Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus ticket refund

Options
  • 02-06-2008 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Recently bought Aer Lingus flights to eastern Europe for July, but plans have changed and can't go, if I cancel flight am I entitled to (or can I get) a refund?

It's under the one booking reference for two people, my mate is still going but I'm not, is it possible to cancel my itinerary off that booking fee and leave the mate untouched?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Zeppie

You can cancel one or more passenger/s on a booking and leave any other passengers flights as booked. As the Aer Lingus website says the fares are non refundable, only the taxes on the flights can be claimed but for this you have to pay an admin fee of 20e

"# Refunds are not permitted on Aer Lingus bookings with the exception of Premier Class bookings.

# Unused taxes are fully refundable on all bookings.

# Handling and booking fees are not refundable.

# A Refund Administration Fee of EUR 20.00 or equivalent per ticket will apply to each booking for tax refunds.

# Call the aerlingus.com Helpdesk"

I hope this makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ButlinSalesman

Thanks Zeppie,

I just found the same page there now. I nearly passed water when I saw the 20 euro admin fee. Are these people on the wacky tobaccy or what?

"We'll refund you your taxes, but we're gonna charge you for it" - marvellous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Zeppie

Tell me about it, sure to make any changes to either the fights or the passenger name you pay an arm, a leg and a lung!

Its complete and utter madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

The last couple of times I've needed to cancel Aer Lingus or Ryanair flights, I haven't catually bothered with the cancellation. You're not going to get any money back, and they're just going to re-sell the seat to someone else. At least if you don't cancel they don't end up getting paid twice for the same seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ButlinSalesman

Chuckle. I like your style! We'll fight them anyway we can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭yknaa

MOH wrote: »
    The last couple of times I've needed to cancel Aer Lingus or Ryanair flights, I haven't catually bothered with the cancellation. You're not going to get any money back, and they're just going to re-sell the seat to someone else. At least if you don't cancel they don't end up getting paid twice for the same seat.

:rolleyes: You will always get something back - even 20 or 30 quid depending. Hope you are not desperate to board a flight 'last minute' in the future only to find it booked out due to lack of re-sales

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

yknaa wrote: »
    :rolleyes: You will always get something back - even 20 or 30 quid depending.

Given that the fare part of your ticket is non-refundable, and there's an admin charge of 20 Euro per ticket on tax refunds, you're not going to get very much back.
    Hope you are not desperate to board a flight 'last minute' in the future only to find it booked out due to lack of re-sales

Any time I've been desparate to get a flight at short notice, I've found a way. Might have to pay through the nose for it, but I've managed it.

But I've been involuntarily denied boarding a flight I had booked months in advance due to overbooking, despite being at check in 90 minutes before departure.

Airlines overbook on the basis that a certain % of people will cancel. If no-one ever cancelled, overbooking wouldn't be practical. So in fact by not cancelling, not only am I preventing the airline reselling the seat, but I'm also helping end the practice of overbooking and helping ensure people who book their flights in a timely manner can actually get on the plane :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭f100zardoz

My wife and her three sisters booked return flights to new york in December to fly out on the 21st of march. On Christmas week my wife lost her job and rang today to cancel her flight. She was told that she will get refunded approx 40 euro from the 524 euro she paid. I got onto the phone to complain to be told this was part of the aggreed contract. This is a rip off plain and simple. If they resell that seat they will have got over 1000 euro for it. I feel a partial refund or some kind of credit would be the apropiate. If my wife can find someone to take her place they will charge 100EURO to change the name or if she wants to change the destination they will do that also for a fee of 100EURO EACH WAY = 200 euro to change destinations. I have to say these policies are an absolute disgrace!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have to say these policies are an absolute disgrace!!

Yes, but they are policies, and your wife agreed to them when she booked.

The reason she agreed to them, is if she had booked a fully flexible flight, she would have paid nearly 3 times as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just saw that this is a zombie thread - closed accordingly

dudara

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement