Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best GTA deal

• 02-06-2008 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

hi.Total boards newbie here.Just a quick question for ya all.what is the best package to go for in your opinion.PS3 with GTA or Xbox with GTA,mostly for the games playabilty and online experience.thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭123

PS3 by far is the better option. Not only is online free, but you get a blu ray player too with the ps3 which is next thing after dvd.
    Dont waste your money on a 360

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

You might want to check out this thread.

The game is pretty much the same on both consoles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Excellent stuff.Thanks.Looks like it's the PS3:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

If you are the kind of person that plays a lot of games and doesn't care about bluray the xbox may be the better option. It has a much bigger back catalogue of games, and a lot of multiplatform games run better on it. However, if you value bluray, and paying for overpriced dvds to play on it, and MGS4 and FFXIII, then the PS is your machine. Mind you bluray dvds only really come to show any advantage over standard def on screens from about 50" size and upward on 1080p (or "true" hd).

So the only real advantage ps3 has is a bluray drive, and that is only of use to a movie buff, as it has no advantage for gaming (only disadvantages actually, with its slow read speed). If you like gaming then look at both machines back catalogues, and the games that are announced. That should be the deciding factor, not a bluray drive that may never become standard dvd technology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭123

just get the ps3 and you wont be sorry :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

It has a much bigger back catalogue of games, and a lot of multiplatform games run better on it.

i wouldn't say the back cat on 360 is "much" bigger now. in terms of quality titles, the two machines are even. if you bring into account PSN and XBLA, then PSN wins hands down.

as for MP games running better. that's rubbish. one or two games have needed patches on PS3, sure... but they don't run "better" on 360. the fact that online is free on PS3 is very enticing.
    Mind you bluray dvds only really come to show any advantage over standard def on screens from about 50" size and upward on 1080p (or "true" hd).

what? blu-ray will look crisper on any tv (my brother used a 19" crt for ages), but 1080p really shows off a good tv at any size. samsung just released a series 5 32" tv with 1080p, 100hz and 15000:1 contrast and it completely looks head and shoulders better in comparison to other 32" tvs. though i would ordinarily hold off splashing out on that kind of money for 37" or higher if it's 1080p you want.
    So the only real advantage ps3 has is a bluray drive, and that is only of use to a movie buff, as it has no advantage for gaming (only disadvantages actually, with its slow read speed). If you like gaming then look at both machines back catalogues, and the games that are announced. That should be the deciding factor, not a bluray drive that may never become standard dvd technology.

stop talking rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

However, if you value bluray, and paying for overpriced dvds to play on it, and MGS4 and FFXIII, then the PS is your machine. Mind you bluray dvds only really come to show any advantage over standard def on screens from about 50" size and upward on 1080p (or "true" hd).

You are like someone who has no clue what you are talking about. Overpriced DVD's? Buy online if you do not want to pay the overinflated prices in shops. No advantage unless you are using a 50" 1080p screen? Sorry but that is bollocks. Come back when you know what you are talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Mayhem, that link you posted is pretty misleading. Read the comments, and its dated 2005. With regards to the bluray making a massive difference, I stick with my guns. It may look crisper on all screens, but its not the revelation a lot of people make it out to be. I say that for a really noticeable (ie, a major difference) difference a 1080p 50"+ screen is required. On smaller screens I find the extra detail to be lost due to the small image size. I had a PS3, but I sold it. It had no good games that I had not already played on 360 (and some like R6V, and CoD3 didn't play as well on PS3, neither did the Orange Box). That was my deciding factor, games. Mind you there is the slightest regret, as I won't be able to play Little Big Planet (and Haze, which was announced as exclusive shortly after the sale). I really do not care for the other big PS3 exclusives MGS and FF and GT.

All I said in my post was that if you were a gamer, you need to judge each machine on its gaming merits, and bluray doesn't feature there. Bluray comes to its own in films. The OP wanted advice, and someone jumped in with a fanboy comment with the bluray, and I warned not to expect a revelation. Which machine to choose is up to the OP, but the OP should be aware that bluray is not the be all and end all of DVD tech, as the difference is not that big. I did stay away from fanboyism, but as soon as a negative word is said about bluray, the fanboys come out of hiding. Bluray is not that good folks. Its good, but not that good that it defines a games console. The games should define a games console, and what console you buy should be decided by the games it has, the games announced, and the games you want to play. For gaming one console is not better than the other, they are quite evenly matched, except for the games they have. Ask yourself - what games do I want to play? What console are they on? Then you will know which console to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

So the only real advantage ps3 has is a bluray drive, and that is only of use to a movie buff, as it has no advantage for gaming (only disadvantages actually, with its slow read speed).

That is simply not true.

I think the best way to compare both consoles is by the way the op in the thread i linked above did it:

* Reliability
    * Games catalogue
    * Online capabilites
    * Media support (blu-ray, AVIs, DIVX etc)
    * Price
    * Noise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I did stay away from fanboyism, but as soon as a negative word is said about bluray, the fanboys come out of hiding.

A negative word? You lied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement