any fan is going to complain about a free scarf. It's like getting a free drink before going into a club and complaining they are trying to manufacture atmosphere. it's a nice gesture

Its nothing like the example you've given.

A more accurate comparrison would be, if you got into a pub and there was a free drink waiting for you at your table. Along with instructions; please drink this quickley so it goes straight to your head, then sing loudly with any song that comes on the jukebox, be loud and very visibly having the "craic". i would think the establishment i was in a joke if they did that.

The atmosphere in SB does offer nothing, players who play there are not intimidated by your crowd in the slightest the most noise i remember them making was booing their own team off at half time in a CL game last year when it was still a draw at half time. Carragher has said in his autobiography during the CL semis played their, him and the other players couldnt get over how quiet the place was, it was just like a run of the mill league match, and that spurred them on.
    PHB wrote: »
    I'm well open to correction, but wasn't You'll Never Walk Alone pumped into Anfield for a while before it got taken up.

You are wrong. YNWA was sang at Anfield before and after matches long before george started playing it on the tannoy- that is a recent enough thing, as in the last decade or so afaik.

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just to put my position

I am a Chelsea fan, have been since I was a young young lad, my first game was in 1976 , and I went home and away to virtually every game between 1980-1985 , and until I left London in 2001 I wend about 10-20 games per season.

I am a little surprised by the lack of atmosphere at SB on match days nowadays, when I stood on the Shed there was often a great atmosphere , but I think this was ' lost ' because the ground was so open in those days.

In the early days of the MH stand , the atmosphere was really good , it was funny we used to refer to Highbury as the Library.

But it the last 2 years it seems the atmosphere has somewhat gone down, now I have to admit most of my viewing nowadays is the other side of a tv lens , but it just seems a little quiet.

Last Night I thought the team played really very well , however I do wonder what Anelka is doing on the team sheet , is this just because I don't like him , or am I seeing things correctly ? ( other opinions please )

On the Terry red card...... I am split , I am glad he is playing on Sunday , but TBH , he was an idiot , the ManCity player was covered , and he pulled the guy down , it wasn't careless it was deliberate and cynical.
    Anelka lacks confidence and his work-rate isnt good enough imo. He can improve though and i beleive he will. He has it in him and i hope he helps Chelsea to win trophies in the future, Im sure he will.

Its nothing like the example you've given.

A more accurate comparrison would be, if you got into a pub and there was a free drink waiting for you at your table. Along with instructions; please drink this quickley so it goes straight to your head, then sing loudly with any song that comes on the jukebox, be loud and very visibly having the "craic". i would think the establishment i was in a joke if they did that.

Fair enough, it was a rushed example and your one is apt but either way it's still a free scarf which is a nice gesture no matter how misguided it was. The A4 sheet was admittedly a joke but I think I would be perfectly happy to recreate the "Latin motion" 4 times a game for a free scarf. If anything, I'd say the sheet turned into banter for the louts at the Bridge
    The atmosphere in SB does offer nothing, players who play there are not intimidated by your crowd in the slightest the most noise i remember them making was booing their own team off at half time in a CL game last year when it was still a draw at half time. Carragher has said in his autobiography during the CL semis played their, him and the other players couldnt get over how quiet the place was, it was just like a run of the mill league match, and that spurred them on.

I really hate the Liverpool "best fans in the world complex". Carragher's autobiography smacks of being controversial for the sake of it. If the atmosphere at SB spurred every visiting team on then there's no way we could go this long unbeaten in the league, under 3 different managers with different players. The only common element in that run is the Stadium and the atmosphere, how can you say it plays no part

ok, for serious now, do you think the atmosphere at Stamford Bridge is in any way decent?

• Advertisement

ok, for serious now, do you think the atmosphere at Stamford Bridge is in any way decent?

No, but I wouldn't have it any other way. It clearly helps us at home, the results more than show that. Don't see how you can deny it

Yes great family atmosphere.

No, but I wouldn't have it any other way. It clearly helps us at home, the results more than show that. Don't see how you can deny it

as in like.....

"sssshhhhhhh!everyone quiet and let the players concentrate!"

that kinda vibe?

as in like.....

"sssshhhhhhh!everyone quiet and let the players concentrate!"

that kinda vibe?
    i lol'd

no clearly not like that, why are you making such an issue out of this, I thought you were a Liverpool fan.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement