Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dk710 Dk614

• 01-06-2008 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi any students in Dundalk doing these courses (Dk710) or (Dk614)

If so what is the course like such as Work load,Points,Is there many lecutures?

Do you think it is a good course?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Topmanager wrote: »
    Hi any students in Dundalk doing these courses (Dk710) or (Dk614)

If so what is the course like such as Work load,Points,Is there many lecutures?

Do you think it is a good course?

dont think we have anyone doin business on the boards.

I know a few people that do the course though and generally they seem happy, it involves alot of theory and i think a more practical theory balance is something students wanted. I know one lad that finished 1st year business and passed all his tests but decided it was too boring so switched to computing.

If its business your interested in then you will enjoy it, we had a business lecture as partof our computing course and it was a bit text/theory heavy but if its business you like I'm sure thats what you expect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭mel(",)

hi,

know a few people doin the dk710 course and they seem to enjoy it! im doin the event management one and i love it!! theres a lot of business subjects in it such as economics and accountancy etc. lecturers are all good though economics is a bitch!!
    first year is so handy but when second year comes it's a kick up d arse tbh!
    but its a good college with some of the best people i have ever met! so thumbs up from me!

yeh i have to agree with mel the college is pretty decent and it will give you some of the best craic of your life especially if you plan on staying up in one of the housing estates near the college

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Yeah DkIT is a class college, I enjoyed my few months there around Sept to Jan, going back so it has to be good!

DK710 is around 200 points, I think that was one of yer questions.
    http://www2.cao.ie/points/lvl76_07_rnd2.htm

Does anyone know what the timetable is like for DK710? I was hoping to do a two year Business Cert but it's not there anymore, got a letter this morning, pissed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Topmanager

FunkZ wrote: »
    Yeah DkIT is a class college, I enjoyed my few months there around Sept to Jan, going back so it has to be good!

DK710 is around 200 points, I think that was one of yer questions.
    http://www2.cao.ie/points/lvl76_07_rnd2.htm

Does anyone know what the timetable is like for DK710? I was hoping to do a two year Business Cert but it's not there anymore, got a letter this morning, pissed off.

I got the letter for the level 6 course.There goes my back-up course..Now i am left with one course Dk710.The points for last year Dk710 was 135 so i cannot see it going up by much.

• Advertisement

I got the letter for the level 6 course.There goes my back-up course..Now i am left with one course Dk710.The points for last year Dk710 was 135 so i cannot see it going up by much.

I just came to edit my post, yeah 135 is right. That's the course I'll be doing by the looks of it.

I'm going to e mail Colette Henry to ask for a timetable example.

:cool:

I'm going to e mail Colette Henry to ask for a timetable example.

No need, here is the timetable for 1st year this year - TIMETABLE - I'm not sure if the business section is the same but the computing department generally keeps the same time tables every year albeit with minor adjustments to suit lecturer's

draffodx wrote: »
    No need, here is the timetable for 1st year this year - TIMETABLE - I'm not sure if the business section is the same but the computing department generally keeps the same time tables every year albeit with minor adjustments to suit lecturer's

Cheers man, I'll nominate you for Mod of the year on Boards :p

I emailed her but she didn't write back, ah well tis grand now I really appreciate that!

Cheers man, I'll nominate you for Mod of the year on Boards :p

I emailed her but she didn't write back, ah well tis grand now I really appreciate that!

cheers! :D

yeh, i'm not sure what sort of time you'd be waiting for a reply at this stage of the year

Ha no bother man!

Well I worked it out (tried!) and I think there's 25 hours of lectures each week, not too bad. It sure as hell will beat bleedin' Civil Engineering, that course woulda killed me if I'd stayed with it!

• Advertisement

Hey Draff, do know anyone doing Business and Information Systems, Hospitality Management and Event Management and what their views are on them?!!

Hey Draff, do know anyone doing Business and Information Systems, Hospitality Management and Event Management and what their views are on them?!!

Dont Know anyone doin the first one sorry but do know someone doin event management, dont know all that much about it though just that they have to create and manage an event as part of there assesment, it seemed like good craic, the guy I know organised an art show somewhere in the town. Seemed like a pretty easy or fun course but they just called it event management I'm not sure if the hospitality management was part of the course they done :confused:

hey,

im doing the event management course! it really good..very intresting but its a type of course you need to have intrest in! the first year is very simple but after that it all changes! i went on placement this year it was a disaster1!the college had never done it on that course before so they had practically no contacts but im sure they will learn from their "teething" problems! but overall i highly recommend it! we have a lot of lectures with hospitality also,they are practically part of events and they all seem to enjoy their course also! so it's a thumbs up from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lilyrose

hi i would have to agree with mel i am doing the hospitality management course and its great not quite what i expected it to be but its definitly worth checking out- we have almost half our classes with the events classes and share other classes such as finance with business. as for the lecturers the are some of the best in the business - nothing but praise for dkit.:D

Dont Know anyone doin the first one sorry but do know someone doin event management, dont know all that much about it though just that they have to create and manage an event as part of there assesment, it seemed like good craic, the guy I know organised an art show somewhere in the town. Seemed like a pretty easy or fun course but they just called it event management I'm not sure if the hospitality management was part of the course they done :confused:

I know a few peeps that didn't like EM, they said it wasn't easy at all, they were always in the library. But I'm still gonna look into all the courses!
    mel(",) wrote: »
    hey,

im doing the event management course! it really good..very intresting but its a type of course you need to have intrest in! the first year is very simple but after that it all changes! i went on placement this year it was a disaster1!the college had never done it on that course before so they had practically no contacts but im sure they will learn from their "teething" problems! but overall i highly recommend it! we have a lot of lectures with hospitality also,they are practically part of events and they all seem to enjoy their course also! so it's a thumbs up from me!

