Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decking Extension

Options
  • 02-06-2008 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone out there recommend a handyman or a reasonable landscaper, I am looking for someone to extend my decking around the side of the house ( Charlesland Court) as it is a mess around there. I had 2 different landcape guys in and they were looking for €1200 which I thought was a bit much for such a small area. Anyone else had this done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

it sounds a bit pricey. we live in a 3 bed mid-terrace in the park. we decked from the back door out to about a foot beyond the old paved patio area, all the way across from fence to fence and around the side of the house up to the wall underneath the downstairs bathroom. about 2.5k i think for wood and labour, and this was with a friend doing it for us. but we did buy really good wood under his advice and he did a great job.

we made sure he screwed down short planks over all the drains and the manholes so that they are still accessible should we have any problems. the other thing i would say is that we had a rat incident during the winter. we discovered holes dug underneath the decking where it meets the garden. we dug a trench along the full length and buried sturdy wire mesh nailed to the side of the planks to prevent them from burrowing under again. we also put mesh down each side of the deck. you just pull up the sections of fence and slide the mesh down.

so far so good, we're rat free.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

neets wrote: »
    it sounds a bit pricey. we live in a 3 bed mid-terrace in the park. we decked from the back door out to about a foot beyond the old paved patio area, all the way across from fence to fence and around the side of the house up to the wall underneath the downstairs bathroom. about 2.5k i think for wood and labour, and this was with a friend doing it for us. but we did buy really good wood under his advice and he did a great job.

we made sure he screwed down short planks over all the drains and the manholes so that they are still accessible should we have any problems. the other thing i would say is that we had a rat incident during the winter. we discovered holes dug underneath the decking where it meets the garden. we dug a trench along the full length and buried sturdy wire mesh nailed to the side of the planks to prevent them from burrowing under again. we also put mesh down each side of the deck. you just pull up the sections of fence and slide the mesh down.

so far so good, we're rat free.

I have the exact same holes at the edge of the deck - was wondering what that was. Rat poison will fix that I am sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

Wineman wrote: »
    I have the exact same holes at the edge of the deck - was wondering what that was. Rat poison will fix that I am sure.

we stuck loads of poison down - storm i think. checked the next day and it was all eaten. stuck another batch down and they didn't touch it at all. our next door neighbours went for the rat trap option and caught 2 fat rats! we assumed it was the same rats as we never had any problem since so i think the traps might be a bit more effective if you can stomach disposing of them - they are pretty big and ugly!! one had managed to drag itself about a metre across the lawn despite being snapped in half with the trap!!!

Advertisement