Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of Livery

• 01-06-2008 10:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Ok so I'm thinking of getting my first horse/pony and was just wondering whether €6240 for a horse or €5200 for a pony is a good price for full livery. This includes stable, feed, hay, mucking out, twice weekly turnout and use of tracks and manege.

I have never own a horse/pony before so dont really know how much these things should cost.

Thanks,
    Gav

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭xxkarenxx

That is the standard cost of livery now. Although I would insist on daily turnout, weather permitting of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭animan

I can also have the horse/pony schooled for an extra cost. I probably could get it turned out more often.

Thanks,
    Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

You should insist on daily turnout in winter and preferably 24/7 turnout in summer. any less than this isn't fair on the horse. about €100 a week is the going rate for full livery and about €50-€75 for DIY livery. Grass livery can be as cheap as €10 a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I'm very proud of myself at the moment, I have my livery all set up, 87 euro a week, full livery, horses turned out every day if need be, food, 1 lesson weekly, stables mucked out, horses exercised if need be. Pony rates I now, I reckon it's only that cheap becasue they don't have a walker, but it wasn't one of my requirements as I'll be with my pony almost every day!
    But yea 87 a week? What do you all think!
    Most places are around 110, 120 or so, so if youe even got it for 100 a week for full livery, I personally think that's good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭xxkarenxx

kerrysgold wrote: »
    You should insist on daily turnout in winter and preferably 24/7 turnout in summer. any less than this isn't fair on the horse. about €100 a week is the going rate for full livery and about €50-€75 for DIY livery. Grass livery can be as cheap as €10 a week.

You cannot insist on daily turnout in winter! I would always leave ours in rather than let them out in the miserable weather.
    Also turnout 24/7 in the summer is not practical for a competition horse or a horse that will be doing a fair amount of work.
    But back on topic OP the prices you got seem realistic for the facilities provided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭animan

DIY and grass livery are not available at my riding school which is the closest stables to me and I'm out there at weekends anyway. I don't intend on competing with the horse/pony and anyway I wouldn't be getting one until next year at the earliest. Just planning ahead as I would like a horse but it's just not convenient right now.

Thanks,
    Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

from my experience most horses don't give a toss what the weather is like and will even stay out in the field even if they have the option of going into a barn but I'm not getting into that debate again since everyone clearly has different opinions on the subject.

kerrysgold wrote: »
    from my experience most horses don't give a toss what the weather is like and will even stay out in the field even if they have the option of going into a barn but I'm not getting into that debate again since everyone clearly has different opinions on the subject.

My ban / infraction stick is all set for the next person who goes off topic about this.. I am getting very fed up of this.

KG - please don't post in every thread with your rather unique views on horsemanship.

Advertisement