Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weird food your dog eats

• 02-06-2008 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

my 11 yr old king charles spaniel eats amongst other things

apples (granny smiths, yumm)
    bananas

and yesterday and today ate peppers when i was cooking. red, green and yellow.

:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭hairymolly

My jr mix adores raw onion even though its bad for her as it can cause ulcers. The minute I start to peel an onion she dances at my feet waiting for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

One of my Yorkies is mad about Apples too. I can't sit down and have one without him sitting there waiting for his piece.

They also love drinking luke-warm tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭merryhappy

hairymolly wrote: »
    My jr mix adores raw onion even though its bad for her as it can cause ulcers. The minute I start to peel an onion she dances at my feet waiting for some.

Onions have the same effect on a dogs liver as alcohol has on a humans, would you give your child onions if you thought it could give them ulcers? Crazy!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My cocker spaniel loves apples and carrots for some reason. I'm on a diet at the mo and if I'm snacking on a carrot in the evening she sits beside me and drools away :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Our black labrador eats *. In the computer term. Everything!

My last three dogs have loved apples. I think thats normal tbh.

He seems especially fond of footballs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭popecatapetal

Our cocker spaniel LOOOVES potato - he has been known, at a barbecue, when a plate of food falls on the ground, to bypass a burger, two sausages and a steak in order to reach a boiled potato. He also like fruit (except citrus fruits), beer - he licks the last few drops out of empty bottles, milk, cream, weetabix, cucumber (has been known to dig in the compost heap for hours to get to a tiny bit of cucumber) and popcorn. The pathetic look he gets when someone is eating popcorn always makes me feel guilty, so I always put aside a little bit for him, without salt or butter.
    That's not to say he doesn't love his dog food though - we put his plate down at dinner and it's gone in less than a minute - we think he inhales it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Raw pasta! He finds the uncooked spaghetti difficult to get off the kitchen tiles! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

any sort of raw fruit or veg, even raw turnip. whole plums as well including the stone once :O other dog is a bit more fussy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 M0use

Raw carrots are very good for dogs. Mine loves to chew on a whole one, but some people I know shred it and mix it in with their food. Also a lot of dry dog food contains apple (if you read through the ingredients).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

My dog ADORES cheese. Whenever I go to make a sandwich and take the cheese out of the fridge she comes charging into the kitchen and puts her front paws up on the counter and salivates.

She also loves Rice Krispies squares.. though she only gets them on the rare occasion as they are so sugary.

Pasta is another favourite and cold tea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

My girl (border collie x setter of some variety - is the best guess) loves grub of all sorts.

Tea - she loves tea! No sugar and a dab of milk to cool it - she'll dance and prance all over the kitchen while the kettle boils and then as your making it she sits and does all her tricks to try and earn it! She even has her own saucer now for her tea! :rolleyes:

Potato peels - she'll eat potatos (but hates chips!) but the peels :eek: You'd think she hadn't eaten for a year the way she goes on about peels!

Yogurts - she's mad for them - I only really let her lick the lid that has a bit on it because they're natural ones and too much I don't think would be good for her!

The OH has a fruit pastille fetish, always nibbling them and every so often I'll hear the crinkle of the packet from the kitchen as does the pup and she'll go sprinting off and then come back and go straight for her bed, hop in and start nibbling her secretly given pastille! He knows she takes all super yummy things to her bed so not sure why they have the cloak and dagger secrecy with it! :rolleyes:

And she loves fruit as well - grapes she cant decide if they are food or toys! But tasty entertainment is had! Kiwi - I think she'd sell her soul (or the cat's soul if that's an option!) for kiwi. She also likes melons and strawberries as well. She'll poke through the shopping bags as I carry them in seeing what the pack has hunted up for grub for the next week! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

We grow a lot of veg at home and we hav a few apple trees as well my GSD loves eating the carrots nd potatoes!! we left her unattended for a bit in the garden this summer and she ate all the carrots!!! and left the pasnips of course haha :rolleyes: she digs up the spuds and eats them raw and will pick the low apples from the trees too haha she's deadly for it have to watch her like a hawk when there in season haha :D:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Apples, carrots, bananas, broccolli, raw potates, peaches, and many more.

