Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perennial lawn weed

Options
  • 02-06-2008 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Does anyone know the name of the following weed and how to get rid of it without using chemicals - they are joining together on my lawn & not giving the grass a chance :

It's a low-growing rosette, very like a dandelion but it has furry/hairy serrated leaves. The flower is also dandelion-like but smaller, on a thin hard stalk 3/4 inches tall, sometimes one flower, sometimes several. The rosette of leaves is so low it's almost stuck into the ground & is unaffected by the lawnmower. Sorry no photo as can't get PC to accept picture card.

I have been trying to dig them out but there are HUNDREDS and if you leave one piece of root theycome up again.

Would be grateful for any environmentally friendly info !

Thanks

Maryxyz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 itsmedee

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Invincible

It sounds like Ribworth plantain.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Cats ear by the sound of it maryxyz, see here..... http://www.hainaultforest.co.uk/CatsEar.JPG
    Similar type of style weed to the dandelion.

Organic or cultural control.
    Arrow If you have just one or two dandelions in your lawn they can be dug out with a deep penetrating weed tool, but beware, you must not leave any of the root behind.
    Arrow Ensure your lawn is well fertilised as this promotes strong grass making it difficult for dandelions to become established.
    Arrow Do not have any bare exposed areas of soil in your garden, where dandelion seeds can take root, then spread to your lawn.

Control extract taken from the Irishgardeners.com article... Dandelion - Taraxacum officinale - Caisearrbhán

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭maryxyz

Thanks for your help, folks - I think the photo of cats ear looks right. Will try putting organic fertiliser on lawn and do some more digging ! Maryxyz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Sounds more like creeping dandelion to me, I have it in my garden too and its a bl**dy nuisance!

Try using a selective weedkiller based on 2,4-D or MCPA (wear a mask and protective clothing while applying), this should kill any broad-leaved weeds and leave your grass alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 itsmedee

2,4-D is been took of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭maryxyz

Thanks, Itsmedee and Mayoforsam - but as I don't want to use chemicals, it looks like I'll be digging all summer !

Maryxyz

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

itsmedee wrote: »
    2,4-D is been took of the market.

2,4-D was available last time I checked.
    Some of the products with a higher concentration of 2,4-D were removed from sale though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I use Verdone. It seems to kill everything except the grass. It does 'yellow' the grass for a couple of weeks, but after a dose or two, the weeds disappear.

That said, weeds do pop up in a different place every season - normal enough, I suppose - but Verdone does the trick every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I just use a combined moss,feed & weed 2 twice a year and Im weed free.
    The healthy grass smothers any weeds that try to come up...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

I know you want to use organic non chemical methods but in reality these will keep you very busy and you will end up frustrated and still have loads of weeds. I assure you the best way out of this will be to use a spray. If you use the right one you will keep the weeds at bay for about 2 years and will have a nice lawn abd be able to relax.
    MCPA will kill most broadleaf weeds but if you have deep rooted perenials like catear/dandelion the stronger CMPP(Duplosan) will be a better bet. 2 yr control i think.

Advertisement