Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Might Change Car...whats the best?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

2006/7 Audi A6 2.7 / 3.0 TD S-Line
    I dont think you are on the right track with thinking the 7series would hold its resale better, no "big" car holds its value in this time of fuel concerns and greeness. My personal gripe with the 7series was they didnt have the 535 twin turbo diesel in it when I was considering it.
    However buy big and slightly older and save the money on the initial cost which evens out higher running costs and hopefully resale headaches etc.

Regardless, a 2003/2004 A8 would put you back around £12k.
    A 2005 model £15k ish.

Of course you could consider my own boat of choose, a VW Phaeton, a 2005 3.0TDI for £19k (less for the ropey 3.2 petrol, slightly more for the V10TDI and same for the petrol W12).

Almost as exclusive as the Maserati (looking at Autotraders total for sale of both cars), better finished and looking than an A8 and shares the majority of its components with a Bentley Flying Spur ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Regardless, a 2003/2004 A8 would put you back around £12k.
    A 2005 model £15k ish.

Of course you could consider my own boat of choose, a VW Phaeton, a 2005 3.0TDI for £19k (less for the ropey 3.2 petrol, slightly more for the V10TDI and same for the petrol W12).

Almost as exclusive as the Maserati (looking at Autotraders total for sale of both cars), better finished and looking than an A8 and shares the majority of its components with a Bentley Flying Spur ;)

I actually did look at the phaeton, esp after i saw one on the "Post a picture of your car here, part 3" thread.... must have been yours ;) Theres not that many out there i can find for under 19k that hasnt got huge miles on it.

What are the phaetons like with handelling around corners?

Well was doing more research, and the A6 got one of the best reviews from honestjohn.co.uk

Audi A6 (Four Stars)
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=863&

Alfa 159 (Four Stars)
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=659&

Alfa Brera (Three Stars)
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=988&

BMW 7 Series (Three Stars)
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=536&

Audi A8 (Three Stars)
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=621&

VW Phaeton (Two Stars)
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=604&

I actually did look at the phaeton, esp after i saw one on the "Post a picture of your car here, part 3" thread.... must have been yours ;) Theres not that many out there i can find for under 19k that hasnt got huge miles on it.

What are the phaetons like with handelling around corners?

Yep, thats mine. With my original wheels (18" with fat tires) and stock ride height it was too floaty for my liking. VW changed the wheels to generally larger and wider variants (19 255s) now and they handle better. Mine is running Audi S8 20" with 35-255 width tires (ie OEMs) and its lowered (you can lower Phaetons with a laptop and keep it within spec as all Phaeton have Air Suspension) and the handling is far better than a 2.6ton car should have. The 3.0TDI, 3.2petrol and 4.2L V8 Petrol all are considered the "small" Phaetons as they have lighter engines and no doubt handle a little better too.

As they have air suspension they also have a option in the menu to raise the car to a "high suspension" mode to give yourself extra clearance on very bad roads. I make use of that fairly often on a certain road around here.

The V10 TDI has decent fuel economy (25mpg+), rated for Biodiesel and doesnt have a timing chain, it has a gear system (yes, like a tractor ;) ) so thats one less service item and a major $ saving at that. Resale of course is the issue and there are only 2 VW dealers in Ireland that service them (obviously you could go independant if you want though).

I would only suggest the Phaeton as someone said, you were all over the place anyway. :p

EDIT: Lol at the HonestJohn Phaeton review. Its got some major fans in the press and some major detractors. It all depends on if they "get it" or not. It is too expensive "for a VW" though (new).

I would only suggest the Phaeton as someone said, you were all over the place anyway. :p

EDIT: Lol at the HonestJohn Phaeton review. Its got some major fans in the press and some major detractors. It all depends on if they "get it" or not. It is too expensive "for a VW" though (new).

yea my head was all over the place. the phaeton looks nice, but not sure about handelling around the twisty bends. not many places i can test drive one.

Headin this week to test the A6, so this should be fun :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Maserati 3200

Alfa 159 for me

yea my head was all over the place. the phaeton looks nice, but not sure about handelling around the twisty bends. not many places i can test drive one.

Headin this week to test the A6, so this should be fun :p

I think the A6 ticks the most boxes on your check list alright.

I think the A6 ticks the most boxes on your check list alright.

Im also leaning towards the 3.0TDi quattro. Seems to get some great praises on various motoring sites. hope they have one when i got to test the A6

rang audi garage in cavan today. they didnt have the 3.0tdi Quattro in stock, cos i wanted to test drive one. Ah well. Gotta look elsewhere now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

My personal gripe with the 7series was they didnt have the 535 twin turbo diesel in it when I was considering it.
    Fear not, the next generation 7 series, which will be shown to the world in all its glory on July the 7th or barely a months' time will finally be offered with more powerful diesels in RHD now that BMW, like Merc are "phasing out" diesels with more than 6 cylinders;)!

Back to the OP: it's hard to know what to recommend, there is such a diverse range of cars there. Personally, I'd like the Maserati:D!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

2004 Honda Accord 2.2 i-CTDI
    I can't believe the two whaling vessels are out in front and the Maserati is so far down the list. I thought this forum was for car lovers!

