Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sparky for City?

• 02-06-2008 6:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭

Normally I'd post such stories in the City thread but it gets very little traffic so wanted a wider opinion. Massive, massive rumours that Mark Hughes will be City's new manager this week. Here's one article -

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-1023514/Taxi-Hughes-Thaksin-wants-Blackburn-boss-drive-Manchester-City-top.html?ITO=1490
    Taxi for Hughes: Thaksin wants Blackburn boss to drive Manchester City to the top

Manchester City hope to unveil Mark Hughes as manager this week after Blackburn reluctantly agreed to let him leave.

Hughes will take his close-knit backroom staff to Eastlands with him - highly-rated No 2 Mark Bowen and former Chelsea goalkeepers Eddie Niedzwiecki and Kevin Hitchcock.

City expect an appointment, to be made by incoming executive chairman Garry Cook, will follow once compensation with Blackburn has been agreed.

With current boss Sven Goran Eriksson seemingly bound for Mexico, they hope to call a press conference for Thursday.

All that remains is to agree a buy-out with Blackburn and a package should be hammered out within 48 hours.

Discussions between the clubs are said to be 'cordial', with Rovers accepting it is time for Hughes to move on after an outstanding stay at Ewood Park.

Talks with Hughes progressed quickly over the weekend after permission was granted by the club.

There is still a chance that Chelsea may hijack City's bid - Hughes remains 4-1 with the bookies to go to Stamford Bridge.

However, he is said to be impressed with City's ambition and their new-look set-up.

He was the first choice of former Nike supremo Cook, who will take up his post by the end of this week.

Owner Thaksin Shinawatra has endorsed the move.

A close aide speaking from Thailand said last night that Shinawatra is 'thrilled' at the prospect of capturing Hughes.

"The owner believes people will start to understand now his vision for City. He doesn't want to settle for second best. That is why Mark is top of the pile. He is impressed with the job he has done on limited resources at Blackburn. Now let's see what he can do with real firepower."

There is still a risk that Chelsea could come in, but Sportsmail understands Roman Abramovich does not share the enthusiasm of senior board members, including Peter Kenyon, for the former Wales coach.

Former Manchester United, Chelsea, Barcelona and Bayern Munich striker Hughes has led Blackburn to two top seven Premier League finishes in four years, surviving on his skilful plundering of he transfer market with bargain captures such as David Bentley, Christopher Samba and Roque Santa Cruz, who scored 22 Barclays Premier League goals in his first season.

Shinawatra has agreed to give Hughes a vast transfer budget and is believed to have rubber-stamped City's pursuit of Brazil striker Jo, 21, who will join from CSKA Moscow in what will be one of the biggest transfers of the summer.

Hughes is said to be 'relishing' the chance of leading City into the UEFA Cup and challenging for a top six finish.

Top of his agenda will be keeping men such as Micah Richards and Joe Hart.

"He's not interested in selling the best players and will hope they're excited about working for him," said a friend.

He will find an ally in Cook, who will be responsible for player budgets and hopes to build on City's Youth Cup success, where they beat Chelsea in the Final.

In a dramatic twist late last night, City skipper Richard Dunne - apparently destined for Portsmouth - may now stay with City after the players learned of Hughes' likely arrival.

Portsmouth believed they had stolen ahead of Spurs to land the Republic of Ireland defender.

Hughes is believed to be keen to keep Dunne, but only if he shows the necessary desire to stay.

To summarise -

- Hughes to take over on Thursday
    - Thaksin to provide a massive treasure chest for him to spend
    - Richards and Hart to be top priority to keep
    - Dunne to do a U-turn and stay

There are some juvenile City fans giving out that he's ex-United blah blah blah but the fact remains he's easily in the top 3 up and coming British managers and I'd gladly take someone who's proven in the Premiership at the club over some ropey foreigner (Zico's been linked this weekend).

Obviously I'm still taking the story with a pinch of salt but it'd be a fantastic appointment imo.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Hughes would be an interesting appointment. I'm not sure he'll offer much more than Eriksson though in terms of the league table. I'm still very surprised that Sven got the boot at all. Considering the mess that Pearce left the club in, he did well to get a decent mid table finish and for taking six points off their city neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Total football on the way for City so. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

If Hughes was to come to Citeh, I could see him taking the likes of Bentley, Santa Cruz et al with him.

Would be a real coup for Citeh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

Mark Hughes would be great for city. But then again Eriksson was already great for city last season and we all know what happened there. If he can hold on to the key players and bring in more quality a top 7/8 finish would be a realistic target. If not, hopefully he won't be cast aside like Sven, by someone who knows very little about the game (I wouldn't like to see city as a blip on an otherwise impressive cv).

City finished in 9th this year up from 14th last year. Looking at the teams above them I suppose they could overtake Blackburn if Hughes switches and brings some Blackburn stars with him but I don't see them pushing much higher than that for a couple of seasons yet unless Thaksin is going to throw megabucks at the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Would such a move harm Hughes' future ambitions to manage Utd do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

According to the Blackburn club site we've officially been given permission to speak to him. Their fans are less than impressed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

Because of club rivalry? I wouldn't think so. But if he got messed around like Sven that wouldn't look very good on his record especially if he was laid off unceremoniously.

Good question! If Hughes was a success then I'd say it could only help his claim to manage Man Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Hughes has proven to be a quality manager so far in his spells with Wales and Blackburn and would do a great job at City i think. I just wonder the value in getting rid of Sven just to bring Hughes in. Unless the owner throws big money around, i think Hughes will do a similar job to what Sven has already done and what he probably would do next season.
    But as i say, Hughes has proven his worth so far, Sven is gone so in terms of replacements, yeah i think Hughes will be great for City, if allowed.
    He's shown he has an eye for a bargain and is not afraid to stick his neck out and sign players that other clubs have dithered over, e.g Benni McCarthey, Santa Cruz etc that have proved successes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

No I dont think so, quite the opposite infact. He is showing he has ambition by taking on a new challenge etc. and may prove that he can handle a pressure situation with tough board etc.

As people have said before Hughes has shown great credentials so far in his short career in management. Quite why he wants to move to such a potentially volatile environment i don't fully understand. As is said above, how much and how soon does the chairman expect to see? I hope if Hughes moves he is given the time to show his worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

It's still a mistake to let Sven go, but with him all but gone Sparky is a good replacement. He'd be a safer bet than someone like Scolari, who you just wouldn't know how quickly they'd adapt.

Also, consider his net spend in the last few years and the players he's brought in for half-nothing. With a heavy budget behind him he could do wonders.

Good capture for City if they get him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

*Waits for Chelski to come in at the last minute and gazump City's offer* :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It would be great for City if they got him

Let's hope it's just a horrible rumour! :D

DaveMcG wrote: »
    It would be great for City if they got him

Let's hope it's just a horrible rumour! :D

As much as I dislike City. I rather see Sparky go there then Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Surprised to see Blackburn let him speak to City so quick and easy must be offering shed loads of compensation. I had the same thought earlier that I wondered would it affect his chances of taking over at United but he cant keep waiting around in the hope that he might take over from Fergie in 3 years time, this is a big opportunity for him, at a realtively bigger club than Blackburn! ;):pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

am i the only one not entirely convinced of Hughes? i'm kinda worried he's turning into the next Allardyce, i.e. able to make the best out of limited resources but unconvincing otherwise.

am i the only one not entirely convinced of Hughes? i'm kinda worried he's turning into the next Allardyce, i.e. able to make the best out of limited resources but unconvincing otherwise.

Possibly but he seemed to do well in the Wales job nearly getting them to the Euro champs 4 years ago(only to lose to Russia in the play offs) despite the fact that Welsh team was fairly average with the obvious exceptions of Giggs and maybe one or two other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Maybe, but there's only one way to find out and this could be the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Possibly but he seemed to do well in the Wales job nearly getting them to the Euro champs 4 years ago(only to lose to Russia in the play offs) despite the fact that Welsh team was fairly average with the obvious exceptions of Giggs and maybe one or two other.

yeah there is that. I'm just not sure if Sparky's the right guy to deal with players who have a 'tempermental and delicate' disposition (i.e. Elano, Drogba, the type of players who are high in talent, but at the same time seemingly need special treatment to get it out of them)
    monkey9 wrote: »
    Maybe, but there's only one way to find out and this could be the time

yeah true. i guess i'm just surprised at the speed with which City have made an approach. would have thought they would go for more established names first before the gamble on Hughes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

