Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is is possible to host email seperate from domain?

Options
  • 02-06-2008 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

I tried to post this in the 'web hosting' forum but it was locked down for some reason, so apologies mods if this isn't the place but I couldn't find anywhere more appropriate to kick it off.

Basically I've just moved my hosting from an IIS/Windows hoster to a Linux/Apache hoster and all was fine until I found out that the webmail the new hoster was offering had absolutely bugger all anti-spam features, so now I'm getting buried in spam again.

The only thing they offer is a black list which you edit manually and it tops out at 256 entries so after day 2 I was screwed. Naturally when I enquired about this I was informed of a 'spam titan' offer which does do anti-spam but would cost approximately 2.5 times the yearly cost of my hosting - which is mental as I was getting all the anti-spam by default at my original hoster.

So my question is this - is it possible to host email somewhere without having to also host the domain the email is based upon (e.g. have domain.com hosted by A but emails@domain.com hosted by B because they do proper anti-spam filtering/protection)?

Or alternativey - is my only option now to move hoster again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Yes. It involves setting your "MX record" in your DNS admin to point to whoever is going to be responsible for your mail. Check with the Irish hosters' websites for email-hosting details.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

You could move to a google hosted setup. link

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to Nets/Comms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

So I can keep my email-addresses@domain.com format, leave the .com domain hosted in its current location but have my email for that domain hosted elsewhere?

Did I understand correctly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Yes you've got it correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

OK. Thanks.

So - does anyone have a recommended hoster for email then? I'd much prefer personal recommendations than trawling the 'Net if possible. Basically I've got a bunch of email addresses at various domains, all currently hosted in one place and I'd like to move the busiest of them to somewhere that provides a decent measure of anti-spam filtering and control, but it's personal sites not business sites so I don't want to pay full whack for some massive volume solution designed for heavy business use if I can avoid it.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

As Jmccrohan said above try this link .. I'm using imap mail with google apps at the moment with great success.. No spam.. all my mail on line on my pc on my phone.. where ever and when ever I want it.. all for Free...:D

Advertisement