Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling LHD Car

Options
  • 01-06-2008 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

I brought back a left hand drive car from Germany a few years ago , its now registered here '01 . I was wondering how best to sell it when I need to , what price can I expect to get for it compared to similar RHD . Could I take it on holidays and sell it abroad ?
    Grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction.
    pjq

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I would say you would find it nearly impossible to sell over here, what car is it? It's a buyers market so you would have to sell it cheap if you have any hope in selling it.
    I would also think trying to sell over in Germany could be more hassle than it's worth, it does depend on the value of the car though, so report back so we can figure this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

pjq wrote: »
    I brought back a left hand drive car from Germany a few years ago , its now registered here '01 . I was wondering how best to sell it when I need to , what price can I expect to get for it compared to similar RHD . Could I take it on holidays and sell it abroad ?
    Grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction.
    pjq
    I would say the best idea is to take the car on holidays and sell it abroad, unless it's a special car that someone is actually looking for (some models of cars were never imported to Irish/UK market). I had a very same problem last year with selling my LHD car, so I decided to keep it. Now I am looking for a (particular) car to buy and I can't find it in Ireland or in UK (probably never available here), so I will have to go to Germany to get one, but then I hope to keep it for a few years.
    You can also try to put it on eBay, but make sure that it is advertised worldwide.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I have the opposite problem, a RHD in Holland, no way i can sell it here.

Also in Holland you have to get new headlamps to point the other way when registering it here. Is it the same in Ireland ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Translate your ads into Russian/Polish and put up some flyers in the Eastern European food stores

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Maybe you could aim it towards those that have holiday homes on the continent? A friend of mine recently bought a Spanish registered 1989 535i (LHD) here in Ireland. He has just drivvrn it down to his holiday home in Portugal. He'll leave it there so he always has the use of a car there instead of renting one.
    I still think you are looking at a 15%-20% price difference from the lowest priced version of that car here. That's just by opinion though.

Also with the amount of Eastern European migrant workers around they might be interested in buying a car that they could bring home? So advertise in the Skelps?
    edit: Onkle just got there before me! Slow typing on iPhone!

• Advertisement

craichoe wrote: »
    I have the opposite problem, a RHD in Holland, no way i can sell it here.

Also in Holland you have to get new headlamps to point the other way when registering it here. Is it the same in Ireland ?
    I am not sure about the lamps, but I currently have two LHD cars. The first one before I put it through the NCT, I replaced the headlights anyway and she passed the test. Now I am waiting for delivery from UK with the headlight for my second car to get the NCT sorted, but to be honest I am not sure if it is required to replace the headlamps for the left traffic. I am just doing it for my own (and other road user's) safety and comfort. You can find more in the NCT manual: http://www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Seweryn wrote: »
    I am not sure about the lamps, but I currently have two LHD cars. The first one before I put it through the NCT, I replaced the headlights anyway and she passed the test. Now I am waiting for delivery from UK with the headlight for my second car to get the NCT sorted, but to be honest I am not sure if it is required to replace the headlamps for the left traffic. I am just doing it for my own (and other road user's) safety and comfort. You can find more in the NCT manual: http://www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf

Regards.

I'd imagine they'd fail the alinement test if they are pointign the wrong way, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pjq

Wow , that's a lot of good advice in last 10 minutes , its a VW Glof 1,4 , a friend who does the NCT test for trucks advised me to change the lights before NCT .
    I looked up AutoScout24 to find value of Golf in Poland but they had no PL cars for sale.
    pjq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Wow , that's a lot of good advice in last 10 minutes , its a VW Glof 1,4 , a friend who does the NCT test for trucks advised me to change the lights before NCT .
    I looked up AutoScout24 to find value of Golf in Poland but while they had no PL cars for sale.
    pjq

Maybe you could sell it back in Germany as it was deregistered from that country, I couldnt see the Germans looking to double tax a car.

I looked up AutoScout24 to find value of Golf in Poland but while they had no PL cars for sale.
    pjq
    Hi PJ,
    Please have a look here:
    http://allegro.pl/search.php?string=1.4&from_showcat=1&category=12758&country=1
    (VW Golf 1.4 reg. 97-03).
    To get the currency exhange rate, go to the following website:
    http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Regards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Hello, i may be interested in your car. Is it for sale now? How much do you hope to get for it?

Advertisement