Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Password Recovery

• 02-06-2008 5:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭

I'm supposed to do a thing in work for a guy who has forgotten his Windows log on password and wants me to recover it for him.
    I was emailed a bunch of files called Password Recovery Boot Disk and told to burn them to CD and then boot from the CD drive.
    This was the supposed to give me the option of changing the password.
    (See attached screen cap for the files I was sent)
    This I did as I decided to do it on my own laptop first to see if it works as I've never done it before.
    Even though the BIOS is set up to boot from the CD drive first, it doesn't work.
    I created a bootable CD in Nero with the files I was sent. When I booted it from the CD, it went to a DOS window and said "Starting Caldera DR-DOS"
    Then I just created a normal Data CD and booted for but that didn't work either, it just goes straight past it to Windows.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You've not attached any screenshot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭lukin

random wrote: »
    You've not attached any screenshot.

Bugger, sorry, I've attached it now. I actually downloaded the same program that I was sent in the email. The contents are the same apart from a file called "INITRD.GZ" which is in the version I d'loaded but not in the version I was given in the email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

you might not have created a proper boot cd by the sounds of it, your booting into caldera dos which is a free alternative to dos but the image attached shows that the files you have a linux based.

not sure what program you are using but i always use the one fround here.

http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

its great and works all the time (one the computer in question uses standard enough ide/sata/scsi devices)

you can download a zipped iso that you can burn to cd and boot from then use to reset the administrator password

dowload link for the iso is

http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/cd080526.zip

ZygOte wrote: »
    you might not have created a proper boot cd by the sounds of it, your booting into caldera dos which is a free alternative to dos but the image attached shows that the files you have a linux based.]

The ISO was emailed to me so I don't know if it was done right or not.
    Those files are Linux extensions so it's not going to work. When you create that ISO you have to enter a registration code to add the password removal feature so maybe he didn't do that.
    ZygOte wrote: »
    not sure what program you are using but i always use the one fround here.

http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

its great and works all the time (one the computer in question uses standard enough ide/sata/scsi devices)

you can download a zipped iso that you can burn to cd and boot from then use to reset the administrator password

dowload link for the iso is

http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/cd080526.zip

I'll try that prog, thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

just a reminder,
    Windows OS password resetting tools are OK
    because unencrypted NTFS offers no security from a dos 5 boot disk with a copy of ntfs4dos

password cracking tools are a big NO !

If you are in work why can't you use the domain or local administrators logon to reset the users password ?

• Advertisement

<snip>
    read my previous post - NO CRACKING !!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

<snip>

Dont post anything about breaking passwords again !

Advertisement