Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle insurance?

Options
  • 02-06-2008 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hello all.
    Is it possible to get standalone bike insurance? For theft in places other than your home?

I'm a renter so obv dont have home insurance but I've a decent relationship wiht the landlord so I'm going to look into him having it on his policy in case we were broken into...not sure how that will go but we'll see...

but what about general insurance? Does it even exist in the Republic or is it more hassle than it's worth?

the bike will be worth about 600 euro
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

cycling Ireland do bike insurance if your a member

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Hello all.
    Is it possible to get standalone bike insurance? For theft in places other than your home?

I'm a renter so obv dont have home insurance but I've a decent relationship wiht the landlord so I'm going to look into him having it on his policy in case we were broken into...not sure how that will go but we'll see...

but what about general insurance? Does it even exist in the Republic or is it more hassle than it's worth?

the bike will be worth about 600 euro
    cheers

I rent too, and have a good relationship with the landlord, and so my bikes are covered on the insurance as named items, which includes theft from around town -only exception is if you're racing you ain't covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

cool. I'm surprised at that actually. Did you have to supply detailed specs to landlord or just the value of the bike etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

cool. I'm surprised at that actually. Did you have to supply detailed specs to landlord or just the value of the bike etc?

Just the value of the bikes (one at 600 and one at 1500)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Theft in places other than the home can be covered by home contents insurance- ask your landlord. I used to have my bike insured this way and it worked fine (I claimed for terminal damage due to a crash, just had to get bike shop to write a note saying it was uneconomical to repair.) Cycling Ireland insurance is very much for racing and does not cover theft outside the home unless the bike is completely inside a locked vehicle.

It's worth it if you need to leave your bike out a fair bit in public, otherwise probably not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

..so it turns out the landlord doesnt have any buildings content insurance, just the walls obviously. Can't really argue with it, I've no reason to believe he's not telling the truth as he's been sound enough so far. He said I'll have to look after it myself, havent a clue where to start but I'm gonna contact some insurance brokers and see what the story is

I won't be racing so wont need the Cycling Ireland insurance.

Anybody in similar position?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

Your home insurance will only cover bikes up to €500 approx. Does differ between insurers but not much.
    The insurance from cycle ireland will cover bikes up to €10,000. So Carbon fibre bikes are covered. But the payout is on the market value of the bike not new for old. You can also get cover for damage during races.

Beware the policy runs from Jan 1st to Dec 31st. So buying now costs full price but only covers half the year.

Advertisement