I think if he did go to Chelsea he wouldn't last long, as I just don't know if he has the experience to deliver the silverware Abramovich demands.
    As much as I hate to say it, Citeh probably would be his best move if he is going anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Whats obviously going to happen is United are going to sack Ferguson to make sure they beat Chelsea to the appointment of the much coveted Hughes, and then Ferguson will inevitably end up at Chelsea*.............(According to todays Sun)

*Might not be so true, but iv read some amount of muck the last few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

gucci wrote: »
    Whats obviously going to happen is United are going to sack Ferguson to make sure they beat Chelsea to the appointment of the much coveted Hughes, and then Ferguson will inevitably end up at Chelsea*.............(According to todays Sun)

*Might not be so true, but iv read some amount of muck the last few days

You have obviously been in the Liverpool thread so ;)

On the subject of Hughes he would be an excellent manager at city but
    they already had an excellent manager.
    Bit of a strange one, at least he has a track record in the premiership and is
    not a big name manager who really isnt all that successful like Zico etc
    Would love to see Hughes with Ronaldoinho and Bentley in City jerseys.
    Would be some derby games :D

IrishMike wrote: »
    You have obviously been in the Liverpool thread so ;)

On the subject of Hughes he would be an excellent manager at city but
    they already had an excellent manager.
    Bit of a strange one, at least he has a track record in the premiership and is
    not a big name manager who really isnt all that successful like Zico etc
    Would love to see Hughes with Ronaldoinho and Bentley in City jerseys.
    Would be some derby games :D

Nah it'd be even easier then than it already is. We should probably drop a few of our big guns for the next one, just to give them a chance :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

yeah there is that. I'm just not sure if Sparky's the right guy to deal with players who have a 'tempermental and delicate' disposition (i.e. Elano, Drogba, the type of players who are high in talent, but at the same time seemingly need special treatment to get it out of them

dont need to worry about him, he'll be in inter!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

When City lose the double to United next year, will ye consider it a failed season and sack the manager? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Very disappointing for Rovers but not half as disappointing as the potential of 'Big Sam' coming in as his replacement.

I like Sparky and he has a decent record league/transfers but Sven has a great managerial record even if he is a complete mercenary. Would have been much better for City if Sven had at least had another season to build on hie progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

you called it right I thinjk, Big sam will be in at Blackburn before monday I think.

You gotta ask, is Hughes better then Sven? I dont hink so, not at any level. the European experience that Sven would have brought to man Citys uEFA cup campaign alone outweights sparky.

I wonder why City picked a manager that has worked so well on a tight budget, signs of things to come I wonder? Maybe Shinawatra does not have the wallet we all think.

I always thought the Hughes for Chelsea story was far fetched, it was right up there with keane for chelsea.....

One of hughes best skills is his ability to bring in the right players though, that will certainly benefit city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Interesting appointment, and a bit of a risk. He's done wonders in the transfer market on a shoestring, so now it's a real opportunity for him to prove he can do it on a big budget too. He's a bit of a disciplinarian too, so he should instill the right attitude in the players.

It can't do his chances of succeeding Fergie any good though, can it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

Mark Hughes versus stephen ireland

now theres next years fallout waiting to happen......

It can't do his chances of succeeding Fergie any good though, can it?

I think Querioz must be a certainty for the United job but if Hughes does flourish at City i am sure United would have no problem taking him on. He would need to push city right up into 4/5th and show something in the Uefa Cup. The lack of European experience is a problem for him.

Big blow to Rovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Press conference due for 11am, looks like it is a done deal.

Juan Pablo wrote: »

If its happening that quick then Chelsea must have really had no interest at all in Sparky. They must be looking to Europe for a manager

Juan Pablo wrote: »

False alarm by the looks of things. I read this in the Mail this morning and got giddy!

Now Sky are reporting Zico still has a chance at the job.

Sky are the biggest bunch of shit stirrers going.

Zico can feck off as well.

• Advertisement

But Zico managed Nakata in the past!

Ha ha true. Match made in heaven!

Seriously, despite being 'one of them' Leslie is the best man for the job right now. There won't be near the same media circus around the club with him in charge.

Its official

Hughes
    Manchester City appoint Mark Hughes 04/06/2008 12:35

Manchester City Football Club are today delighted to announce we have agreed terms with Mark Hughes to be our new Manager.
    Hughes, 44, will be unveiled at a press conference to be held tomorrow morning. He agreed to move from Blackburn Rovers after meeting with the Club’s new Executive Chairman Garry Cook on Tuesday evening. Mr Cook’s appointment has been confirmed by City Chairman Dr Thaksin Shinawatra and he arrived from the US yesterday to seal the deal.

Hughes, who won 72 international caps for Wales, played for clubs including Barcelona, Manchester United, Bayern Munich and Chelsea in a glittering career, before managing the Welsh national side and more recently Blackburn Rovers. He was awarded both an OBE and an MBE for his services to football.

He has put pen to paper on a three-year contract and takes up his new post with immediate effect.

Mr Cook said, “I am delighted to welcome Mark on board. In our view he is the brightest young manager in the game and he was our number one target for the manager’s job.

“He made it clear to us from the moment we met that he shared our vision and ambition to make Manchester City one of the top sides in the country.

“It’s a privilege to join Dr Thaksin here at Manchester City. There is no better opportunity in world football.

“The Club intends to invest in new players as well as securing the long term services of key members of the current first team squad.

“Mark has already identified some of the players and backroom staff that he wants to see here at City, and we will begin the process of recruiting them immediately.”

Delighted. Now to make us some juicy signings.

Aye. Its a good move for both parties. It will be interesting to see how much say he will have in the transfers with this Cook chap on board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

something about this worries me greatly.

cant put my finger on it.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    something about this worries me greatly.

cant put my finger on it.

Is it that your 4th spot is gonna be seriously under threat?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Is it that your 4th spot is gonna be seriously under threat?

not wat i mean at all. you're welcome to it, we're going 1st or 2nd next year.

this shinawatra lad getting a manager who is not a massive name, sacking a manager who achieved more than anyone thought possible at City last year, the fans being livid about Svens treatment but seemingly forgetting about him overnight?

this shinawatra lad is bad news.

i'm not even sure wat i'm getting at, i may be babbling but there is something strange about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Xavi: Do you reckon Hughes' appointment is a step forwards, backwards or sideways from Sven?

As a neutral, I had a lot of time for Sven. Sure, City's collapse after Christmas was awful, but there's no arguing with his club record, and he made some great signings (as well as some dodgy ones).

Hughes has a good record at Blackburn, but can he take it to the next level? Or was he just a big fish in a small pond?

I'll admit I was upset when the thing with Sven first broke but looking back now Frank is merely a ruthless business man who got rid of someone who was underperforming i.e. Sven. We were woeful for the vast majority of the second half of the season. This was all swept under the carpet though cause of the win at OT. Losing 8-1 in the Premiership is completely unaccaptable, as is being afraid to change your tactic when they clearly need a good shake up.

Everything coming from both Frank and this new lad Gary Cook has been ridiculously positive over the past few days, something us City fans aren't used to. Yes Sven was a fans favourite but if you take away those two wins against United he would not be held in such high reagrd.

Xavi: Do you reckon Hughes' appointment is a step forwards, backwards or sideways from Sven?

Forwards.

We have a solid squad in place and the man now to instill the one thing we lacked last year - fight. There'll be no 8-1 embarrassments with him in charge.

Plus we have a massive amount of money to spend and going on his previous record in the transfer market he'll be good for us.

Positive til the end!

Losing 8-1 in the Premiership is completely unaccaptable.

So is sacking a manager in his first year who is quite clearly the best you have had in decades when he had you in a CL spot up until the new year. and he achieves your best league finish in decades.
    if you take away those two wins against United he would not be held in such high reagrd.

take away SAF 2 european cups and i'm sure Utd fans wouldnt hold him in such high regard. thats not how football works though, you can only be judged on wat you do. and ye beat Utd twice last season.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    take away SAF 2 european cups and i'm sure Utd fans wouldnt hold him in such high regard. thats not how football works though, you can only be judged on wat you do. and ye beat Utd twice last season.

We also finished 16th in the second half of the season.

We also finished 16th in the second half of the season.

once again, doesnt matter one lttle bit. not the way football works.

we usually finish first for the second half of the season, doesnt mean we deserve a trophy for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Hughes is a great appointment, but the fact that a new manager most likely means a new warchest and pot of gold, which means new players for City. Quality players at that. Well done to City. Hope yee do well except in the derbys. United owe yee a beaten!

Steven Reid to City?

• Advertisement
Advertisement