Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Astec Alarm System

Options
  • 02-06-2008 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

A few days ago I was given a sneak preview of the impressive new Astec intruder alarm system that is due to hit the market within the next 4 weeks.
    I was very impressed and have forgotten much of the specification. I think it will take the market by storm. As well as all of the features we are used to with the Astec alarm systems below is what I have remembered about this new system. I am due to fit one of these panels very soon so I will update this thread when I know more about the system.

Maximum of 30 PIRs each one with its own address.

It will accommodate standard 4 wire zones (2 tamper wires, 2 detection as used by HKC etc.), dual resistor zones and 2 wire zones (Astec type). Each individual zone can be configured differently if required.

7 amp hour battery, although looking at the panel I think it would be possible to fit in a larger battery if required.

Stylish dot matrix keypad, backlight with blue light. More than 4 can be installed as far as I remember. A cool looking keypad is inportant, because this is what a customer notices most!

The panel itself is similar in size and shape to the larger HKC panel. It is of metal construction with even more space available than the HKC.

Unlike previous Astec alarm systems this one requires 4 wires to the keypad.

It comes standard with 10 zones (I think), but many more can be added with expander cards, up to 30 zones (I think).

A broad band filter is built in as standard to the dialler card (2 types are available, voice dialler and digi dialler) that is “plugged in” to the mother board.

When the customer that has the master code allocates user codes to other individuals he/she can decide the level of control that this individual has over the alarm system. For example it may be decided that user 3 can only turn on and off the system, but not bypass zones.

Several levels of part guard available.

Upload download facility via RS232. The panel comes with all necessary software.

The panel will measure the resistance of each loop, which can be printed out and/or saved for future reference. This can be very handy when fault finding and servicing. :D:D

Apart from the keypad, expander cards, dialler and the panel itself the installer can opt to use other inertia shock sensors, PIRs, SABBs, contacts etc. made by others.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I was never a fan of the astec systems but hopefully this new panel might change that but I doubt it. The changes mentioned are all good ones as the battery issue and being kind of limited to astec only equipment was a big negative for me.
    That said they are a bit late off the mark as other manufacturers were announcing new products last year and with the market the way it is atm I think they will find it tough to push this new panel.
    I'd like to be proven wrong as they are a nice bunch to deal with but I'm just not a fan of their stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

this is good news and seema like it has lots of good features. i like the built in dsl filter. we kept a lot of the astec stuff in stock up until recently but i dont know if we will be getting these in. i never bothered with the old astec but i might buy one of these for the purpose of learning about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

the battery issue
    What battery issue?
    being kind of limited to astec only equipment was a big negative for me
    I dont know what you mean. With the current Astec panels you can use other people's accessories (such as HKC or aritech) inc. shock sensors, outside bellbox, PIRs, panic buttons etc.

Perhaps like me you have had issues in the past with Astec MCs and pre wired contacts. In fairness mine were all replaced without issues by Astec.
    I think they will find it tough to push this new panel.
    Time will tell.
    The fact that it is designed to easily replace any other system and if you are short of cables (due to a house extension or mistake) you can revert to 2 wire zones gives it a big advantage. Free training courses also give them an edge. The built in ohm meter for each zone is very clever. Each time you service the panel at the push of a button without even requiring a screw driver you can see if the resistance of a zone has creeped up, nice:D

Having said that I like the HKC stuff too! But it is not as versatile. Even when I was working on a HKC system a few days ago I still found myself using user friendly easy to connect Astec gear, a global sensor.

One of the main reasons I like their stuff is because it is Irish, I will always buy Irish if the quality and price is there. Also it means that many of us can simply drive to the factory to resolve issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

To answer some of your points
    The battery issue:
    Poor design with regard to placing the battery behind the circuit board which would often leak and cause a short on the board. Most installers I talk to will say this and the only ones who don't are the die hard astec users who use nothing else only astec.

As I said you are pretty much limited to astec equipment i.e. I couldn't use DT's or my own screened sabs unless I ordered extra modules from astec.

Also free training is a given with any product out there. Most will come out to your office and spend a morning with you going over there products.

Another thing, rs232, that's nothing special, where's the usb. Looks like I will find another use for my usb to serial converter

I will have a look at it when it comes out but I will reserve judgement until then. I hope it will be as good as you say but I have my doubts.

I think you will find that the day of "Buy Irish" is gone as most alarm gear may be designed in Ireland but is made in China or some place where the costs are lower. I don't know about astec but this is the way it's going with a lot of "Irish Manufacturers"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Jnealon wrote: »
    . Looks like I will find another use for my usb to serial converter

Ahh now now lol.
    USB would be great as would something that would allow non fixed line BB services to connect up to a monitoring service by just connecting over RJ45 to a router.
    does this have this?

I'd be very interested to know about how you have gotten over this issue before Jnealon, I remember your post about it but it would be worth a sticky IMO if you have an easy option that would be viewed as plug and play no fixed line monitoring services connection.
    (the only reason i have a fixed line is for my alarm)

• Advertisement

Poor design with regard to placing the battery behind the circuit board which would often leak and cause a short on the board
    I know what you mean, you are correct. The batteries last a long time though.

New system does not have this issue at all.
    Most will come out to your office and spend a morning with you going over there products.

Not my experience, but I take it that it is yours.
    Another thing, rs232, that's nothing special, where's the usb. Looks like I will find another use for my usb to serial converter
    Fair point.
    as most alarm gear may be designed in Ireland but is made in China or some place where the costs are lower. I don't know about astec but this is the way it's going with a lot of "Irish Manufacturers"
    100% Irish, always have been.
    Made in Pearse street, Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

fishdog wrote: »
    100% Irish, always have been.
    Made in Pearse street, Dublin.

that's good to hear, I'm sure most of the guts come from somewhere else, but it's good to hear that they do so much work on their systems here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The Astec system is riddled with problems, I have installed probably hundreds of them and when I moved into servicing I repaired them too.

