Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CompTIA

Options
  • 01-06-2008 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Where can you take a CompTIA certification (A+ or Linux+) course around north wicklow?

What age do you have to be to take it?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Stamen wrote: »
    Where can you take a CompTIA certification (A+ or Linux+) course around north wicklow?

What age do you have to be to take it?

Thanks

There's none listed in Wicklow, but loads in Dublin. There seems to be no age limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Stamen

Thank you for the quick reply. How far away are they, or where are they?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Thank you for the quick reply. How far away are they, or where are they?

http://certification.comptia.org/resources/registration.aspx

The second section there allows you to select Ireland and will then give a somewhat vague list of places.

The test companies give more details on their sites

Vue
    http://www.vue.com/servlet/vue.web2.core.Dispatcher?application=VTCLocator&action=actStartApp&v=W2L&cid=119

Prometric
    http://www.register.prometric.com/Index.asp?tcl=1

Hopefully the links aren't session sensitive.

Spear wrote: »
    http://certification.comptia.org/resources/registration.aspx

The second section there allows you to select Ireland and will then give a somewhat vague list of places.

The test companies give more details on their sites

Vue
    http://www.vue.com/servlet/vue.web2.core.Dispatcher?application=VTCLocator&action=actStartApp&v=W2L&cid=119

Prometric
    http://www.register.prometric.com/Index.asp?tcl=1

Hopefully the links aren't session sensitive.

Thanks, just one more question:

How often do you have to go in? Just once for test or a few times?

(i just started looking at this)

Thanks, just one more question:

How often do you have to go in? Just once for test or a few times?

(i just started looking at this)

Just a single test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Depends which certificate you are going for . A+ Certificate is two tests - I took them a week apart - there's a core test and then the second test depends on which field you choose . FAS run courses for A+ and Network . Possibly others , though unlikely , I guess .

nessyguin wrote: »
    Depends which certificate you are going for . A+ Certificate is two tests - I took them a week apart - there's a core test and then the second test depends on which field you choose . FAS run courses for A+ and Network . Possibly others , though unlikely , I guess .

Didn't know that, I haven't done the A+, I've always gone for the single test ones.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

There's some great threads about these exams on the IT Certification forum

The A+ is 2 exams, which can be done in the same day if you feel like it. I did the older version of the exams last year and sat them a week apart. I'm not sure what the updated version is like but the old version had a lot of stuff about CPU and RAM types and questions on troubleshooting hardware faults.

I found the Linux+ to be really really easy. Decided to do it one week, sat it the next. For studying, I printed out the objectives from the CompTIA site and looked them up in a Linux Bible along with the tests on mcmcse.com.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from Comp and Tech.

feylya wrote: »
    There's some great threads about these exams on the IT Certification forum

The A+ is 2 exams, which can be done in the same day if you feel like it. I did the older version of the exams last year and sat them a week apart. I'm not sure what the updated version is like but the old version had a lot of stuff about CPU and RAM types and questions on troubleshooting hardware faults.

I found the Linux+ to be really really easy. Decided to do it one week, sat it the next. For studying, I printed out the objectives from the CompTIA site and looked them up in a Linux Bible along with the tests on mcmcse.com.
    Moved from Comp and Tech.

Sorry about that, didn't know there was such a section.

Is linux really that easy? WOW, I will be doing that soon.
    Thanks for all the replies.

• Advertisement

Another question- what would be the best in terms of a career. What is better paying? A technical job with hardware(A+) or stuff like Linux Admin (Linux+) or Network Admin or all of them put together?

Anyway... what job would be best paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

you can do the course work online through fas www.ecollege.ie

I'm doing the a+ certification one at the moment, just so I have the piece of paper :P

The coursework is ok, a little slow paced at times, and one or two quibbles with the assessments at the end of the sections, but other than that, it's ok :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    you can do the course work online through fas www.ecollege.ie

I'm doing the a+ certification one at the moment, just so I have the piece of paper :P

Bobbot, how much did this course cost and how long is it running? How many hours a week do you spend on the course content? Ive searched everywhere for A+ but each time i have was given short notice and when i signed up it was cancelled within three days before it was due to start which was a pain.

It's €120 for the course (not including exams), you have access to the material for 6 months after you register. ecollege faq

as it stands i'm trying to do 3 topics a day, 40 topics in total. some topics have 2 units in each. so a little slower than i had hoped, but i'm aiming to sit the exams at the end of the month :)

the entire course is all online, however the material is aimed at classroom teaching, so you'll have to practice yourself, need a tool kit, spare pc to work on etc.. unless you want to wing it and you're just doing it for the cert at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

I started a thread in the education section of boards about this & was directed here.......

