Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farmleigh House

Options
  • 02-06-2008 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

A hidden jem. Well at least it was for me anyway, so I might as well let the rest of you in on it.

I have heard about Farmleigh House before, how much it cost the State, and what a waste of time and money it was etc. I just never bothered going near it as I didn't realise that the grounds were open to the public. Just came across it today by accident and strolled around the grounds, which cover 78 acres. It's a really beautiful, quiet and peaceful place. I havn't taken the tour of the house yet, but it's now on my to do list.

http://www.farmleigh.ie/tour.htm

You can enter the grounds of Farmleigh from the Park itself and park on the road outside, or you can drive down towards the Park to Whites Gate (the entrance to the Park nearest Castleknock College). Leave the car outside the Park on the road which is a cul de sac. Walk through Whites Gate, and just inside is entrance to the grounds of Farmleigh is on your RHS.

It's a perfect place for a picnic on a fine day, without the hassle of heading off to the beach, and the sand and traffic . Reminds me of the Botanic(al!) Gardens. Dogs must be kept on a lead. There is also a lovely coffee house type of place right beside an ornamental lake/pond.

Anyone got any other hidden jems that they want to share?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

The tour of the house is great. Try and do it on a week day.

There is also another coffee place in behind the main house (it may be closed at the moment for renovations).

There is also an art gallery out the back.

Definitely a hidden gem!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Farmleigh is not in Dublin 15. :evil smilie:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Slow coach wrote: »

:p

Actually I knew somebody would say that as soon as I moved the other thread. I'll go hand in my mod badge now. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It may not be but it's a damn sight closer tbh and a handy ammentity for people in the d15 area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Slow coach wrote: »

The owners of Farmleigh, the OPW, seem to think that it is. Perhaps we should contact An Post and see which office delivers mail the there.

http://www.farmleigh.ie/contact.htm

What postal address would you think yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

I have cut and pasted all below from the Dublin Events Guide which is free. It has dozens of things happening all over the City. Details of how to subscribe at the end

SEPTEMBERFEST - FARMLEIGH HOUSE
    On Sat+Sun 13-14 Sept from 11:00-18:30 the September Fest will take place in Farmleigh House in Phoenix Park. The official advertisement says "Something different is happening in Farmleigh this September. Something bold and exciting, something that is both old and new at the same time. Something that celebrates an important part of our heritage, our culture, our past, and our present. "SeptemberFest 2008" will undoubtedly be one of the huge draws at Farmleigh this year. Held over two days, Saturday the 13th and Sunday the 14th of September, and run in conjunction with Bord Bia, this event will have something for everybody. For the first time ever, Ireland's craft brewers will come together to showcase their wonderful products, from traditional ales and beers, to artisan apple ciders. Their fantastic produce will be available to taste and purchase, with the dedicated brewers offering their expert advice on what beverages compliment certain dishes, as well as presenting an insight into the age old craft of brewing and its place in Irish history. With such fantastic producers like David Llewellyn showcasing his ciders, and the Carlow Brewing Company displaying their stouts and ales, the micro-brewery marquee is sure to be full of aromas and atmosphere throughout the weekend. While enjoying your glass of beer, why not take in the music of the various brass bands, guitarists and singers who will perform over the two days. There will also be lectures, exhibits and displays examining where and when our food and drink traditions were born. Some wonderful speciality food produce will also be available throughout the event with high quality speciality producers feeding the masses with their delicious offerings. From great food to fantastic beers to wonderful entertainment, "SeptemberFest 2008" is sure to be one of the highlights on this year's Farmeleigh calendar."
    Tickets are not required for this event and admission is free. www.framleigh.ie

After/before this you can also attend this

SARI SOCCERFEST/COUNT US IN FESTIVAL - PHOENIX PARK
    SARI stands for "Sport Against Racism Ireland" and the 12th Annual Soccerfest and 'Count Us In' Children and Youth Festival organised by SARI are taking place on Sat and Sun 13-14 Sept. at the Garda and Camogie Sports Ground in Phoenix Park.
    Soccerfest is Ireland's largest intercultural sports festival and sees 48 teams from around the world competing against each other. The launch of the Count Us In festival will see regional representatives from the FAI, GAA, IRFU and Athletics Ireland on hand to provide coaching and mini tournaments to young people from all over Ireland on Sunday 14th from 12:00 - 16:00. Both events are free and open to the public.
    This year's Soccerfest and 'Count Us In' festival will have a host of family entertainment and fun as well as sports. This will include, Gymboree, Face painting, Clowns, Drummers, DJs, Punjabi Dancers, Capoeira. In addition, live music will be provided by Samba, Lisa O'Neil, The Peace Messengers, Stone and Jezreel alongside DJ's playing world music.
    Unfortunately the website www.sari.ie only has a long and "blurby" press release but doesn't provide any details about the event. I can't see when the Soccerfest starts and/or ends on Saturday. And there is no information about the schedule for the entertainment. All I can gather is that the Soccerfest will take place on Saturday AND Sunday and the Count Us In Festival will take place from 12:00-16:00 on Sunday only. Somewhere else I found in the advertisement "International Women's competition" and "FAI under 12s & under 14s mixed soccer blitz" but again it would be very interesting to know when and WHO can take part. The event sounds really interesting, but it would have helped to provide some more detail if visitors (or even participants) are really welcome! Pity! www.sari.ie

To subscribe they only have to send a mail to dublineventguide@gmail.com. This Event Guide (the "Dublin Event Guide (for Free Events)") is an Event Guide with a difference. It covers mostly free events based on the thinking that free events deserve additional support and that non-free events have the money to pay for advertisement. The Guide is a _guide_ and not just a listing and is therefore at times quite extensive. It is sent for free to anybody who is interested and if you want to be added to the mailing list or know somebody who would like to receive this guide, just send a mail to dublineventguide@gmail.com with the Subject "Subscribe".

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Murt10 wrote: »
    The owners of Farmleigh, the OPW, seem to think that it is. Perhaps we should contact An Post and see which office delivers mail the there.

http://www.farmleigh.ie/contact.htm

What postal address would you think yourself?

An Post also think it's in Dublin 15 - this is the address from the An Post address checker:

Farmleigh House Gate Lodge
    White's Road
    Castleknock
    Dublin 15

Was there last year with my son - they've a small farm yard at the back if I'm not mistaken. Didn't do the tour though, must do that some day. Great resource to have locally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

We have been up there regularly. There are often food markets on in September. We have been to plays in the house, and fairs in the grounds.

Its a great place to go with the kids.

And christmas !! Wow - you really have to take a trip up there and hear carols in the conservortory (sp?!), and enjoy mulled wine and mince pies in the cafe - yum. Last year we got a free carrage ride around the grounds - well worth the queueing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I was at this on Saturday and I have to say it was great! The event itself might have been a little flat but it was my first time in Farmleigh and I love the grounds. The sunken garden is beautiful as are the walled gardens and it's just such a lovely place to take a strolll around. I'll definitely be looking out for the Christmas events littlebitdull!

Glad to see that someone has pushed Dublin Event Guide here it realy is a great resource for free things every weekend :)
    I'm thinking of starting something similar on Facebook for Dublin 15 area for all events (if it was just free events it'd be pretty scarce!) but it'll be more of a collaborative effort I think...maybe I should start a new thread for this :D

Advertisement