Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ignition barrel stuck - HELP!

Options
  • 02-06-2008 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Cant turn the key in the ignition in my Fiat Marea, steering wheel is locked too. Spend hours trying to turn the key and no luck. Had few problems with that b4 but not as bad as this time.

Any ideas? Would u know roughly how much would it cost to have it replaced?
    or do u know any tricks how to get it work again?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Have you tried the spare key??

This happened my dad's old Vectra, had to get a barrel from a scrapyard and have the car towed to have the barrell refitted, could be problematic in a car with an immobiliser though. you'd need the key recoded and you'd need separate keys for the ignition and other locks like in the days of yore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

AS ninty9er said, try spare key or alternatively, the key teeth spaces inside the barrell could have been twisted by repeated attempts with a wonky key.

OR someone may have tried to nick it and messed it up on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Turn the wheel and hold it away from the stop. While holding the wheel, try turning the key again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭maly07@poczta.o

Thanks for replys

Unfortunately got no spare key when bought it years ago, someone said wd40 might do the job but im not really sure about putting it into the ignition barrel.

I would prefer getting a new one but if its to expensive do u know any good scrapeyards around north dublin or fingal?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Did you try doing what I suggested?

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    Did you try doing what I suggested?

i did, no luck

while turning the steering wheel this thing just fell out:

DSC01276.jpg

from around there:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd203/PawelLyczbinski/DSC01273.jpg

whats that little metal bit?
    http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd203/PawelLyczbinski/?action=view&current=DSC01274.jpg

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm no Fiat expert, but there is a good chance your steering lock is fcuked or badly compromised.

Does the key look badly worn? It can happen, especially on older cars with no remote central locking as the key is used a lot more often.

Try the WD40, you won't do any damage - just don't let it drip onto the carpet or it will stink the whole car!

Found the spare key (cost me a 5 i think) that i had cut sometime ago but it was just supposed to open the doors if i loose the main one. Tried it and it works! Somehow i can start the engine with that key although i have to struggle to turn it 6 or 10 times.

At least i will be able to drive it to the garage!

thanks again for all ur help

Advertisement