Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most likely club to break top four?

• 02-06-2008 4:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭

Just out of interest.

Who do people think out of all the clubs outside the top 4 would be the most likely to get CL football?

Which one is the most likely to break top 4? 100 votes

Everton
    0% 0 votes
    Aston Villa
    11% 11 votes
    Blackburn
    15% 15 votes
    Portsmouth
    0% 0 votes
    Manchester City
    6% 6 votes
    West Ham
    12% 12 votes
    Tottenham
    2% 2 votes
    Newcastle
    48% 48 votes
    Someone else.
    6% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Has to be Spurs really, doesn't it? They're buying everyone. I hope it's at the expense of Man U

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

monkey9 wrote: »
    Has to be Spurs really, doesn't it? They're buying everyone. I hope it's at the expense of Man U

Think their the last club that would fall from top 4 unfortunately. Has to be one of Arsenal or Pool as things stand but if Ambramovich leaves Chelsea things could go sour quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Liverpool :p

Babybing wrote: »
    Think their the last club that would fall from top 4 unfortunately. Has to be one of Arsenal or Pool as things stand but if Ambramovich leaves Chelsea things could go sour quick.

Nah, Utd are over-rated. Mid-table obscurity for them next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I would say Citeh if they spend lots of money and get a good manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I voted for us out of sheer loyalty and eternal optimism.

Xavi6 wrote: »

Barcelona?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

+1 but for Villa, although I would think that apart from Spurs we would be the 2nd most likely to do so but it wont (hopr im wrong) be this year. Villas is a gradual improvement year on year.

Barcelona?

City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Celtic.

• Advertisement

City

;)

Think if City can hold on to their quality players and get a good manager they will be in with a shout but that Sinatra fella would worry me if I was a city fan.

Dunne and Micha has to be up there with the best CB partnerships in the league.

;)

Think if City can hold on to their quality players and get a good manager they will be in with a shout but that Sinatra fella would worry me if I was a city fan.

Dunne and Micha has to be up there with the best CB partnerships in the league.

We are gettin a good manager. Sparky's on his way in. Dunne may stay as well now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

+1 but for Villa, although I would think that apart from Spurs we would be the 2nd most likely to do so but it wont (hopr im wrong) be this year. Villas is a gradual improvement year on year.

+1 for Villa too although they would really need to start getting their finger out in regards recruiting decent players.

We are gettin a good manager. Sparky's on his way in. Dunne may stay as well now.

That will be massive if he stays, would have loved Dunne at Spurs:(

Do Villa have much in the kitty for the summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Do Villa have much in the kitty for the summer?

as much as mon wants, same as hes had since he took over

only problem is he doesnt seem to like spending

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

Leeds, once we get back into the Prem.

Biggest one club city in Europe, large worldwide fanbase, one of the if not the best youth academies in England, and, hopefully, Ken Bates six feet under.

Champions League in 4 years :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Hmm as a newcastle fan there is no way we will break the top 4 in the next few years, we just need to go with the example that villa has set, young talented players who play with the heart on their sleeves.

Saying that, i think Villa or Everton have the best oppurtunity to break the top 4, both have good squads and are pretty consistent. Dont think Spurs will break top 4 anytime soon, yes they have some very talented players but i they just always seem to put in some great performances against the top 4 teams and then lose or draw to some very poor teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Spurs are defo in the best position to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Spurs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Everton or Villa for me. These two teams, imo, are showing everyone below them how it should be done. If I had to choose one though, I would go for Moyes. Seems to have a better eye for a player, and willing to bring in a big name or two.

As a Newky fan, I can't see us breaking the top 4 anytime soon, but I do see us progressing each season as long as Keegan is at the helm and Ashley backs him in the market. Top 7 next season and a cup run would be smashing.

Really hope Spuds don't do it though, as they seem to be using us as their scouting division as of late. :pac:

I think Citey's fate will depend wholey on their Owner's approach. If he pulls another Sven, they could be going round in roundabouts for the next few years. Hope not though, as they are one of the 'good guys'.

Blackburn could potentially freefall if Hughes leaves, particularly if the presently unemployed Fat Sam gets the job. Hoof ball United will kill the likes of Pederson, Cruz, McCarthy, Bentley and co.

Pompey I guess have as good a shout as anyone, and I really like the team that 'Arry is builing down on the south coast.

Another mid-table finish for the Hammers is all I foresee fro them, sorry Newcastle Jr. fans, but you have far too many sick notes, and there is word that the squad size has to be trimmed due to he massif wage bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

Everton or Villa for me. These two teams, imo, are showing everyone below them how it should be done. If I had to choose one though, I would go for Moyes. Seems to have a better eye for a player, and willing to bring in a big name or two.

As a Newky fan, I can't see us breaking the top 4 anytime soon, but I do see us progressing each season as long as Keegan is at the helm and Ashley backs him in the market. Top 7 next season and a cup run would be smashing.

Really hope Spuds don't do it though, as they seem to be using us as their scouting division as of late. :pac:

I think Citey's fate will depend wholey on their Owner's approach. If he pulls another Sven, they could be going round in roundabouts for the next few years. Hope not though, as they are one of the 'good guys'.

Blackburn could potentially freefall if Hughes leaves, particularly if the presently unemployed Fat Sam gets the job. Hoof ball United will kill the likes of Pederson, Cruz, McCarthy, Bentley and co.

Pompey I guess have as good a shout as anyone, and I really like the team that 'Arry is builing down on the south coast.

Another midtable finish for the Hammers is all I foresee fro them, sorry Newcastle Jr. fans, but you have far too many sick notes, and there is word that the squad size has to be trimmed due to he massif wae bill.

Would have thought you'd have alot in common in that you both used us ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

None of the above.

Man Utd and Chelsea will contest the league this year, Arsenal will finish third, and unless Liverpool completely implode, i dont see the "big four" being split for quite a while to come.

Hmm as a newcastle fan there is no way we will break the top 4 in the next few years, we just need to go with the example that villa has set, young talented players who play with the heart on their sleeves.

Saying that, i think Villa or Everton have the best oppurtunity to break the top 4, both have good squads and are pretty consistent. Dont think Spurs will break top 4 anytime soon, yes they have some very talented players but i they just always seem to put in some great performances against the top 4 teams and then lose or draw to some very poor teams.

Spurs have a decent manager now though

monkey9 wrote: »
    Spurs have a decent manager now though

spurs had a decent manager before ramos too

Eirebear wrote: »
    None of the above.

Man Utd and Chelsea will contest the league this year, Arsenal will finish third, and unless Liverpool completely implode, i dont see the "big four" being split for quite a while to come.

Indeed, but this thread is asking who is most likely to do it.

Would have thought you'd have alot in common in that you both used us ;)

Touche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Obviously I doubt anyone will break the top four, but if anyone can I reckon it's Tottenham at Arsenal's expense.

For Arsenal, Flamini and maybe Hleb will need to be replaced. Nasri is a great player but I'm not entirely sure that he's the right player for Arsenal to be buying, since they already have Fabregas and Rosicky. They have a pretty solid defence but an injury to anyone really and they are struggling. Up front Van Persie will hardly stay fit for an entire season, it remains to be seen how Eduardo can recover, and I personally think Adebayor was playing above himself this season - maybe I'm wrong. Basically I think they are very vulnerable to injuries at the moment, and a few key players being missing for a few key months could allow someone mount a challenge on their CL place. On the other hand, a few good transfers and they're sorted so it's probably too early to be speculating. Plus you could stick Fabregas in the Hull team and they'd nearly challenge for a CL spot.

As for Tottenham, I think - unlike the majority of the chasing pack, whose teams are made up almost exclusively of eleven very good, very solid players - Tottenham have some outstanding talents in their team. Keane/Berbatov is as good a strike partnership as the Premiership has to offer. Modric will be a fantastic signing as well I feel. And with players like Bale, King (maybe) and Woodgate they have some real pedigree throughout the team. On the other hand, mediocre players also get their game at Tottenham - Chimbonda, Malbranque, Dawson, Jenas. A few good signings to replace a few of these, and Spurs could be laughing. Great manager, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Obviously I doubt anyone will break the top four, but if anyone can I reckon it's Tottenham at Arsenal's expense.

lol, what? the team who led the table for half of last season? surely Liverpool with their ownership mess and non activity (so far anyway) in the transfer front would be a better candidate. Or Chelsea, the team that's without a manager and seemingly about to be broken down and shipped out like flatpack furniture...

• Advertisement

lol, what? the team who led the table for half of last season? surely Liverpool with their ownership mess and non activity (so far anyway) in the transfer front would be a better candidate. Or Chelsea, the team that's without a manager and seemingly about to be broken down and shipped out like flatpack furniture...

Well, I did give some reasons.

Chelsea will be grand, it would take a collapse of epic proportions to keep that squad out of the top 4. Whatever about Liverpool's ownership mess, they have a very strong spine to their team and are just two or three big signings away from a title challenge imo. This whole question depends on summer transfers, so it's pointless right now, but I think Arsenal without at least signing an established defensive midfielder are more likely to struggle than any of the other big 4. They could also pull it out of the bag like they did this season, but I hate to remind you that last season ≠ next season.

It is a bold statement of behalf of the Nun but I think he may be onto something. It is unlikely but his logic is reasonable enough, i.e. they have a small squad and injuries could hit them hard and they seems to have already lost 2 of their starting 11. Before they even start adding to the team, they have go about replacing 2 players that were integral to their season.

As I said though, it is unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Sounds like last summer all over again.

Arsenal were much closer to winning the league than finishing 5th, and Spurs finished in the bottom half. Didn't think that would stop people make the same prediction again though.

they have a very strong spine to their team and are just two or three big signings away from a title challenge imo

after hearing that every single summer since the premiership started, youll excuse me if i have a little snigger

top 3 will remain the same, 4th depends on liverpool really

I really don't think it would happen but some people seem to be of the opinion that there is a massive gap between Arsenal and Liverpool based on the fact that Arsenal seemed to be in contention for league with 8 matches left whereas Liverpool were out of it by Christmas.

In my opinion, while I feel that Arsenal were that bit better than Liverpool last season, I firmly believe that the "Arsenal had a better season because they were still in contention come April" argument is nonsense. Liverpool appeared to be out of it by Christmas because of a series of draws in a handful of fixtures. IIRC, with 3 or 4 games left to go in the season a large majority of the fixtures that Arsenal drew in the closing quarter of the seasons were the same that Liverpools stumbled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Unearthly wrote: »
    I would say Citeh if they spend lots of money and get a good manager.

Thats true of any team though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

In my opinion, while I feel that Arsenal were that bit better than Liverpool last season, I firmly believe that the "Arsenal had a better season because they were still in contention come April" argument is nonsense. Liverpool appeared to be out of it by Christmas because of a series of draws in a handful of fixtures. IIRC, with 3 or 4 games left to go in the season a large majority of the fixtures that Arsenal drew in the closing quarter of the seasons were the same that Liverpools stumbled.

would Liverpool have been in the same position if they had both Babel and Kuyt missing for half the season? for all the talk of Arsenal having a tiny squad, they were hit by injuries the worst of all the top 4 and were still able to mount a title challenge... people seem to forget this...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Qpr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Villa or Man City, Villa have astute management in MON & Randy Lerner, Man City have essentially all the money they need (dripping in blood obviously:rolleyes:) and new found clout and confidence to think big,either way both will have to wait for one of the top 4 (Liverpool) to stumble, shouldnt be too much longer now...

Spurs had their chance but they are just returning to their normality(11th & a cup win) Ramos may be the saviour to take them to the promised land, but for as long as ive been a football fan Spurs always talk big and then bomb, i see no reason why this time it will be different. Everton are at their peak right now but without substantial investment on the horizon they are surely unlikely to keep pace season after season in the top 6 and what David Moyes does next will probably be the key determinant in what happens to Everton over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

sure any of man city, spurs, everton and the like could finish in the top 4 any one season

thats not he same as breaking into the top 4. the current "top 4" are not going to be broken in any sustained way anytime soon i reckon. it would take an implosion from the top to the bottom to initiate that kinda change

the current top 4 are going to be the most attractive destination for all the top players for years to come and i dont see that changing, unfortunate as that is for entertainment value, competativeness and making the league interesting in general.

liverpool, man utd and arsenal are in the top 4 because they've done things the right way for a long long time, investing properly, hiring good personel, being patient, making the most of their assets etc...

man city, spurs, everton and the the rest havent done that over such a sustained period to be able to put themselves at that level.

for what its worth i like how spurs work as a club, i think moyes is a great manager and the driving force behind everton. over a longer period i see both of them having the better chance of breaking the top 4 over time, man city on the other hand look to have the money to be able to do it sooner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

There seems to be a move on to limit the foriegn players in one way or another, if this happens, then there will be a shake up and someone else may come in, but if things go the way they keep going and the big 4 keep getting the champs league revenue, then how can it change?

I think Villa have the most potential because I rate MON so much, but Spure have the best quality on the park, if they can keep consistancy and Ramos turns out to be as good aS HE SEEMS, then it could be spurs too. At whos expense? I would say Chelsea and Liverpool, becasue I think Chelsea are very unsettled at the minute and are buying mercenaries rather then quality, and Liverpool just dont have the clout of UTD and Arsenal.

My worry for Arsenal is that Wenger may sacrifice a real chance at winning big because he does not go into the market for Overpriced Superstars, but rather gets great potential at a good deal and develops them. This is a risky ploy, but one he is exceptional at, and with the new stadium I just dont see them faltering.

• Advertisement

There seems to be a move on to limit the foriegn players in one way or another, if this happens, then there will be a shake up and someone else may come in, but if things go the way they keep going and the big 4 keep getting the champs league revenue, then how can it change?

If that was implemented now Villa would waltz into the top 4 as it stands. Arsenal would have to go out and pay over the odds for Eglish players too (god would wenger hate that), Ashley Young/Micah Richards would each be around £35m.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

If that was implemented now Villa would waltz into the top 4 as it stands. Arsenal would have to go out and pay over the odds for Eglish players too (god would wenger hate that), Ashley Young/Micah Richards would each be around £35m.

By all accounts Arsenal have some very good English players coming through the ranks who Arsene believes may be good enough for the first team if this mad rule comes in.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    By all accounts Arsenal have some very good English players coming through the ranks who Arsene believes may be good enough for the first team if this mad rule comes in.

hope so really like Arsenal as a club, Randall, Gibbs, Landsbury and co i assume

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

hope so really like Arsenal as a club, Randall, Gibbs, Landsbury and co i assume

Randall has looked quite good in the small bits I have seen of him and his goal against Sunderland should have stood, big season for them nxt season, they will be fringe players but they will have opportunities in the carling cup to impress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

The likelyhood of all them breaking through is slim. I remember my dad telling me that Brady told him Graham Barrett was a shoe in to make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I don't get the Spurs bandwagon at all. This so called "great side" could be mistaken for a bunch of overpaid flopstars. Oh and their seemingly great manager has all of half a season experience in the Premiership.

If you had to pick one it has to be Everton based on recent years performances, they've been fairly consistent in their progress. I would rule out City, one good season does not a Top 4 club make esp considering the dipstick that runs the club now. Villa still lack strength in depth but defo have the Manager to be there or thereabouts. Portsmouth for all their flair and endeavour will not have the resources to compete on that level year after year. Blackburn are Blackburn.

I think a more appropriate question would be "Which of the Top 4 is most likely to self implode?" because for the stronghold to be broken it will require a change from the top down. I think Chelsea and Liverpool will feel the effects of all the off the field unrest and if they lose their important players then they would be most at risk of slipping. If/when that happens, you could pick any one of 6 teams that could sneak the CL spot.

Savman wrote:
    I think a more appropriate question would be "Which of the Top 4 is most likely to self implode?"

That's probably true.

In the long term, I think the answer to that has to be Chelsea, because they are scuppered if Abrahmovic ever gets bored. 'Big 4' dominance will have to end some day, and I'd expect it to be sooner than most predict.

I mean, who knows what will happen to Chelsea as a club if Abramhovic leaves - if I were a Chelsea fan, I'd like to think that the board have made plans for this, but who knows? On the one hand, the Russian money could build a solid foundation for decades of success for Chelsea - or the club could find itself in the League 1 playoffs against Leeds.

Both United and Liverpool (particularly the former) have massive issues with regard to debt. A season or two outside the CL (not unimagineable - finish 3rd and go out in the qualifying round in a freak result) could put them in a lot of bother.

And both United and Arsenal will have to look at replacing their long term managers soon, which could cause a lot of disruption.

They all look good now, granted, but look at Milan for example. Won the CL last year, didn't qualify this year! Or Valencia, tipped as outsiders for the CL last season, flirted with relegation from La Liga this season! Weird stuff happens in football. I guess in the end, the richest clubs will always rise to the top, but I don't think it's beyond some of the chasing pack to catch up in the mean time.

Won't happen next season, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

No one seems to take Everton very serious it seems, fine by us..;)

we have already broke this 'top four' thing and im sure we will continue to do so, unless moyes gets sacked or replaced, which seems unlikely.

City - you cant picture city finishing fifth, with the current state of them its nigh on impossible task.

Spurs- big underachievers, last season they were meant to be 'challenging', im sure next season the same will be said.

Newcastle- um right.

Pompey- pompey have a solid squad and should finsih well into the top 10 or above next season.

Blackburn - a good squad and all that but 5th spot is out of their reach.

villa- hmm, rather tasty team but needs more muscle.

Liverpool, and not because of my toffee status , are the team most likely to be nipped in the bud for 4th spot

they are paying the cost for years of over paid, underachieving flops, bar CL success the team are miles off the pace for actually winnning a prem league. They won't win it next year either. now they have pretty no money, unsure future with stadia, ownership blah blah...

Chelski, Man U and Arse are pretty much in a different galaxy compared to the rest of the prem as it stands.

City - you cant picture city finishing fifth, with the current state of them its nigh on impossible task.

'Current state of them'? What current state? Yeah we've lost our manager but nothing else. If Hughes comes in then we are in a hugely strong position with a good manager and plenty of money to spend. Apparently Jo is to sign once the new man is appointed, Dunne has hinted at a U-turn and the likes of Elano and Petrov have said they are delighted to stay no matter who's in charge.

Jeez you'd swear there was some sort of crisis at the club. The fact is once someone gets appointed we're going to be in a great position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

Newcastle, Man city, Liverpool spurs and chelsea all suffer on the pitch because of the behaviour of their boardrooms, Chelsea just have thje power of money to not make it matter as much. All the others suffer and have dips in form when the headlines are coming from the top rather then the bottom. Until these boards learn to shut up, these teams will struggle to keep in the top 6 or seven. Liverpool have been so lucky to have a coach like rafa, but if the roadshow keeps going on over there, they will be the first to drop.

This is one reason why, if they get a real sized squad that is, I think villa can really make that move. It looks though, like spurs have truned a corner too, next year will be crucial in these teams developments.

• Advertisement
Advertisement