Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Might Change Car...whats the best?

Options
  • 01-06-2008 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of changing my motor again. Had a thread awhile back about getting a brera but a few more options have opened up.

So my choices are:

2006/7 BMW 730D SE
    540426-1.jpg

2006/7 Audi A6 2.7 / 3.0 TD S-Line
    532656-1.jpg

2007 Alfa Romeo Brera 2.4 JTDM
    481538-3.jpg

2007 Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDM
    431877-1.jpg

2001 Maserati 3200 FH
    405877-1.jpg

2004 Honda Accord 2.2 i-CTDI (My Current Motor)
    10455231a4399320930b252442572l.jpg

The BMW is the biggest, and will prob hold its value when it comes to reselling, but im not won over by its looks.

The A6 i think is very tasty car, and the s-line has the spec id want, but reviews say the ride is harsh, esp with 18" wheels and tyre roar can be loudish. also cant decide between the 2.7 and 3.0 TD engine

The Brera is a tasty car, looks the business, but its heavy for a 2door and its resale is a problem.

The 159 is roomier than the brera, still looks the part, but the resale is still an issue.

The maserati is my, what if i wasnt thinking straight choice. the car id test drive and buy without thinking about the consequences like 19mpg etc.

The then lastly is my accord. I think its a great motor, very comfy but Im after a change, and i would like something that handled better.

What im after here, is a car that handles well, can take corners without wobbling about and with little body roll. It has a bit of poke, but wont set fire to my wallet when it comes to fill up or service. i know im asking alot, but if i get some good pros and cons for the above cars, i might have a better idea,

Cheers
    -V-

Which Motor 115 votes

2006/7 BMW 730D SE
    0%
    20%
    Matt SimisCyberGhostzodJuan PabloPadraig MorqzGandalf23Cmar-IrelandjunkyardballinloughanJoeySullyLuckycharmDonJosekeanebg1L-MTootsScottie99niceirishfellamickdwLauder 24 votes
    33%
    _sheepTheFatDiarmuidbambamMorf3hRedorDeadCionádPlugTry1ngbikoT-Maxxjohnny_ramboninty9erFizmancrosstownknitemaremanTropheusicomAlanstrainorBobbyD10 39 votes
    11%
    jayokBluefoamtesticleNonoperationalcantdecideTony DanzatdcWeaselatorvboldNewApproachmthdmika27eoferrall 13 votes
    Maserati 3200
    11%
    Atomic Pineapple[Deleted User]zilog_jonesJason_G_KE30elmolestoSandwichBirozoom_coolitarumaaSVStevie DakotaTragedyhorsecrap 13 votes
    2004 Honda Accord 2.2 i-CTDI
    22%
    ShayK1CyrusGuy:IncognitocommitedStringJHMEGThe Real B-manMartron445279.ieFuzzyWuzzyWazzaJesperMax_DamageHenry Ford IIIAnan1Paparazzofitzgesedos30woopAntiVirusstretchaq 26 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

It would be the Audi for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Woodgate wrote: »
    It would be the Audi for me.
    +1

OP - would you consider the A8 3.0TDi - probably more comparable with the 730 than an A6?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

+1

OP - would you consider the A8 3.0TDi - probably more comparable with the 730 than an A6?

I actually would love one, but i cant find one in my price range unfortunatly

Automan wrote: »

well the euro r is nice, but if i was to change car, i probably like to try another car other then an accord. just to try somethin new :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

God some very differnt, but quality, cars there Vengeance!

I'd strike the Accord and Maserati personally I think the other cars are better all over.

As was already said how bout an A8

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A8/4.2-Quattro/1009125/

Very nice car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Brera is a seriously beautiful car. Just cos it's not reliable doesn't mean it's not a stunner. You're not going to lie on your deathbed and think about the corolla you once had...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

a wierd range there!

the audi a6 doesnt belong in the same company at the 7 series, so scrap that and substitute the a8 in there!

alas neither the a8 or 7 series will hold their value well, big luxo barges dont, so expect some large depreciation no matter what.

anyway, of all the cars listed, id have the maser ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭quattro777

The Audi...but I would say that wouldn't I

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd go with the Maserati. The most exclusive (badge wise because you dont see many about) and the average joe cant really spot a Maserati as a Maserati.

I'd love to own a Quattroporte someday.

Could probably do with refining you choices a bit. At least maybe decide between a large saloon or a sportier car, then decide which car you want once you've decided what type of car you want.

• Advertisement

cantdecide wrote: »
    Brera is a seriously beautiful car. Just cos it's not reliable doesn't mean it's not a stunner. You're not going to lie on your deathbed and think about the corolla you once had...

