Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband (DSL) problems

Options
  • 02-06-2008 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

Hi, I've been having problems with IBB for a while now, it seems like anything other than web (port 80) is either very slow or unreliable. For example, I recently got quake wars for the PC and when I try to connect to a server online, it works about 50% of the time. If I do get in, I usually get kicked shortly after. The same is true when I try to play Mario Kart Wii online.

Torrent speeds are also crap, I haven't seen them go above 10kB/sec in ages. Downloading from the web works fine at 300 kB/sec.

I have read various threads about IBB traffic shaping and have tried encrypting/using port 80 for torrents, but nothing has made any difference. Is there any solution to this, is it a problem that can be solved, or is it just IBB scrounging bandwidth by only supporting port 80? If so, could someone recommend an alternative? I heard Smart are good

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

currently on IBB dsl here and no issue torrenting or anything else. i dont play Quake Wars but I do play alot of WoW and TF2 via steam and have had v little to no issue with them.I would be a high enough downloader more work related etc than torrents or anything but I still use it and get full service.Ur defo sure ports are open on router and no one else sharing connection or bandwidth?
    Have you done ping tests, traceroute etc to the servers your connecting to (quakewars)

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Thordon

Ok, update: bittorent is now working totally fine, its an unmistakable improvement since I set it to use port 80, encrypted and forwarded the port on the router. Its using the full 3mb now. I also play TF2 and WoW and they both work fine for me aswell. ET:QW and Mario kart Wii don't though and now I find Age of Conan doesn't either.

The only thing that seems to make sense is that they throttle everything except port 80 and some other commonly used ports (WoW for example).

I did not try doing a traceroute on the quake wars servers, but I did for AoC and it gave me 79ms which seems fine, but in game it seems to constantly be dropping packets, occasionally it will show 50-75ms, but most of the time its stuck at 10000ms and I'm getting no interactivity at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Thordon

Another update: I set up HTTP tunnel software to route age of conan packets through port 80 and a remote server. I had to pay a few euro to get access to the good server. It works much better, no more long stretches of 0 communication, but the ping is bit crap (300-500ms), I guess thats to be expected as it has to travel for 100ms to the remote server and then another bit from there to the european based server.

Still not happy with this solution, but at least its playable for an MMO, I don't think it would work for ET:QW or any other fps.

All this does seem to indicate that IBB are fecking around with at least some ports that arent 80.

Advertisement