Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

restrictor kits

• 02-06-2008 11:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

Are they only available for 33bhp output? I can legally go 50% higher on my prov.

Is there any electronic wizardry you can get if it's fuel injection?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

cantdecide wrote: »
    I can legally go 50% higher on my prov.

What country's laws are you operating under?
    If Ireland, then what magical provisional with lucky charms and rainbows do you have?

If you mean 50% more power then I assume you mean to still fall within the 0.16kw/kg rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

33bhp add 50% is about 48bhp or about 36KW, when applied to a 226KG bike is a power to weight ration of 0.16KW/KG ish.

We have lucky charms and rainbows here in my country too, btw but they're nothing to do with vehicle licensing:p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

33bhp add 50% is about 48bhp or about 36KW, when applied to a 226KG bike is a power to weight ration of 0.16KW/KG ish.

We have lucky charms and rainbows here in my country too, btw but they're nothing to do with vehicle licensing:p.

It's a discussion that's been done before and the wording on the license is flawed, and not debatable under law.

Anyway, in terms of restrictor kits -- there is only one kind which restricts the bike to 33bhp/0.16kw/kg -- unless you're a mechanic and know how to restrict your bike, but then you've got the issue of actually proving the bike is restricted should the situation arise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

colm_c wrote: »
    It's a discussion that's been done before and the wording on the license is flawed, and not debatable under law.

Anyway, in terms of restrictor kits -- there is only one kind which restricts the bike to 33bhp/0.16kw/kg -- unless you're a mechanic and know how to restrict your bike, but then you've got the issue of actually proving the bike is restricted should the situation arise.

It looks pretty mathematical to me. We get 33bhp restrictors only because we have are not in a position to get restrictors of any other figures *as far as we know*. Hypothetically, if I could get a certified kit that restricts my Bandit to 46bhp then I would be legally entitled to drive it. Insurance is based on an unrestricted bike anyway so there is no issue there.

Flawed wording on your license (?) is no explanation of why you can drive a 53bhp Intruder on a provisional license. The power to weight ratio rule is.

My question is simple- are we abolutely sure that the only restrictors available with certs in the whole world are 33bhp only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

My question is simple- are we abolutely sure that the only restrictors available with certs in the whole world are 33bhp only?

Well the factory restricted bikes are all 25kw, so they are hardly going to develop a completely different set of carbs and or ECU units to keep the small amount of bikers here happy now are they?

The basic answer to your question is yes, because every other country takes biking seriously and implements the EU Directive correctly. i.e. without the vaguely implied AND/OR.

• Advertisement
Advertisement