Its a great car. my mate has a 3.2 brera and its so much fun spinning about in it. Although there is a slight rattle from the engine at low revs and the alfa mechanics cant find the prob
    Cyrus wrote: »
    a wierd range there!

the audi a6 doesnt belong in the same company at the 7 series, so scrap that and substitute the a8 in there!

alas neither the a8 or 7 series will hold their value well, big luxo barges dont, so expect some large depreciation no matter what.

anyway, of all the cars listed, id have the maser ;)

Well i can either get an 06 or 07 A6, or i can get an 04/05 A8. I was going for the A6 as it was a newer motor, but the a8 really is something

quattro777 wrote: »
    The Audi...but I would say that wouldn't I

Cheers for all the info ya gave me on the a6. helped point me in the right direction ;)
    Stekelly wrote: »
    I'd go with the Maserati. The most exclusive (badge wise because you dont see many about) and the average joe cant really spot a Maserati as a Maserati.

I'd love to own a Quattroporte someday.

Well i love the maserati, but im not sure if my wallet could stand up to the fuel cost of the beautiful sounding 3.2 V6. it gets something like 19mpg and im scared to look into servicing costs.
    Stekelly wrote: »
    Could probably do with refining you choices a bit. At least maybe decide between a large saloon or a sportier car, then decide which car you want once you've decided what type of car you want.

Well ive always had saloon type cars since my first motor. I like the comfort of them as im 6ft 1, and biggish build. I just find some saloons a bit wobbly around the bends, so i was looking for something i can be comfortable in, but can handle the windy roads well.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Well i love the maserati, but im not sure if my wallet could stand up to the fuel cost of the beautiful sounding 3.2 V6. it gets something like 19mpg and im scared to look into servicing costs.

Meh I was only getting 19-20mpg from my Safrane. I'd have driven it forever if it was a Maserati. Sexiness justifies a lot. :D

Servicing I havnt a clue about tbh, although I'm sure with a bit of diggin you could find a good independent to look after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,436 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@OP - your head is all over the shop
    i love the maserati, but im not sure if my wallet could stand up to the fuel cost of the beautiful sounding 3.2 V6. it gets something like 19mpg

No sh1t! :p

Unless you do a huge mileage, the fuel consumption of the cars you list is nothing compared to the other costs of owning them. Why worry about saving €500 a year in fuel costs when your depreciation is €5,000 a year?

unkel wrote: »
    @OP - your head is all over the shop

Unless you do a huge mileage, the fuel consumption of the cars you list is nothing compared to the other costs of owning them. Why worry about saving €500 a year in fuel costs when your depreciation is €5,000 a year?

yup all over the place. thats why im tryin to get as much info as possible. I do about 50-60 miles a day 5days a week. on the weekend i could do anywhere from 70 - 200 miles. I dont do city driving. mostly 4th 5th gear driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,436 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

yup all over the place. thats why im tryin to get as much info as possible. I do about 50-60 miles a day 5days a week. on the weekend i could do anywhere from 70 - 200 miles. I dont do city driving. mostly 4th 5th gear driving.

So roughly about 20k miles per annum? Just to give you an idea: a petrol doing 20MPG @€;1.25/l will cost you about €2.5k more than a diesel doing 40MPG @1.40/l in fuel

A good bit of money, but nowhere near what any of those cars depreciate at

unkel wrote: »
    So roughly about 20k miles per annum? Just to give you an idea: a petrol doing 20MPG @€;1.25/l will cost you about €2.5k more than a diesel doing 40MPG @1.40/l in fuel

A good bit of money, but nowhere near what any of those cars depreciate at

that is a difference alright. what would be the depreciate like on these cars. is there any that holds there value better than others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

cantdecide wrote: »

Ehhhhhh, like who is going to lie on their Deathbed thinking about the cars they've owned?
    Its a sad world if that was and is the case?
    I like me motors - but there's more to life.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I reckon the A6 is a good step upwards from your current motor, a logical progression.

Don't understand all the egging for an A8 TBH... A6 is a lovely design and a more practical size for our increasingly crowded rows. If you REALLY want something that handles though, what about finding a Quattro version?

im sorry but the a6 is a far inferior car to the e60 5 series so i can only assume its miles behind the 7, if its a choice between the two, there is no choice :D

unless its an s6 or rs6 ;)

pburns wrote: »
    I reckon the A6 is a good step upwards from your current motor, a logical progression.

Don't understand all the egging for an A8 TBH... A6 is a lovely design and a more practical size for our increasingly crowded rows. If you REALLY want something that handles though, what about finding a Quattro version?