E92 wrote: »
    Back to the OP: it's hard to know what to recommend, there is such a diverse range of cars there. Personally, I'd like the Maserati:D!

id love the maserati. ive been looking into it too, the 16-18mpg is a bit of drop compared to my accord. But the main problem is from various forums and site, is it can be very expensive to service and maintain, and somewhere in NI that i can get it serviced properly. that would be a worry. Im trying to weigh the cost of running against the depreciation id have with the likes of the A6 or 7series.

but then again, take a look http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/319395.htm
    JHMEG wrote: »
    I can't believe the two whaling vessels are out in front and the Maserati is so far down the list. I thought this forum was for car lovers!

oh for me personally, if i had the cash the maserati would be number one. as i said before, its the servicing etc that may be a prob.

just got a few quotes for insurance.

For an 2006 Audi A6 3.0TDI SLine Quattro - Addditional 598.40 Sterling

For the 2001 Maserati 3200GT - Additional 601.70 sterling

I just renewed 1st of june, and it only cost me 588.06 for the renewal :(

Your renewal was expensive for an Accord. Mine was coming in at €500 fully comp when I had one.

Your renewal was expensive for an Accord. Mine was coming in at €500 fully comp when I had one.

26 with 3yrs NCB. thought it was pretty good tbh.

26 with 3yrs NCB.
    Ah ok, that explains it.

Ah ok, that explains it.

hmmm maybe thats why its expensive for a 370+bhp maserati :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Maserati 3200
    Im also leaning towards the 3.0TDi quattro. Seems to get some great praises on various motoring sites. hope they have one when i got to test the A6

Go for the Alfa. Lovely looking car, real flare to it's design, and a good engine. I drove the 3 litre quattro A6 and while it's not slow, it just is a bit underwhelming. The Auto box in it is very mediocre, it feels very heavy and almost boaty compared to the 2WD 2 litre TDi. I also never liked the looks of them from day one, but now they're looking quite dated.

which is more cost effective over lets say a year

a 2001 Maserati 3200GT getting 16-19mpg + service costs + depreciation

or

a Audi A6 3.0TDI Sline Quattro + service costs + depreciation

My head is defo bein turned to the maserati

26 with 3yrs NCB. thought it was pretty good tbh.
    The BMW and the Audi are for the older gentleman (as is the Accord to an extent). You'd be wasting your youth buying either.

• Advertisement

The BMW and the Audi are for the older gentleman (as is the Accord to an extent). You'd be wasting your youth buying either.

yea i see your point. :D

Lol, simply bizarre statement.
    which is more cost effective over lets say a year
    a 2001 Maserati 3200GT getting 16-19mpg + service costs + depreciation
    or
    a Audi A6 3.0TDI Sline Quattro + service costs + depreciation
    My head is defo bein turned to the maserati

Are you looking for something cool,fun,different or cost effective? I dont see why it matters if one is more cost effective than the other if you are considering 7series and Maseratis. Stick with what you have if you want cost effectiveness, its plain but likely bulletproof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Maserati 3200
    Lol, simply bizarre statement.
    I wouldn't necessarily agree! There's plenty of time for A6 or 7-series ownership later on!
    Are you looking for something cool,fun,different or cost effective? I dont see why it matters if one is more cost effective than the other if you are considering 7series and Maseratis. Stick with what you have if you want cost effectiveness, its plain but likely bulletproof.

Fair statement!! Seeing as he's spending the money anyway, go for the Maserati!

im looking for somethin fun. but isnt gonna cost me a kidney. My accord is bulletproof but ive lost about 4k in depreciation in the last year, so i was hoping the maserati or even an A6 might hold there value better.

im looking for somethin fun. but isnt gonna cost me a kidney. My accord is bulletproof but ive lost about 4k in depreciation in the last year, so i was hoping the maserati or even an A6 might hold there value better.
    It doesn't matter what the Accord has lost last year when comparing to the above. What'll the Accord lose in the next year vs the others? If you are worried about depriation why all the new-ish cars? As a very general rule of thumb 50% will be lost in the first 3 years. The other 50% will take the rest of the car's life.

For £25,000 you could have an NSX under your arse. A bullet proof supercar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

i was looking at a 4200 gt Masser - ( the more reliable one ) - but a previous owner told me he spent most of his day worried when it would go wrong.

It also was on its second gearbox at 32k kms ! ( I didn't ask what that cost )

I don't think the Masser is for you tbh if your worried about 4k depreciation in one year - you might have to drop 7-8k just to sell it on and the smallest problem could set you back your 4k pretty easy too.

There is a black one on carzone by the way - its been on for months now.

I too would love one ( they even sound fantastic ) but these are high maintainance * 2

For £25,000 you could have an NSX under your arse. A bullet proof supercar.

hmmm an NSX you say. i remember looking at them ages ago, but forgot all about em. :cool:

hmmm an NSX you say. i remember looking at them ages ago, but forgot all about em. :cool:
    Yeah, plenty of time later for an old man's car when you're an, eh, old man!;)

The NSX depriates at snails pace too. When it comes to buying they're dear but you could get your money back a year later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nitemareman

2007 Alfa Romeo Brera 2.4 JTDM
    Man it has to be the Audi! Thay are a class car! A friend of mine has one and he loves it more than his kids i think!
    Cool site for getting cars like this is http://www.importacar.ie - they import cars from the UK and come with warrenty etc. they change the reg for you and take care of all that craic! I bought an A4 about 2 months ago and she's a beaut!
    Man last word! Go with the Audi! Cool ass car!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

But you can buy the vastly superior 5 series diesel for similar money.

Advertisement