Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A weekend in Cork

Options
  • 01-06-2008 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hi all,

I am visiting Cork the weekend from 13th to 15th in June with my boyfriend. We will arrive late in the Friday night and we will leave at 16.00, more or less, on Sunday.

Could you, please, recommend me some accomodation (taking into account that we will do the check in on friday at 12 in the night!) and places to visit? the best ones, due to the fact that we are going to stay only 1 day and a half! We are not really interested in shopping, only in beautiful landscapes, castles, parks, monuments, historical places...

Thanks very much!!
    Nat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Quality Hotel do some very reasonable deals, if you're looking for something a little better try the new Jurys Inn or the Clarion.

If the weather is nice try visit Blarney castle or Fota Wildlife Park (you could visit this on the way back to Waterford).

If you're looking for some different in pub terms try the Fanciscan Well brewery where you can try all their own in house brews.

I havent done much historical sight-seeing but the Cathedral is supposed to be quite nice.

Have a look here also: http://www.iol.ie/~discover/orksee.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭rebs23

try here http://www.whazon.com/cork/index.php
    and
    here http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/eventguide/

as for places to see Shandon (ring the bells), Blarney Stone (obviously kiss the stone), Cork Gaol (go to prison), Fitzgeralds Park, Glucksman Gallery UCC, St Finbarrs, the Fort by Finbarrs and of course the English Market.
    They are probably the highlights.
    Enjoy and let us know how you got on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 nateireann

Thank you very much indeed!!!

I have a lot to prepare from now until next weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 nateireann

Hi,

back in waterford I must admit that you have a beautiful city and a beautiful county. On Saturday we visited Kinsale and CLonakilty, and we went for a walk on Cork City at night, there were plenty of people, it is a nice city.

On Sunday we went to Blarney Castle and we regreted not have had more time to enjoy it, it is a really beautiful place!!!! landscape, caves, castle..all very impressive!

After that we went to Cork Gaol and it was a very interesting visit, also impressive to know that there were 4 or 5 people per cell taking into account the size of them. Very sad.

We tried to make the most of the little time we had and I think we did. Anyway, we would like to go back anytime, hopefully we will be able to do it before October (I go back to Spain :( )

Thanks very much for your suggestions! they were really helpful to enjoy our stay there :)

Advertisement