Well i was thinking about getting a quattro if one came in on budget. I saw this one that i think looks the part
    http://www.allapprovedcars.com/Used-Audi-A6-2.7TD-quattro-S-Line-Saloon-4dr-Car-Stoke-on-Trent--crpId501940856-CarDetails.aspx

im sorry but the a6 is a far inferior car to the e60 5 series so i can only assume its miles behind the 7, if its a choice between the two, there is no choice :D

unless its an s6 or rs6 ;)

I was looking at an S6, and they are well outta my budget. I like the 7series ok, but it doesnt appeal to me as much as an A6. The older 7 series was stunning (thats not an offer on your motor unkel :)) but the new shape 7 has lost the looks IMO.

• Advertisement

whats the budget, surely something like a 530i/535d fits in?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I recently came very close to buying an 04 audi A8 3.0tdi but got alittle afraid of costs to repair etc and resale. Bought a new audi A5 instead. Starting to regret it now. It hasnt the quality of the older Audis never mind an A8. Id be very surprised if you could get an 06/07 bmw 730d within the same price range as the other cars mentioned.

whats the budget, surely something like a 530i/535d fits in?

well i was hoping the keep the price under 24k sterling. I could get a 2005 535d M-Sport for the kinda money, but i was in a 530d and the ride was quite hard, and the interior was bland. its was functional, but boring. I suppose the Audi interior isnt anything special, either, but i personally find it nice. plus a simelar spec'd A6 comes in alot less than the 535d

Now the interior in the maserati................. :D

mickdw wrote: »
    I recently came very close to buying an 04 audi A8 3.0tdi but got alittle afraid of costs to repair etc and resale. Bought a new audi A5 instead. Starting to regret it now. It hasnt the quality of the older Audis never mind an A8. Id be very surprised if you could get an 06/07 bmw 730d within the same price range as the other cars mentioned.

I heard the A8 costs can be scary, esp the 60k service. My mate had an A4, which she changed for a 530, and she said the was a big increase in service costs etc between the audi and the bmw.

I saw a 730d here for less than 25k sterling.

well i was hoping the keep the price under 24k sterling. I could get a 2005 535d M-Sport for the kinda money, but i was in a 530d and the ride was quite hard, and the interior was bland. its was functional, but boring. I suppose the Audi interior isnt anything special, either, but i personally find it nice. plus a simelar spec'd A6 comes in alot less than the 535d

Now the interior in the maserati................. :D

535d sport, thats what you want, and theres a reason they cost more than the a6 ;)

hard ride, harder suspension in the sport - try an se or ditch the run flat tyres ;)

I heard the A8 costs can be scary, esp the 60k service. My mate had an A4, which she changed for a 530, and she said the was a big increase in service costs etc between the audi and the bmw.

I saw a 730d here for less than 25k sterling.

Surprised at that price. Alot of car for that money and surely outclasses the other choices. You have me thinking now! Are you based in ireland?

mickdw wrote: »
    Surprised at that price. Alot of car for that money and surely outclasses the other choices. You have me thinking now! Are you based in ireland?

yea its alot of car, and im still tempted. I live in NI most of the time now, and at my dads place maybe one day a week so ill be buyin in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

You have said that you are looking for a car that handles and that you spend a lot of time driving in 4th/5th gear.
    The 7 series is a lovely place to sit as it eats motorway miles but is by no stretch of the imagination a drivers car. Maybe you should take an extended drive in one over some secondary roads.
    Also that 7 series faces a major depreciation over the next 3 to 5 years.

You have said that you are looking for a car that handles and that you spend a lot of time driving in 4th/5th gear.
    The 7 series is a lovely place to sit as it eats motorway miles but is by no stretch of the imagination a drivers car. Maybe you should take an extended drive in one over some secondary roads.
    Also that 7 series faces a major depreciation over the next 3 to 5 years.

i havent had a chance to drive the 7 yet, just what reviews ive read and from people i know that own them. I dont drive motorways much, so i want somethin that will handle well. my accord is a great cruiser and ok on most roads but in bends it can bounce and wobble a bit, which doesnt inspire confidence. I kinda assumed the 7 would be simelar.

The 5series sport would be alot better around the bends, but the ride is harsh, as cyrus said, due to stiffer suspension and run flat tyres.

I was hoping that the A6 (possibly Quattro) would be a good comprimise. It would get good for wafting down the motor way, but can take the bends well with little body roll.

The more i think of these cars, the more that maserati sticks out in the back of my mind. I wish i could find somewhere nearby to test one out.

• Advertisement

The 730d would be a no no on an irish plate right now. But if I could have a car on a uk plate, i would have one.

Advertisement