Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you think of Irish Comedians Today?

• 02-06-2008 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi Folks
    Was wondering what do you all think about current comedians doing the rounds in Irish Life today?

I have read a few links, namely David McSavage, Tommy Tieran and Ed Byrne.

Some are hated , some are loved, some are very good, some just ok or worse.

Please let me know what u all think.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Are there any really good ones? All the ones I can think of are average if not absolutely woeful (looking at you Ed Byrne).

So which one are you OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭rockysweatpants

hi there
    Ha ha, I am not a comedian. However I do love comedy.
    The more silly and stupid the better , like Benny Hill and the like.

What I hate is political or deep thinking comedy. Hey it can be funny but just leaves me feeling like a bigger fool than I already am.

I have to say that I try and support Irish comedians. There are a fresh talented group out there.

That said I am not a fan of Ed Byrne or Tommy Tieran.
    With Tieran who is incredibly famous and succesfull. I admit, I find it hard to laugh along and I have tried.

I have seen David McSavage about 4 times, on the street and in one or two clubs and got his dvd and believed that he was our best hope. However reading LOADS of stuff it is obvious that he is hated and loathed.
    I still think that aint a bad thing and he could still be the comedian that does it.

Jason Byrne I like very much. A weird odd world he creates and I put him among the better of the bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

They're god awful. Especially that ladyboy Andrew Maxwell. I'd like to see a good Irish comedian who could actually act like an adult on stage but the whole lot of them seem to be stuck in some sort of arrested development.

Yeah good call.
    I actually went to Vicar St to see Andrew Maxwell, not fully knowing who he was.

To my astonishment, I pretended to BE Andrew Maxwell just to get in as I had no ticket and the dumb **** of a security guard was gonna let me in.

So the ****ing Security Guard didnt even know what he looked like.

Then I finally saw him, on Ryan Turbridy I think, talking about being a Dad and buying his music cd's in Tesco. Hey the performance was BAAAAADDDD.

If I wanna laugh, I watch 'The Comedy Channel' or some good comedian or even old ones, like Benny Hill, Laurel and Hardy, Bill Hicks etc

What I find is that a whole generation or Irish Comedians try and fit the legend list mentioned above, and all that we the public get, is a feeble watered down version of really good comedy.

the only genuinely funny Irish comedian I like is Brendan Grace.
    However I do like killinascully and Pat Shorte on TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

Pretty poor tbh. Can't stand Tommy Tiernan or Ed Byrne.

The worst has to be Jason Byrne. That guy is just bloody useless. Saw him on 'The Panel' once and he started a 'joke' he didn't know how to finish so he just started shouting. Idiot.

Dylan Moran on the other hand, is excellent.

• Advertisement

Yeah Dylan Moran is great. Our best since Dave Allen.

I agree Dylan Moran has a touch of class about him.
    He sounds good too, has a great voice I think. Its Irish Charm and he is funny and tells stories that I like.

Tommy Tiernan is a weaker version of Dylan Moran.

Jason Byrne has his moments, Ed Byrne is CRAP tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 gabbngabby

The only Irish comedian I can think of is Kathy Griffin, and I just find her rather annoying most of the time. I do enjoy her show on Bravo though. Other than that I really cant name any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I have seen David McSavage about 4 times, on the street and in one or two clubs and got his dvd and believed that he was our best hope.

Doesn't seem to me here that you're a fan of Mc Savage:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56026781&postcount=317

Also, you don't like serious comedy and prefer silly stuff but you like Bill Hicks?

You went from really liking Jason Byrne to saying he has his moments a couple of posts later.

Your not being very consistant ya know

He's just a very bad troll. Leave him alone. He harming no one and it's an interesting topic.

• Advertisement

Hey all true.

However in the last post I actually found the users funnier than the topic if ya know what I mean.

I think there some of the people who post on threads ( especially in an argumentative stage ) can be hugely entertaining.

Hey thats just me though. I was just adding fuel to the fire on that one.

Hey so what if I like Bill Hicks and Benny Hill.
    I dont have to explain my guts up ya know. I like em both.

Pigman II wrote: »
    He's just a very bad troll. Leave him alone. He harming no one and it's an interesting topic.

I know, I'm just trying to give him some hints so that he can improve his trolling for later attempts. This kind of lame attempt is just so pitiful I had to try to help, even trolls should have some standards

Hey hint taken.

Adding fuel to the fire has to be done with Secret Agent expertise I know better now.

Sorry for breathing

Hey hint taken.

Adding fuel to the fire has to be done with Secret Agent expertise I know better now.

Sorry for breathing

"adding fuel to the fire" as you call it is trolling

Cool and the gang. Kinda new to all this.

:confused::pac::DComedy is hard to come by
    however some comedians have a sort of timeless quality about them
    that is just silly but remains funny.

Just so you know, we have a stand-up comedy forum

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=994

What does Benny Hill have to do with Irish stand up comedians today though, he was English

Cook thanks for that link

Yeah i have diverged a bit.
    Just an idea, its what i think is missing "in general".

I'm probably wrong, but then again I might be right. What forums and debates and ideas here is all about right.

I'm trying to put youtube tags i.e
    and wrap them around the youtube link.

Aint working. Do you know how it works????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Moved to Stand-Up Comedy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

some are ok, Dylan Moran is alright but his "oh im surly and proably drunk, ramble mutter mutter" act is getting very old, tommy tiernan? well id be funny too if i took as much coke as he does, jason byrne is a clown, resorting to picking on the audience is just poor and lazy comedy, if you have to rely on shouting at the audience that paid money to see you then you're an idiot, pj gallagher is responsible for naked camera and so doesnt deserve to be called a comedian, but the worst of the lot is Maeve whatsherface from naked camera, about as funny as being ass****ed by a rabid donkey while watching holocaust footage, "im from cork like and cant get a boyfriend like becuase im a dozy cow like and oh will you be my boyfriend like did i mention im from cork boy like like did like?" **** off!

strong views but equally valid:pac::pac:
    Saw PJ Gallagher and he was very funny tbh. Made me laugh!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Tommy Tiernan, Dara O Brien, Neil Delamare-Good

Andrew maxwell, Ed Byrne, Des Bishop,Jason Byrne-Bad

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lucy Lambourne

the only genuinely funny Irish comedian I like is Brendan Grace.

Aw dude...seriously???

The only genuinely funny Irish comedian is Dylan Moran. Dara O'B had his moments but he should be instantly disqualified for appearing on The Panel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Dara O Brian is hillarious. One of the funniest comedians out there, period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't think there's a lot of great ones at the minute. Dylan Moran is probably the best although I think he's slightly overrated by people.

Dave Allen is still the benchmark for Irish comics in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I think Dylan Moran and Dara O'Briain are legend. Saw Dara O'Briain live last night for the second time and he was just fantastic!

I absolutely HATE Ed Byrne. I've never seen someone less funny. God he just makes me wants to rip his eyes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

Dara o'brian is brilliant.
    I also like joe rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

fonpokno wrote: »
    I absolutely HATE Ed Byrne. I've never seen someone less funny. God he just makes me wants to rip his eyes out.

ah here thats a bit unfair, i saw ed byrne live (my first ever stand up gig) and he was very funny, his problem is the irish comedy scene is so good he falls into the background! if im being honest he is like a gateway comedian, the comedian you listen to/watch before you are fully into stand up comedy! on the panel he is way too forced but live he is goo, not amazing, but good !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Mweelrea wrote: »
    Dara o'brian is brilliant.
    I also like joe rooney

Was at the Sunday gig myself and have to I found it hilarious. Not a regular comedy goer but it was one of the best nights entertainment I've had in ages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I'm surprised so many people hate Ed Byrne, I think he is a great comedian.
    My favourite Irish comedian is Dara O'Briain though - both his stand up routine and television appearances are fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 southeastlady

I know you like Brendan Grace and I'm inclined to agree with you, as he did have a great show...once upon a time. But have you been to him recently?? Only does 5mins of that great "Bottler" character (which earned him all his readies, I suspect) and has been touring with a couple of dreadful opening performers. Some guy from Eurovision of 40+years ago, who looks like he'd prefer to be anywhere else, and a dreadful, accordeon player who has it all on a sequencer. Waste of a hard earned 30euros if you ask me.

Hey, that sound he gets at his shows is always brialliant, though. Anyone know who does it? (Some cool 40something dude with a moustache)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sweetmama

Glad to see that someone else out there thinks Brendan's shows are being ruined by that support act. He does have a few good ones. I was at one of his shows in Galway during the summer and he had a lady singer who played guitar. Wickedly good!!! My husband plays in a band and he kept saying how good the sound was, both for her and Brendan, so that must have been the same guy you mentioned. Brendan used to have Johnny McEvoy opening for him, but not recently, and that was a great night's entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Billy89

Hi Folks
    Was wondering what do you all think about current comedians doing the rounds in Irish Life today?

I have read a few links, namely David McSavage, Tommy Tieran and Ed Byrne.

Some are hated , some are loved, some are very good, some just ok or worse.

Please let me know what u all think.

Tommy Tiernan used to be great,but now he just does a lot of shouting.
    Seems like he doesn't put as much thought into his stuff as he used to..

Ed Byrne is just terrible!

Mcsavage is OK,but he's been doing the same stuff for years.

There's a few newer comedians who are really good,but haven't quite made it yet..
    Robbie Bonham is hillarious!! I've seen him loads of times and he cracks me up always..
    There was a guy around a while ago called Keith Anderson.. He was really original compared to a lot of Irish comedians.. He had this mad angry thing goin on.. His stuff was offensive,but brilliant!
    Anybody know what happened to him??!!

Billy89 wrote: »
    Tommy Tiernan used to be great,but now he just does a lot of shouting.
    Seems like he doesn't put as much thought into his stuff as he used to..

Ed Byrne is just terrible!

Mcsavage is OK,but he's been doing the same stuff for years.

There's a few newer comedians who are really good,but haven't quite made it yet..
    Robbie Bonham is hillarious!! I've seen him loads of times and he cracks me up always..
    There was a guy around a while ago called Keith Anderson.. He was really original compared to a lot of Irish comedians.. He had this mad angry thing goin on.. His stuff was offensive,but brilliant!
    Anybody know what happened to him??!!

Keith Anderson left the scene for a while but has recently started gigging again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Billy89

Cheers.. I just found him back on myspace.
    Deadly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

aaaaaaaaaaan-der-son son son
    he's a comedy magician
    ander- son son son
    he's as good as anyone
    to stage left, to stage right,
    under the comedy stage light
    he is class, kick your ass,
    and he sh*ts on fab-re-gas!! :D

Advertisement