Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test - letter from company

Options
  • 02-06-2008 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi,

I want to apply for my test tomorrow, I have a letter from my company stating that need to drive to get to work (I DO! Place is in the middle of nowhere!!!) So anyway, Im just wondering - does anyone know how the whole application system thing works? As I now need to post (?) in this letter, do I therefore need to apply through the postal route also? As in can I apply online a nd then send inthe letter separate? (Where can I get the application form if posting in?)

The current wait in the area in 6 weeks I think, I need to get the test within 5 weeks in order to have it done (and hopefully passed) before I move away. So, realistically, will (should) the letter speed it up sufficiently so I will get it within 5 weeks do ye think/know???? I guess what Im asking is - when I send in the application form and the letter, are the opened, filed and then called in due time or are they just taken in and not opened until the can be processed? (In whicih case the letter would be kinda pointless so Im guessing its the former?)

(Btw, I have a provisional license since last Sept so the 6 months permit rule doesn't apply to me)

Thanks for reading! :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Kruk

I applied for my driving test online and I added my comments while filling out online application. I explained shortly that I need to sit my test asap because of work and I'm gonna post them letter. There's a field for notes like that. Then I sent them out a letter from my employer. It did work but to be honest with you I am not sure what sort of system they use to speed up driving tests for those who sent them letter from employer.

Probably the best thing is to ring them up and ask.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

Kruk wrote: »
    It did work but to be honest with you I am not sure what sort of system they use to speed up driving tests for those who sent them letter from employer.

Probably the best thing is to ring them up and ask.

:)

Thanks for the reply, Im a little confused though... Did u send the letter from the employer? (As in, what makes me different to you?) how quickly did you get the test? What was the average waiting time when you did it do u know?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I would advise you ring the RSA and ask them what the correct procedure is, they'll be able to tell you everything you need to know, i'm not familiar with the letter from employer side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

From my own experience, I downloaded the paper form and sent the letter with that around the end of April. Got an acknowledgement letter after the usual 10 days and then another one last week confirming a test on 17th June in Raheny - normally a place with a long list.

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    I downloaded the paper form and sent the letter with that

Thanks. sdonn, where did u download the form from? thats what Im looking for but can't seem to find it.... :confused: Its Raheny I'll be applying to (in the hope of actually getting Baldoyle, that is how that roughly works yea? Apply to main nearest RSA place and they assign to SGS due to where you live?)

The waiting list is down to 6 weeks in Raheny now anyway I think (or maybe it was 8 wks - can't rememeber now off the top of my head) I kinda need it in about 4 weeks so fingers crossed.... (that I get it and tehn that I PASS it!) :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

xeroshero wrote: »
    need to drive to get to work (I DO! Place is in the middle of nowhere!!!)
    I hope I'm not throwing a spanner in the works but the employer's letter used to be solely reserved for those who were required to drive as part of their work , rather than a means of getting to work.

It academic now anyway as the average waiting times are so short.

Thnaks for that. yep, letter states I need it for wokr - to travel from factory to factory if and when needs be.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Thanks. sdonn, where did u download the form from? thats what Im looking for but can't seem to find it....

From The Driving Test Website.
    :confused: Its Raheny I'll be applying to (in the hope of actually getting Baldoyle, that is how that roughly works yea? Apply to main nearest RSA place and they assign to SGS due to where you live?)

Spot on, 50/50 I'd say.
    The waiting list is down to 6 weeks in Raheny now anyway I think (or maybe it was 8 wks - can't rememeber now off the top of my head) I kinda need it in about 4 weeks so fingers crossed.... (that I get it and tehn that I PASS it!) :o

They gave me 5 weeks notice with a letter - although it's perfectly possible if not probable that they ignored the letter completely (or forgot about it) and just processed me as a normal applicant. Letter wasn't 100% legit anyway so I can't complain :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I rang them up, watied 20 minutes, got through to someone, explained that it's necessary for me for work and i had the test the following week. I think it depends on who you get through to.

Ok, so i sent the letter in on the 6th of june, (a friday) so a week ago. Just got a fone call, have tets on the 24th (a tuesday)!!! So thats just over two weeks.... ****t*ng it now BIG time! So not prepared!!! Need lessons everyday for the next 9 days!lol :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Just for anyone else wondering. You can apply online and send in your letter by post separately. Once you quote your booking reference they will look up your application and bump you up the queue if necessary.

Advertisement