Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Literary Genre

• 02-06-2008 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭

Sometimes in questions they ask "explain your understanding of the term Literary Genre". What would be a suitable explanation for the term?? Would "the way in which authors present the text" be a bit too brief?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

turgon wrote: »
    Sometimes in questions they ask "explain your understanding of the term Literary Genre". What would be a suitable explanation for the term?? Would "the way in which authors present the text" be a bit too brief?

Use that line and then follow with a few examples of techniques (the ones you're going to talk about in your essay), such as symbolism, narrative etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Papercut

Literary Genre is the way in which a story is told. This can be done in a variety of ways, using many various techniques to string together and create a powerful story. The texts I have studied in my comparative course are.....My comparative essay shall deal with the ways in which each of the above named texts tell their stories.

These are what I focus on in my Literary Genre Q....I am Studying Philadelphia Here I come, How Many Miles To Babylon and My Left Foot......so the techniques could be different if you are studying others.
    • Flashbacks
    • Narrative
    • Imagery and Symbolism
    • Humour
    • Film Techniques
    • Conclusion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭lovechem

I LOVE literary genre. I hope to god it comes up! Hasn't come up in awhile so fingers crossed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Papercut wrote: »
    Literary Genre is the way in which a story is told. This can be done in a variety of ways, using many various techniques to string together and create a powerful story. The texts I have studied in my comparative course are.....My comparative essay shall deal with the ways in which each of the above named texts tell their stories.

These are what I focus on in my Literary Genre Q....I am Studying Philadelphia Here I come, How Many Miles To Babylon and My Left Foot......so the techniques could be different if you are studying others.
    • Flashbacks
    • Narrative
    • Imagery and Symbolism
    • Humour
    • Film Techniques
    • Conclusion
    Exactly. like in the three texts I studied (Philadelphia here I come, The truman show and old school) one of the main way the three texts told their story is through the use of the central character,
    or props
    or place names
    or viewing techniques e.g philadelphia here i come had stage direction
    the truman show had camera angles and everyone on the screen was there for a person (mise on scene)
    or in old school the had descriptive narative.

its all about the comparision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Desirah

I'm doing my left foot, philadelphia and babylon aswell.Are these techniques sufficient to get a good grade?
    • all use social realism
    • structure and style
    • quotations from other authors
    • imagery
    • humour

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 PeteZahut

the headings we are using are 1)narrative style 2)text shape 3)suspense 4)symbolisim 5)reflection on society and maybe resolution

• Registered Users Posts: 2 itsme_94

does anyone have any essays on litrary genre for how many miles to babylon?:D

Advertisement