Recently they've started stripping unripe tomatoes off my plants, biting them, realising they don't like them, depositing them around the house, and then going back to the plant for more. Fecking headwreck.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

oh yea, my 3 Cavaliers love raw potatoes, soon as I talk out the bag they do the dance of food around my feet. Unsalted rice cakes are their treat of choice, and the one of them loves raw carrots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Some strange things there alright, do you feed your dogs at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭scarlet_mandy

He he he mine love peanut butter, tho that's normal :-) Juno particularly can hear the lid being taken off the jar from 2 rooms away! Her extra special treat is the empty jar with just scrapings left around the sides, she'll nurse that for ages trying to get every last bit licked off. Harry loves raw carrot and both love the dried banana bits from the fruit and fibre box, good thing my OH doesn't eat them so there's a little pile left after a bowl :-) and fresh banana skins too, tho that's just to play with more than eat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The thread would be easier if we listed things dogs don't eat ;)

As for our lad, he found the mixed nuts and meal we had for the rabbit and gobbled it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Our dog loves grapes. When she was little she hated the first burst when you bite them, so we used to cut them in half and give them to her :o As she got bigger she got a bit braver about the whole grape thing and now sits and stares waiting for one when we have a punnet of them. She also eats green beans and broccoli, but I think that's just to humour us so we'll give her some meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

Our Rottie is notorious. He eats everything from toast to briquettes, there's no stopping him!

My sister gave him half a chocolate digestive and ever since then he's been obsessed with chocolate even though it could poison him. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Acoshla wrote: »
    Our dog loves grapes. When she was little she hated the first burst when you bite them, so we used to cut them in half and give them to her :o As she got bigger she got a bit braver about the whole grape thing and now sits and stares waiting for one when we have a punnet of them. She also eats green beans and broccoli, but I think that's just to humour us so we'll give her some meat.
    Please stop feeding your dog grapes. They're highly toxic to them.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Wow - never knew about grapes! Not that mine eat many, but they have had the occasional one... thanks for the heads up!

We have one very fussy eater, she won't eat any veggies, or raw meat.
    The other one will eat practically everything,Her specialty is full socks, but includes briquettes, coal and candles. In the more regualr realm of things, she likes pistachio nuts (shell optional) and she loves blackberries, and despite being 35 kilos of muscle and fur, she eats them as daintily as a princess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ohmfg

One of the sheps loves blackberries.
    He now knows how to pick them himself and has a little feast on the way home from walks.
    The CKC likes them too but hasn't yet figured out how to pick them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Cat poo seems to be her favourite delicacy :( Ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

My collie loves veg - any type of veg and carrots & broccoli are his all time favourite. He also loves any fruit except citrus or banana and adores a good crunchy apple. He regularly raids the kitchen bin for potato peels and egg shells; the peels to eat and the shells he just brings into the sitting room, lies on the mat holding them carefully between his paws and licks them. He's never crushed them though.

Oh and his other little fetish is taking all the used teabags out of the bin and arranging them artfully around the floor. He even steps back, admires his "work" and will tweak and move them until he's satisfied with his efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Bob, my border collie x, adores rasberries and blackberries, and will pick them of the plants growing in our garden...
    Jackie, the JRT I had for a couple of years used to go mad for pony nuts for some reason! If I had any in my pockets I'd get no peace from her till she got them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Our setter likes most foods but sits salivating waiting for a bit of breakfast porridge, also likes licking jam off bread and then eating the bread. She doesn't seem to get the same satisfaction eathing it all in one go.

Also loves cheese, will come running if it's on the table or being grated.

She's also partial the apples and pears on the trees when the branches are low enough for her to reach them.

She's the only dog I've ever had to refuse sausage though. Raw or cooked she literally turns her nose away.

She's the only dog I've ever had to refuse sausage though. Raw or cooked she literally turns her nose away.

My eldest (the fussy one) will not touch sausage, unless it has some sort of sauce on it. The cat won't touch it ever ever.

It has actually put me off sausages...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I knew no matter what food I named it'd be the wrong thing around here! One grape about once a year is harmless, it's not like I let her off with the whole bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Acoshla wrote: »
    I knew no matter what food I named it'd be the wrong thing around here! One grape about once a year is harmless, it's not like I let her off with the whole bunch.

I don't think you need to be defensive about it, from your post it sounded like a lot more than "one grape about once a year" and someone took the time to let you know that it's dangerous.

They possibly could have phrased it a bit differently - but then again it's almost impossible to read the tone of something typed on a forum...

• Advertisement

nibtrix wrote: »
    I don't think you need to be defensive about it, from your post it sounded like a lot more than "one grape about once a year" and someone took the time to let you know that it's dangerous.

They possibly could have phrased it a bit differently - but then again it's almost impossible to read the tone of something typed on a forum...

I for one am delighted to have found out about grapes.

I have fed my dogs grapes, I've started eating a lot of them myself, and the dogs have had all the overripe ones, on a semi-regular basis over the past month or so. Purely because I didn't know any better.

I know about avoiding chocolate and onions and macademia nuts, but grapes was completely new to me.

Advertisement