Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stupid money question.

• 01-06-2008 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭

I'm going inter-railing in a bit over a month and I need to sort out finances. I haven't done much research on this at all but a friend told me I should be able to use my bank card abroad? This sounds a bit far fetched to me. What's the best option, travelers cheques? Everything is go for the trip except for silly questions like the one I've just posed. I'm getting exited now that the time is drawing near. Can't wait to get out of here!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

You can use your bank card abroad. Just make sure it has the cirrus logo on it and go to an ATM that has the same logo on it. Everytime you make a transaction you will be charged a fee though.

Or you can put money on a visa card and withdraw cash from it in the same manner you would a bank card. Just make sure your visa card is in credit with your cash. If not there will be heavy fees.

i never bother with travelers cheques except for about 100 Euro or so just in case i lose a bank card or something. It will cover me till i get a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

It's true.. as long as your card displays the Cirrus logo or Link which seems to be the case for AIB then you wont have much trouble finding an ATM machine to use. I always tried to take out larger sums of money each time as there is a certain amount that if you take out less then you will still be charged the same fee, basically a minimum fee. Then if you take out a larger sum of money than the limit you are charged a percentage of the sum. Thats not very clear...

Call into your bank before you go and find out the fees involved.

Also make sure you calculate the exchange rates properly before you select the amount :D I ended up taking out a couple of hundred by accident!! Can easily happen when moving from a country with a weaker currency to another with a stronger currency than the euro...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Would the fees apply to a student a/c?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

obl wrote: »
    Would the fees apply to a student a/c?
    I have a student account and they applied to me last summer. Although the fees could have been due to exchanging currencies, I cant remember if I had extra charges in every country, it may have just been the non €uro ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Thanks for clearing that up guys. Should be pretty handy, I'll call into my bank some time this week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement