Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fps issue

Options
  • 02-06-2008 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Been playing AoC for a bit since release and for some parts it has been quite frustrating. Main issue is performance. Sometimes it runs just fine then often in the same areas fps just drops. Sometimes I'm playing along just fine then it will lock up for 10 seconds and when I return the fps has dropped I looked into it further by installing RivaTuner on my laptop and it seems that on the lock up or at other times the card is only running at half the core and memory speed that it does at others resulting in the lower fps.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so is there a way to stop it happening? Laptop viedo driver should be up to date ish as I needed a new version to be able to run the game in the first place.

Cheers

Data

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Are you running the laptop in power saving mode? Is it plugged in when you are playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

tis plugged in aye and on the full power setting so to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Turning off grass for me helped alot.

Also is there anyway to turn off the mist effect? I notice my fps going to hell whenever I'm around a harbour etc with alot of mist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It runs awful on my system. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Post your spec people. I know of fixes for this and it's easier if I know what your spec is. I go from around 20fps in Tarantia to around 85fps in canyons when there's not much going on. Using my custom settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Both me and a friend got something that sounds very similar to you. Game performance dropped to a pittance, where I would get 30fps I was getting 3. We both had this at the exact same time, his a Nvida and mine a Ati/Amd. Did you notice the lighting flickering and the bloom effects over sized and too bright during this?

I have not checked clocks during this, but I might after what you have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,338 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I've given up on the game. I can play CoD4, Stalker and Quake Terroritories with medium to medium-high settings, but can't even get a stable 20fps on low with draw distance right down on AoC.

I've given up on the game. I can play CoD4, Stalker and Quake Terroritories with medium to medium-high settings, but can't even get a stable 20fps on low with draw distance right down on AoC.

What are your specs?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,338 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Core 2 Duo 2ghz, 2gb ram, GeForce 8400m GS. I know it's not the beefiest, but it plays pretty much anything I through and it, and it still can't offer anything above 12fps on the lowest settings with everything turned off.

I have the same specs except a 8600GTM. I have it on low settings and then in advanced settings I put the model shader down to 2 and turned shadows, waters reflection and grass off. Works pretty well now. I get about 20 - 30fps average, sometimes it goes below 10 and other times it goes up to 40 or 50 indoors.

• Advertisement

Core 2 Duo 2ghz, 2gb ram, GeForce 8400m GS. I know it's not the beefiest, but it plays pretty much anything I through and it, and it still can't offer anything above 12fps on the lowest settings with everything turned off.

The 8400m is a horrible card, all mobile cards are underclocked cards. So thats not even comparable to a 8400. Thats your problem. Don't forget AoC is a very demanding game, I'm getting 30-40fps with far better desktop specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

The 8400m is a horrible card, all mobile cards are underclocked cards. So thats not even comparable to a 8400. Thats your problem. Don't forget AoC is a very demanding game, I'm getting 30-40fps with far better desktop specs.

^Truth

8400m is barley a gaming card tbh. It's be worse then a desktop 6600gt which is the minimum requirements for this (and I really can't picture a 6600 playing this)

I take it from those specs you got a Vostro? Yea should have really gone for the 8600m GT.

The game does pack a punch to your system. I can play this maxed out graphics @ 1650 x 1080 with 30-50 fps.

But compared to how this system runs other games I was surprised at how low the fps was.

Running on a Q6600 with a 9800GTX and 2gb 800mhz ram on XP if anyones wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I have the same specs as super_furry, except I've a 8600m gt (go dell xps!) and I'm running on anything from 20fps in tarantia to around 80fps out in the field and the graphics are pretty equivilent to the default 'medium' settings.

How?

1. Go to the video options and click on 'high' to set your graphics to the high settings.
    2. Turn off AA, shadows, and bloom.
    4. Turn up the cache bar to max (275mb i think it is)
    3. Proceed to turn things like view distance, texture res and particle draw distance down to whatever you're comfortable with.
    4. Improved fps and playability!

It will take a least a few minutes for it to kick in, and maybe even a restart of the game, but you will get more fps with this method. Don't take my word for it either, there are stickies on the US forums detailing this method too. For some reason the game runs better on high than on low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

OctavarIan wrote: »

4. Turn up the cache bar to max (275mb i think it is)

Yeah I noticed that option there earlier. Seems its there for laptop gamers and everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭knoxor

There's a website that will check your computer to see if you can play a particular game.

It downloads an applet to run on your computer so it you're ok with that you can try this site.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

I've a dell XPS M1710 laptop myself and looks like I can just about play AoC, may have to upgrade my graphics card.

Am waiting on the game coming in the post so will find out soon enough !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭weichen

My old desktop: AMD 4200X2 3G 7800GTX play AoC at midle range graphic setting FPS 11-32.going to try 7900GTXx2 SLI this evening see how it goes.

basically this game isnot laptop friendly,new graghic cards like 8400 8500 8600 9600 wont get good FPS

found out what the issue was on this front. The driver I was using from laptopvideo2go a number of them have reported issues in games with it downclocking the cards after certain periods of time. Went back to a much older driver which gives slightly worse fps over all but maintains the correct frequencies at least.

Check out your clocks if you're sudden fps issues on a laptop where it was ok before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Dataisgod wrote: »
    found out what the issue was on this front. The driver I was using from laptopvideo2go a number of them have reported issues in games with it downclocking the cards after certain periods of time. Went back to a much older driver which gives slightly worse fps over all but maintains the correct frequencies at least.

Check out your clocks if you're sudden fps issues on a laptop where it was ok before.
    Why don't you use the latest one straight from Nvidia? www.nvidia.com

last I checked nvidia don't supply laptop video drivers directly you need to get them from the OEM which don't update often.

Hence laptopvideo2go who sort out drivers for laptops with modified infs

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭-TK^Creator

Has anyone noticed a big improvements with fps stablity since an update recently?

I was getting quite turned off the game by the sudden jerking from 30 fps to 5. This new fps improvement has actually got me back into the game which I'm quite pleased about. I'm now wanting to play the game compared to just playing to see what other ppl were talking about

• Advertisement

Has anyone noticed a big improvements with fps stablity since an update recently?

I was getting quite turned off the game by the sudden jerking from 30 fps to 5. This new fps improvement has actually got me back into the game which I'm quite pleased about. I'm now wanting to play the game compared to just playing to see what other ppl were talking about
    A couple of tricks...

I hear that if you open Windows Media Player before running the game and just leave it idle in the background it can improve your fps. (This only works for some people apperently and there is a perfectly good, nerdy, explanation for it).

Also, if you're running a low end / medium system the best thing to do is to set the overall quality to medium (as opposed to low) and then turn loads of things off like the shader model, shadows etc...

For those using laptop cards I would advise getting the new drivers off the site Data mentioned. New ones came out 4 or 5 days ago and I gained 20fps overall. They're not listed as the most recent drivers, you have to look for them.

[edit] http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19035 [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭-TK^Creator

A couple of tricks...

I hear that if you open Windows Media Player before running the game and just leave it idle in the background it can improve your fps. (This only works for some people apperently and there is a perfectly good, nerdy, explanation for it).
    [/edit]

hmmm i was running wmp in idle actually. Just forgot to close it when logging in and i noticed there was nice cool login music :p

so has there not been nice improvements to their engine or was it just because I had wmp open. Also noted its using less ram than last time

• Registered Users Posts: 26 b00mIR

how can having wmp idle help it seems incredibley weird to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Nah no FPS problems here,get anything between 40 and 120 FPS on maxed out settings.

Advertisement