Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mortgage Refused!!

• 02-06-2008 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Myself and my girlfriend were this week refused a mortgage due to the fact that her name is on the irish credit bureau (ICB) because of some trouble she last year with credit card repayments totalling €400. I am now trying to get mortgage with my dad as gaurantor but would be hoping that myself and my girlfriend can re mortgage in a couple of years. However we have been told that her name will be on ICB for 5 years and we are worried that we will not be able to get mortgage until that time is up.
    Does anyone have any experience with this? She has a good job now and if she has a clean bill of health for the next couple of years would the banks still turn her down? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

P.S. Sorry if i havent explained situation properly!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

So, she was a bad girl.

Whats exactly on the ICB? Has that bad debt been paid off? Is it still on going?
    If she could address the issue of the ICB, there might not be a need to have your dad there.

There was a long tread about ICB a few weeks back, best to look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭barrymac20

her credit card was revoked due to missed repayments. The debt has been cleared off in full but her name will still remain there for 5 years. Apparently there is nothing anyone can do to get her name off it!!

Ah right, thats it.

Well it shows the bank that the person had a small debt and dealt with it wrong enough for it to be reported onto the ICB.

Have you explained to the bank that said no, that the debt is all cleared?

Chances are you'll have to explain what happened to any bank you'll deal with in the future.

Does the gf have proof of the credit card being sorted???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

barrymac20 wrote: »
    Myself and my girlfriend were this week refused a mortgage due to the fact that her name is on the irish credit bureau (ICB) because of some trouble she last year with credit card repayments totalling €400. I am now trying to get mortgage with my dad as gaurantor but would be hoping that myself and my girlfriend can re mortgage in a couple of years. However we have been told that her name will be on ICB for 5 years and we are worried that we will not be able to get mortgage until that time is up.
    Does anyone have any experience with this? She has a good job now and if she has a clean bill of health for the next couple of years would the banks still turn her down? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

P.S. Sorry if i havent explained situation properly!!

IMO they are just using that as an excuse in the current climate and also because it was not disclosed on the app or in discussions: they found it and nobody likes that, if u are upfront then it is better.

I have got loans for client with this problem but it is clearly stated in the cover letter.
    On another matter, if u remortgage later with ur gf will she get the FTB grant on 2nd hand prop; I dont know

I think both Party must be 1st time buyers to get the grant. So a re-mortgage is going to stop that.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I think both Party must be 1st time buyers to get the grant. So a re-mortgage is going to stop that.

Yes, that is true. When my bro in law bought his house they had to pay stamp duty, cos his GF bought a house with her ex, and he was a first time buyer.

Op, if the GF has proof that her debt was repaid in full, the bank will probably need to see that before they'd reconsider their decision. Did ye go to a broker or deal with a bank directly? A broker may have an idea of banks who have loaned to people in the past who are in your situation? That said though, with the way banks are being in a minute, you may have trouble getting approval with your GF's credit rating.

At the time of our application we didnt know that she had been reported to the ICB and thats why we didnt mention it. We're dealing with a broker and they basically told us that in the current climate if you dont tick every box then all (or most) lenders will say no. We can only hope that the climate improves and the banks relax over the next couple of years.
    I have a question in relation to what you're saying about FTB grant. How does remortgaging work? If i already own the house (joint mortgage with Dad) and i want to remortgage (on my own) do i have to pay stamp duty? Even though i already own the house? Surely not.

Ah right, thats it.

Well it shows the bank that the person had a small debt and dealt with it wrong enough for it to be reported onto the ICB.

Have you explained to the bank that said no, that the debt is all cleared?

Chances are you'll have to explain what happened to any bank you'll deal with in the future.

Does the gf have proof of the credit card being sorted???

Yes and yes. The ICB has been updated showing the closing balane on the card as €0.

Well i would explain that to the bank that refused you and see if they change there mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭Mitzy

Which credit card company was it through? This can make a bearing on the lenders decision also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 MortgageBrbr

Point 1 : If you give a valid explanation to the lenders as to the reason of the revoked credit card they may take a second look at it.
    If not there are a number of other lenders out there which you could try.

Point 2: If you purchase the property and in a number of years your girlfriend wants to go on the mortgage as a FTB. There will be no stamp duty to be paid, because effectively you already own the property and as your girl friend is a FTB. Stamp duty will not apply.

Anything else let me know.

Advertisement