Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun dealership application

Options
  • 02-06-2008 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Does anyone have any experiance in going thru the procedure of a gun dealership application?
    Have had out the FAO to inspect the premisis in Feb.He was happy enough,waited two months for a reply from the Super as to his results on backround check,after much phoning and prodding he replied that he had sent his recommendations to the DOJ.
    Rang DOJ on Thurs last to inquire if they had recived the application.They rang back Fri to say they had recived it and it was under consideration.When asked how long is their consideration time/ process?
    I was told they have no time limits on a consideration of this matter.:eek::(
    So now what does one do??Apart from starting to grow a beard to ones belt buckle while waiting in suspense?Is there anything that can be done to get some sort of inkling as to DOJs process on this?Would like to be able to plan when I can get the builders in,and start welding up steel an myrid other things that need doing to get this running.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Does anyone have any experiance in going thru the procedure of a gun dealership application?
    Have had out the FAO to inspect the premisis in Feb.He was happy enough,waited two months for a reply from the Super as to his results on backround check,after much phoning and prodding he replied that he had sent his recommendations to the DOJ.
    Rang DOJ on Thurs last to inquire if they had recived the application.They rang back Fri to say they had recived it and it was under consideration.When asked how long is their consideration time/ process?
    So now what does one do??Apart from starting to grow a beard to ones belt buckle while waiting in suspense?Is there anything that can be done to get some sort of inkling as to DOJs process on this?Would like to be able to plan when I can get the builders in,and start welding up steel an myrid other things that need doing to get this running.

I asked this question before to a local dealer that i know quite well and
    he replied that it took nearly a year in his case , you might have a fair beard on you before you get your answer grizzly- you might have to change your boards name to grizzly adams:eek:-hope not. good luck on your application-good deals for all boards users and all that!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Yeah, where will you be based? I can only assume there'll be a boards discount for all of us lovely folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Course there will be deals for all.Thing is I wont be running a shop in a town per se.Will be doing it out of my home.We have a fine cellar with an old what I think was an old powder magazine or strong room.Am going to be going to the more high end firearms and special orders.

Also, I am looking at getting started an indoor range for down in the Limerick area as well.Once I can get the current tenant to remove his junk....er ..precious antiques.:p.
    So I could really use some help on this as well from our local members.Everything from somone who can drive a shovel and pick and carry things to plumbers,electricans,carpenters,plant hire folks.And especially those who have done this as wellIn short everyone and anyone who can help out,in anyway.
    If I build it...Will yiz come??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I learned how to wire Cat5 cable over the weekend, got my hands on a crimper as well - I can do internet stuff fr you!!

In all seriousness, best of luck with the applications for the range and the store. Used to live in Limerick but am based on the other side of the country now so won't be able to help much!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

If I build it...Will yiz come??

Well, I'll certainly be availing of the wonderful Boardsie discount and such. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

best of luck grizzly:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Best of luck with the application. A regular phonecall to the DOJ, let's say once every two weeks to see how they're getting on ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

Hi all,

mmm is there any body that went to the (FCB) get together in the midland area might they know somebody like(gb)=DOJ=a little help:eek:
    let see if anybody is willing help a board .ie menber to help thing along
    the way steve:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Ned Muldhoon

process is fairly simple.

- Application to local super
    - If the application of supported by the local - the information is passed to the crime prevention officer.
    - The CPO will visit - at this point you will explain the security elements you will put in place (best to have this detailed with schematics / artchitect drawings / security review etc)
    - CPO will give you recommendations
    - If all of the above is ok, you will receive a letter from the DOJ instructing you to commence work. Once this work is completed you will then inform your CPO who will make another visit and if all is ok, the completed application is then sent to the DOJ / Crime 4 for further consideration

- Assuming everyting is passed you'll get a letter requesting payment for the license - send this off and you will receive your dealers cert in about a week.

From experience, there's no point hassling the DOJ. your CPO is the best avenue for updates.

I think 6 to 9 months is normal for processing start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

process is fairly simple.
    Just to let folks where the work/process is now at.Will save having to repost same details.
    - Application to local super
    CHECK Done
    - If the application of supported by the local - the information is passed to the crime prevention officer.
    Check Done
    - The CPO will visit - at this point you will explain the security elements you will put in place (best to have this detailed with schematics / artchitect drawings / security review etc)
    Check Done No major building requirements needed.Apart from extn to existing alarm system,and steel doors.CPO is happy if I build them myself up to reqd standards.
    - CPO will give you recommendations
    Check Done

-
    If all of the above is ok, you will receive a letter from the DOJ instructing you to commence work. Once this work is completed you will then inform your CPO who will make another visit and if all is ok, the completed application is then sent to the DOJ / Crime 4 for further consideration
    -
    So we are pretty much at this stage here.
    From experience, there's no point hassling the DOJ. your CPO is the best avenue for updates.

I think 6 to 9 months is normal for processing start to finish.

Cheers Ned:) ,Tell us,How long do you have under the temp liscense to complete construction,or is it in your own time?

• Advertisement

Grizzly,

There's no real limitation on how long you take to complete the work, but I would keep your CPO informed as you go along. Best of luck - anything I can help with - PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

That's what your local TD is for. Get him to write in and get some parliamentary questions put down. Become a pain in the ass.

Dresden - can't see what help a TD could be at this stage - The biggest delay at this stage is the time taken to complete work and get completion approval from the CPO (I also forgot to add you need to register with the local Auth. / Fire service as an RFD - simple process only takes a day or two).

Once you've got the go ahead from the Super / CPO / DOJ - it's up to you how fast you want to progress this.

Advertisement