Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

IAM (Irish Advanced Motorists)

Options
  • 02-06-2008 9:47pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Quick question.. very much considering doing the IAM course. On a full driving license, got it first time, over a year now. Currently driving the parents car while I save up for something decent. Father has the IAM course done and it drove his insurance down and mine also.

Has anyone else done it? What are your thoughts on it and has it brought down your insurance by much?

I did a bit of searching but the topics on it are a few years old.. doesnt seem to a more recent one so I said id ask how it is now! :)

Comments?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Do it. It's good. 20% off your insurance too if you pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I did it, found it really good. It makes driving both more fun and less stressful. If you're the kind of person who's considering it then you're the kind of person who'll like it, if you know what I mean.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

What option did you go with? Is it better to go with the all inclusive or get an instructor in your area and deal with him/her instead?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Inclusive option worked fine for me. You need to be within reach of to Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd like to do this. Not to save on insurance or anything (work pay for that:D), but just for my own sake - how much is it, what's involved and how does one go about enlisting?

• Advertisement

I did it about 5 years ago, at the time the only place you could do it was Wexford/Waterford. It was an all-in package, 5 hours of classroom/driving, a bit of study and the actual test a week later. You'll need a copy of the UK police drivers handbook, it's called Roadcraft. You can get it on www.play.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

i have been saying I am going to do this for years now - this could be the kick in the *ss I need thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Interesting.. I too would be interested in doing this. Couple of questions!

How difficult is it to pass? I passed my full licence first time a couple of years ago after 6 months of driving.

Is there any expiry date (like the 10 year irish licence) or renewal thing. Also i see they've quoted for a year membership .how much is it for membership after you pass this.

Interesting.. I too would be interested in doing this. Couple of questions!

How difficult is it to pass? I passed my full licence first time a couple of years ago after 6 months of driving.
    It's not rocket science, if you're interested enough to do it then you'll pass. It's about reading the road ahead, as opposed to on-the-limit car control.

Is there any expiry date (like the 10 year irish licence) or renewal thing. Also i see they've quoted for a year membership .how much is it for membership after you pass this.
    Can't remember, I never renewed.:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GTC

You can renew any year you like. I did my test (Garda) in 1990 and only got my certificate issued last year for insurance!! I never bothered to check before then!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Why would you renew it? What difference does it make once you get the cert to show your an advanced driver?

Anan1 wrote: »
    It's not rocket science, if you're interested enough to do it then you'll pass. It's about reading the road ahead, as opposed to on-the-limit car control.

Can't remember, I never renewed.:o

Thanks i'll look into this. Also cheers for the roadcraft book tip ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Ive tried contacting them 3 times and have had no reply,i wouldnt mind but i could have organised a group for them to make it even more worthwhile.

Does anyone know is there a dublin based contact for them?

It's kind of like a club, you get magazines & so on. I think the idea is that membership is more about attitude than ability when driving. For example, one thing I found very helpful is the idea of the 'red mist'. Basically, when you're driving you should be constantly scanning your entire environment. Say someone does something stupid, and you get p1ssed off with them. If you let yourself get angry, you tend to focus on that car and stop scanning. This makes you extremely vulnerable to other hazards. Apparently it's a big problem for police drivers in pursuits, they get emotionally involved and stop driving 'rationally'.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Whatever about taking the test, I think every driver should get a copy of Roadcraft, study it well, and apply the system.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Whatever about taking the test, I think every driver should get a copy of Roadcraft, study it well, and apply the system.

Cheers..Just bought one from play ;)...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

esel wrote: »

+1

Was ordered to read it by my father when I got a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

There are two roadcraft books on play.com with police in the title. Anybody know which one is the one to get?

IAM have their own book "How to be an advanced driver". €12.

They also have a microsite http://www.iam.org.uk/irishadvancedmotorists/welcome.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

Anyone done this and Hibernian's Ignition course which is also administered by the Institute of Advanced Motorists?

sounds very similar in what is presented based on Anan's comment.

From what I can see, they're different (1994 & 2007) editions of the same book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Anan1 wrote: »
    From what I can see, they're different (1994 & 2007) editions of the same book.

Cheers, didnt spot that. the different titles threw me off.

Had to squint a bit myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I did the IAM test a few years back and Hibernian were the only people who'd recognise it. Even with the 20% discount I got from them, Quinn Direct were still miles cheaper so at the time... It was a waste of money for me. Think it cost around €200??

However, later Hibernian advised me to do the Ignition Course to which I said.. " Well, I've already successfully completed the IAM course?" which I was told wasn't good enough to get me discount.
    So, off I went to do the Ignition course and in the morning classroom session guess what was advertised as the next step after the ignition course if you wanted to Improve your driving???
    The IAM course.

Anyway, I flew through the Ignition course which was a piece of cake and instead of the standard 20% discount I got 30% which I was very happy with. I'm still with Hibernian now.

I'm going back to Hibernian after a few years with FBD, so I called the IAM today to renew my membership. I was told that, as my membership has lapsed for more than two years, i'll have to redo the test.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Wouldn't you still have the original certificate for when you passed?

That's all I submitted I think? :confused:

They know I passed, but they want me to pass again. Ah well, I suppose it won't do me any harm!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭klaus23

I hold an IAM: Advanced Drivers Licence.

While Roadcraft is the book that outlines the techniques used for the exam, you will want to buy the Pass Your Advanced Driving Test book. Back in the day when I did Ignition, they handed you the very same text when leaving.

People misconceive what the test really encompasses, because it teaches anticipation, awareness, technique and perception more than, say, lift-off oversteer. A lot of it has to do with hazard analysis such as reading the road ahead, going through a running commentary, watching under cars for children's feet which may run out in front of you, etc.

I would say that in monetary terms it has no real value as Irish insurers - except Hibernian - don't really allow for it and the Irish IAM doesn't have the clout to negotiate it's own deals, but I would say that it has saved my life countless times over, which cannot be measured.

The most dangerous thing you do on a daily basis is getting into your car and learning more about it is no harm. The IAM test is also unlike your driving test. You could be ask to talk about your car, you are expected to make progress where possible, you can overtake (within the speed limits) and you are - within reason and within the limits - permitted and sometimes expected to drive in a 'sporty' fashion.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't you still have the original certificate for when you passed?

That's all I submitted I think? :confused:
    Sorry, misunderstood your post the first time. My certificate is long gone, but I called IAM in the UK (I'm a UK member, as I passed before the Irish office was set up) - they'll renew my membership without my having to resit the test for €25.:)

Advertisement