.........I would be interested in the hardware/networking areas & feel it is time that I finally got off my h*le & done something about it, I am considering doing this course http://cmit.ie/courses-it-computers-distance-learning/comptia_A+_it_technician.html

a few questions?

If anyone has done this course, or another course with CMIT, how did you get on?

What kind of Jobs would I be able to get on the back of this cert?

is it a good stepping stone to differing areas of IT?

any recommendations/comments for someone like myself?

The course content for what I'm doing looks exactly the same as that 3greenrizla, and is less than a quarter of the price. I see the CMIT version comes with access to a tutor, it gives double the length of time than what ecollege offer, and it comes on disk, so you're not relying on a broadband connection to study.

How's your head for IT ? If it's relatively good, I'd go with the Fas ecollege, if it's your first time studying anything IT related, I can see the CMIT version being a better option.

Also, the exam fees are not included in either the Fas ecollege or CMIT courses, at the moment, each exam is 177euro, so that's an extra 354 you have to add on to the total cost of doing the course and getting certified.

cheers Bob_Bot

I have not have any training for IT, but have a decent basic knowledge (I seem to be able to pick it up & friends/family come to me for advice) looking at the prices fas seems to be the way to go the extra cash might mean I could stretch to a 2nd hand PC & a tool kit as you suggested.

could you recommend a tool kit?

and only having access to the fas material for 6 months might not be a bad thing, I'm very bad for putting things off.

thanks in advance for any advice

no need to even spend on a second pc, have a look around adverts.ie for people giving old ones away.

Tool kit wise, it's good practice to use anti-static equipment, i.e. an anti-static mat for placing the pc/parts on and an anti-static wrist band.

You'll need a screwdriver set, preferably with different size heads philips, flathead and torx heads. Get some small pliers, in particular a needle nose pliers, a tweezers won't go astray. There's lots of other bits that come in handy, a soldering iron, spanners, ic extractors. Here's a nice looking kit (doesn't include an anti-static mat) from komplett, clicky 145 piece kit for €75 (€88 inc delivery). No idea about the quality of the tools though.

I wouldn't splurge on tools yet, there are two exams, the essentials is first. You can get by with the bare minimum tools and you don't even need an anti-static mat, but as I said, it's good procedure to have it. anti-static mat on ebay for about €45 inc delivery.

Bob_Bot how does the Fás course work, do you have to hand in homework (that sounds daft, but you know what I mean)?
    or do you have access to the coursework for 6 months & then do the exam separately?

if thats the case would you be better off getting this? http://cgi.ebay.ie/CBT-TRAINING-TUTORIAL-FOR-COMPTIA-A-TRAINING_W0QQitemZ280234619052QQihZ018QQcategoryZ41865QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    & perhaps, http://cgi.ebay.ie/CompTIA-A-Certification-All-i-Glen-E-Clarke-E-Tetz_W0QQitemZ150255683568QQihZ005QQcategoryZ1107QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm just really looking into this now and cash is a consideration, I had overlooked the fact that exam fees were not included in CMIT's €650

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Bob_Bot how does the Fás course work, do you have to hand in homework (that sounds daft, but you know what I mean)?
    or do you have access to the coursework for 6 months & then do the exam separately?

if thats the case would you be better off getting this? http://cgi.ebay.ie/CBT-TRAINING-TUTORIAL-FOR-COMPTIA-A-TRAINING_W0QQitemZ280234619052QQihZ018QQcategoryZ41865QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    & perhaps, http://cgi.ebay.ie/CompTIA-A-Certification-All-i-Glen-E-Clarke-E-Tetz_W0QQitemZ150255683568QQihZ005QQcategoryZ1107QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm just really looking into this now and cash is a consideration, I had overlooked the fact that exam fees were not included in CMIT's €650

I myself am starting to think about doing this course online and i was looking at www.cmit.ie, i know the price is €650 but the advantages i am thinking are a online tutor and its 12months to complete the course. Yes the price is expensive but you pass you'll think its money well spent once you pass the exams.

I haven't really looked at FAS online, i already bought the CompTIA A Certification of Amazon. I have an old computer so im almost set. After reading this thread again, im leaning toward FAS, grrrrr.

Advertisement