Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kayak-Advice?

• 02-06-2008 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭

Myself and two mates really want to get started and want to buy a kayak but need some basic advice.

Have been before and really enjoyed it, but its been a while.......
    We recently saw the advert for the sit on top Kayak in LiDl for sale this thursday. Would you recommend it for a beginner???

If you wouldnt recommend that one, what should we look out for?

How much would we need to spend to get started?

Where is best? In the midlands here

Any help appreciated

(Will be gettin professional lessons etc once we have em so will be thinkin of the safety aspect!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I've never been on an inflatable one but they seem to sag in the middle and I would assume there is a lot of drag. If you are only goin messing about on flat water then a sit on plastic one like this http://www.bicsportkayaks.com/kayaks/index.php?topic=ouassou&lang=us would be the most suitable, actually its probably ok on white water or at the beach aswell and they are pretty easy to paddle aswell. They are probably the best all rounders and they can handle loads of abuse, but you might want to invest in a couple if you want company.
    Fibre glass canoes are easiest to paddle and they are fastest but you have to make sure you can get out of the cockpit without panicing if it capsizes and anything you store in it will get wet, they are also quite fragile.
    longer sea canoes are great for long distance because of the rudder but are aqward to manoever.
    Shoe canoes are brilliant fun in the sea and on white water but are hell to try to paddle on the flat. if there are a couple of yous investing then have a look at the canadian canoe, they are great fun and can handle the white water too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

I wouldn't be using them open tops on white water, the same goes for the lidl ones this week. If your new to the sport try joining a club. It'll save you loads in gear and you'll get to know what you actuality need as many beginners will buy totally inappropriate gear. In the Midlands try Mullingar Canoe Club or the Inny Kayakers. Kayaking.ie also run beginners courses throughout the midlands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

KenHy wrote: »
    I wouldn't be using them open tops on white water, the same goes for the lidl ones this week. If your new to the sport try joining a club. It'll save you loads in gear and you'll get to know what you actuality need as many beginners will buy totally inappropriate gear. In the Midlands try Mullingar Canoe Club or the Inny Kayakers. Kayaking.ie also run beginners courses throughout the midlands.

I agree with that, If your new then the best bet is to join a club, outings are more fun with other people, youll get advice on different gear and its a lot safer plus youll probably be taught safety procedures and might even pick up the eskimo roll from someone(vital move in a kayak:D)

If you're close, than there's also Up River in Ballinasloe. They have boats to rent as well, so if you want to see what type of kayaking you want to do, they can help you decide.

Details on this page.

Also might be worth contacting your local Civil Defence. A lot of these groups have Water Rescue divisions, which use kayaks....

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭decdev

Bantry Bay Canoes is a good website for kayaks for sale just ordered one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

I was stuck on which Kayak to buy, it was over 25 years since I did kayaking on a regular basis, Dave at spirit craft kayaks in Ferns, Co. Wexford was a big, big help to me in helping me choose one, I ended up buying an emotion charger and a heritage redfish 12!, I went out to Morriscastle with Dave to try out the new heritage redfish 12 and I am delighted with it, can't wait to go out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Irish Wolfhound

there are a few sit ons for sale on gumtree.ie. I think they might offer a trail on the kayak. i think they are around the 300 mark

Sit ons can be used anywhere. However it is not recommended to go out kayaking alone.

Sits on are becoming more affordable. Sometimes cheaper than renting the stuff out. Other than that join a club. Good opportunity to see what kayak suits you best

Cheers Irish Wolfhound

Advertisement