They have a serious battery problem, you would be lucky to get more than five years from one, a lot of the time only three. Some companies think this is a good thing because of more revenue but its not.

Most of the problems come from their MC sensors, absolute joke. When I was on servicing I went through tons of them, most of the time they would be a couple of years old, at thirty odd quid to the customer it can get very expensive owning an Astec system.

All of Astecs components are imported and they're only assembled in Ireland so not really 100% Irish.

I have seen their new panel too and even had a little input into it's configuration, it's up against HKC and Aritech and its going to be hard to squeeze into that market. HKC have the lions share of the market but their panels are a little dated now. I mainly install Aritechs now, much better than Astec infact Astecs new keypad is like Aritechs current pads from the CS range.
    Maximum of 30 PIRs each one with its own address.

Their PIR's are useless in a less than perfect environment, really only suited to domestics, to install thirty which would more than likely be a commercial job would be madness.
    Stylish dot matrix keypad, back light with blue light. More than 4 can be installed as far as I remember. A cool looking keypad is inportant, because this is what a customer notices most!

Seen it, to chunky.
    The panel itself is similar in size and shape to the larger HKC panel. It is of metal construction with even more space available than the HKC.

Looks like the very same housing to me. Not much bigger if any.
    A broad band filter is built in as standard to the dialler card (2 types are available, voice dialler and digi dialler) that is “plugged in” to the mother board.

This is a good idea.
    When the customer that has the master code allocates user codes to other individuals he/she can decide the level of control that this individual has over the alarm system. For example it may be decided that user 3 can only turn on and off the system, but not bypass zones.

Several levels of part guard available.

Nothing new.
    The panel will measure the resistance of each loop, which can be printed out and/or saved for future reference. This can be very handy when fault finding and servicing.

Nothing new, Aritech have this feature years. Pretty useless TBH, its not very accurate and it should NEVER be used for fault finding.
    Upload download facility via RS232. The panel comes with all necessary software

Handy for large installs where you can programme it on the laptop and upload it, but for smaller jobs it wouldn't be worth your while to get out the laptop, I'd have it done before the laptop booted up.

A lot of companies that used Astecs for years don't anymore, If this new panel doesn't do well I think Astec will be in trouble financially in the not so distant future. Maybe selling all the batteries and sensors to replace all the fault ones will keep them going for a while.
    I could go on about the problems with their systems but I wont I think I have said enough. :)

The Astec system is riddled with problems
    I find them good and easy to install. I have had problems with the MCs like you. I think you have to know their limitations, by this I mean that they are fine for nothing much bigger than a 4 bed detached house.
    I have installed probably hundreds of them and when I moved into servicing I repaired them too.
    Me too.
    They have a serious battery problem, you would be lucky to get more than five years from one, a lot of the time only three.
    They are a bit of a pain to change alright:(! But at leas they only cost about €10. The new panel does not have this problem:D!
    MC sensors, absolute joke
    I agree, but you could simply use a contact and a sensor instead. It is a 2 wire system so it would not take any longer than connecting a four wire MC.
    All of Astecs components are imported and they're only assembled in Ireland so not really 100% Irish.
    Fair enough, I did not know that. At least they are assembled and designed here.
    Looks like the very same housing to me. Not much bigger if any.
    Very similar alright. Only a little bigger.
    The panel will measure the resistance of each loop, which can be printed out and/or saved for future reference. This can be very handy when fault finding and servicing.

Nothing new, Aritech have this feature years. Pretty useless TBH, its not very accurate and it should NEVER be used for fault finding.
    Neither of us have used this feature yet! Reserve judgement until you have tried it! It may be superiour to the Aritech.
    A lot of companies that used Astecs for years don't anymore
    I dont know to be honest. I do know that alot still use them. I also know alarm companies that use HKC systems with Astec global sensors! You have to admit the global sensors are great!

For the last few years I have always thought that the HKC was the best quality alarm system, but too expensive and takes too long to install for the average house. It would have been my system of choice (HKC) for large commercial jobs. Most of my work with alarms has been domestic and the Astec has been so simple, quick and cheap to install. I also like the way it can get you out of trouble if the place is wired badly because it only uses 2 wires.

As fred funk }{ has pointed out many of the new features are only new to Astec, but they made the HKC and Aritech good sellers. The other makes can not have 2 wire zones though and this can be handy if you are stuck as can often happen!! I think this panel will do well as it is much more versatile, time will tell:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

To answer some of your points
    The battery issue:
    Poor design with regard to placing the battery behind the circuit board which would often leak and cause a short on the board. Most installers I talk to will say this and the only ones who don't are the die hard astec users who use nothing else only astec.

I have used Astec from the start I have never seen one battery leak.
    I use Astec, I also use HKC Aritech Europlex & Texecom where do you get the idea Astec users use nothing else???
    As I said you are pretty much limited to astec equipment i.e. I couldn't use DT's or my own screened sabs unless I ordered extra modules from astec.
    The SABBs need a module Duel Tec or any other Devices can but dont have to.
    Also free training is a given with any product out there. Most will come out to your office and spend a morning with you going over there products.

USB will be on the New system

• Advertisement

USB will be on the New system
    Great! I did not notice that.
    I have used Astec from the start I have never seen one battery leak.
    I have never seen a leaky battery in any alarm panel. I think leaky batteries have gone out with the indians!

BTW according to the Astec website:
    The Astec product range, designed and manufactured in Ireland,

Advertisement