Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Weird & Wonderful cars

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

how about the understated Hyundai XG25......every option under the sun. Nice on the eye, not too expensive to run and as reliable as any Jap car!!!! Oh, and its for sale ;)

Car.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

ninty9er wrote: »
    **BTW the tax isn't going to be any different on these....only VRT if you have to import...and at that VRT on the 2.0 petrol only increases from 30% to 32%.....tax will still be €590

you are right of course - thanks I forgot that. Its the 3.0v6 we'd be after though the missus has been bit by the auto bug.
    ojewriej wrote: »
    You have a point. But only because ypu haven't driven them - if you had, you would definitely call them weird.

i have driven the 126p and I still don't think its weird. Whats the big deal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

The Fiat126p is, essentially, an "eighties -isation" of the venerable (and revered) 500. Incidentally, would the 500 deserve an outing in this thread? Was quite the revolution in the day, and must have appeared "weird and wondeful" to most, before becoming a runanway success, no?!?

One more, 'cause I love cars, and quirky/highly-individualist ones most of all ;)
    I give ye: the Nissan Cube
    2007-los-angeles-auto-show-day-one-20061129084007319.jpg
    A few can be seen in the UK already. Lots in large US urban centres.
    (Funny how much Nissan stuff in this thread already, eh? Who'd have thought it! :D)

Actually... How could I forget (after my Mum ran hers nearly 10 years :eek:!)
    I give ye: the Renault Twingo
    img_7.jpg
    Fab car, the "90s 2CV". Loved driving it, and with PS and a decent 1.4 TD engine (e.g. the current one in the C4 Pluriel) it would be the perfect semi-urban runabout (IMHO).

Talking of which - my Mum replaced her Twingo with a C4 Pluriel indeed (1.4 TD), which I think has it's place in here too :D
    citroen%20c3%20pluriel.jpg
    Fab little thing too, this. 60+ to the gallon, 4 real seats in a mini-modular-convertible, with a real boot, and which moreover is cheap as chips to buy & run (well... in France at least!). After driving it extensively last summer, I'm seriously thinking of flogging both the Impreza and the MX-5 for one of these... Alright, maybe just the Impreza! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

RobAMerc wrote: »
    i have driven the 126p and I still don't think its weird. Whats the big deal ?

Not a big deal at all. I didn't know it has to be.
    ambro25 wrote: »
    A few can be seen in the UK already. Lots in large US urban centres.
    (Funny how much Nissan stuff in this thread already, eh? Who'd have thought it! :D)

I saw it not lang ago in Tallaght. Older model though. I was just after watching a feature on it on Top Gear, so it caught my attention. It doesn't look that good in real life to be honest. It is a very weird car all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭quattro777

Rear engined, rear wheel drive with a 3.5 or 4.3 litre 90º air-cooled V8

492_org-1.jpg

502_org.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think the Tatra T87 is far more weird and wonderful than the T700

VisserT87.jpg
    800px-Tatra_T87_silver.jpg

had the pleasure of seeing the second one in the flesh

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

There's an interesting story behind the Tatras.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatra_T97
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Ledwinka

Basically, Porsche (Ferdinand himself) was heavily "inspired" by the smaller Tatra T97, when he "developed" (i.e. copied, more or less) that other weird and wonderful vehicle:

1937%20KDF-Wagen%20proto%20replica-a1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'd read about Ferdinand copying from Tatra, but never in that kind of detail. Thanks for posting. The cross iron-curtain settlement in '61 is intriguing too

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Thanks peasant, I enjoyed that post too.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Amphicar-stuttgart-2005.jpg
    1963 Amphicar (yes, yes, it was a production car)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

there are of course the "Cummfy Banana" cars, made by Ed China.

Casual Lofa
    sofa_4.jpg

Street Sleeper
    bed_3.jpg

Bog Standard
    bath_2.jpg

Furry Ugg
    ugg_1.jpg

Balls
    pic_ball1.jpg

All are road legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Gotta love the Carver One...I know this thread is more for 4 wheeled vehicles, but the bike/car hybrid certainly fulfils both weird and wonderful, although perhpas not practical...

carver-one-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭SAABMAN

ojewriej wrote: »
    I oftne see one of these in the City Centre (Dublin). I acually thought it's a custom made thing for marketing purposes, as it has adds all over it.

Mother had, still kinda has one of these. Great fun to drive, surprisingly comfy bench seat, automatic, 1.5 petrol engine and no need for any test. NCT say its a van and DOE say its a car so neither of them would test it.
    Only 4/5 imported into Ireland. McDonalds have a fleet of them in England, I think.
    Oh, and I'll sell it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

SAABMAN wrote: »
    Mother had, still kinda has one of these. Great fun to drive, surprisingly comfy bench seat, automatic, 1.5 petrol engine and no need for any test. NCT say its a van and DOE say its a car so neither of them would test it.
    Only 4/5 imported into Ireland. McDonalds have a fleet of them in England, I think.
    Oh, and I'll sell it:D

OT I know, but I think we need a thread about nissan. How did they go from making cool cars the like Figaro or S Cargo (and were self confident enough to name it, and design it after a snail), the Z Coupes and extremely competent family cars like the Primera to bankruptcy and produce the tiida... while along the way making carzy stuff like the Murano and even the very original Quasqai. They are so full of contradictions.

That is my random muse over...

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

ssang-yong-rodius04.jpg
    Ugliest beast on the road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

What about these?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

junkyard wrote: »
    What about these?

You could carry me in a box away in one of those:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

highdef wrote: »
    how about the understated Hyundai XG25......every option under the sun. Nice on the eye, not too expensive to run and as reliable as any Jap car!!!! Oh, and its for sale ;)

Car.jpg

It is a Japanese car, the korean version of the mitsubishi Debonair.;)

this car appears to have every possible extra available 1990-93-Chrysler-Imperial-New-Yorker-Fifth-Avenue-90101261990618.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Mitsuoka galue 204, a retro toyota corolla
    mitsuokagalue204_lores_01.jpg

Advertisement