Placement could be fun though, sounds good! Did you have a good timetable? And how hard were the exams?!
    lilyrose wrote: »
    hi i would have to agree with mel i am doing the hospitality management course and its great not quite what i expected it to be but its definitly worth checking out- we have almost half our classes with the events classes and share other classes such as finance with business. as for the lecturers the are some of the best in the business - nothing but praise for dkit.:D

Sounds good the way the classes are mixed around! :cool:

I'm looking at Food Science and Health at the moment, I might do this.

Anyone know anyone that's done it and what it's like?!! :p

Thank you all!!! :pac:

Is that the timetable for DK 710 (business management course)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I spent 5 years in DKIT, had an awesome time, came out of there with a degree in compchuters....comes highly recommended.

Is that the timetable for DK 710 (business management course)

yes it is
    Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I spent 5 years in DKIT, had an awesome time, came out of there with a degree in compchuters....comes highly recommended.

5 years doin a computer course or did you switch course when you started?? I've just qualified in software development with an ordinary degree after 3 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I'm actually starting back at college in September as a mature student studying business , cant wait!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Mine was a 4 year course, BSc. in Commercial Computing.......you'll notice there is a 1 year discrepency. I had a little slip up during my time, let's just say that 1999 was a good year for parties!

• Advertisement

FUNKZ,

in respect to the exams, first year was fairly handy alot were 50% C.A and 50% exam some were even 70/30 if i remember correctly..second year was tougher though but well managable!! Timetable was ok,not great! this year the 1st years had friday off, we had about two days when last lecture wud finish at 5 otherwise was usually around 3. I think 15 hours a week!

mel(",) wrote: »
    FUNKZ,

in respect to the exams, first year was fairly handy alot were 50% C.A and 50% exam some were even 70/30 if i remember correctly..second year was tougher though but well managable!! Timetable was ok,not great! this year the 1st years had friday off, we had about two days when last lecture wud finish at 5 otherwise was usually around 3. I think 15 hours a week!

What does 'C.A' stand for ???

Continuos Assessment.....it's marks from your coursework from the year that gets combined with your final exam mark to give you your overall result for the year.

50 - 50 means that the final exam is worth 50% of the overall mark, if you get 80% in the exam, it counts for 40% overall. So if you get good grades for your course work during the year, it eases the pressure a bit on the final exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ramiriquez

Heading to DKIT as a mature student myself in September to study 'Computing with Internet Technologies -DK821'. Does anyone know if it is necessary to get a good bit of C++ learned during the summer? I'm a relative beginner as is, and during the interview it was stressed time and again that this course involves a lot of programming, almost to the point of tying to put me off. I guess they were trying to gauge my commitment.

Ramiriquez wrote: »
    Heading to DKIT as a mature student myself in September to study 'Computing with Internet Technologies -DK821'. Does anyone know if it is necessary to get a good bit of C++ learned during the summer? I'm a relative beginner as is, and during the interview it was stressed time and again that this course involves a lot of programming, almost to the point of tying to put me off. I guess they were trying to gauge my commitment.

C++ isn't thought much anymore, Java is what does be thought in DKIT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Ramiriquez wrote: »

I'd take a look at Visual Basic (VB) and VBA coding. I was studying Computer Applications and Support at DKIT and we had some programming courses. VB and VBA were the types of coding we were thought.

peejay1986 wrote: »
    I'd take a look at Visual Basic (VB) and VBA coding. I was studying Computer Applications and Support at DKIT and we had some programming courses. VB and VBA were the types of coding we were thought.

yeh thats what i learned in first year but they now teach first years using a development enviroment caled ALICE

C++ isn't thought much anymore, Java is what does be thought in DKIT

Yeah, that's what I meant. Would've been fun if I'd said that during the interview, would have looked very prepared lol. I'll get up to speed with the suggested (as best I can). Cheers guys

its pretty easy to be honest, I had no idea of programming before I went into it and found 1st year to be extremely easy, you just cant miss a single class in it as if you dont know whats goin on with the coding you'll just get left behind, Ive looked at the course you've choosen and the first semester seems similiar to my first semester but the second semester mentions Object Orientated Development which we didn't look at until semester 3 but still you'll be fine as long as you put in the work and go to the classes

• Advertisement

Cheers, puts my mind at ease (a little!). After 7 years out of the education loop (LC) this is a big step. I'm looking forward to it though and living in Dundalk should be fun. Thanks for taking the time.

Advertisement