Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

July=End of the CEOs Exec Saloon

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

+1 and ditto on dropping everything (road tax, vrt, 3rd party ins.) and lumping it on as one big fuel tax.

people seem to be forgetting that if they're commuters with a second car for the missus to ferry kids around in, then you're going to be paying a lot less to keep that running than you are currently.

if we're all about reducing emissions and the kyoto agreement then it's the only fair way to tax people proportionately to the damage they are causing and as has been said, it won't miss anyone out because they don't register their vehicle here.

if thats a problem then buy something more economical if you're doing a lot of miles.

as long as it's handled fairly and not just used as an excuse to tax the living sh1te out of people even more it will work out better for everyone in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

ninty9er wrote: »
    I've just come across a very interesting and inspiring measure in the VRT changes, (which explain the movement in our carpark recently)

From July 1st there will be no more capital allowances and tax deductions (tax write-offs) on vehicles emitting more than 191g/km, or the tax and insurance costs on them. My friend's dad seems fairly pissed off, but hey, it's probably not going to stop him buying a bigger, more guzzling monster next year. So there will be a severely increased expense to the self employed and companies providing company cars emitting above these levels. The GS450h is about the most powerful car of that type inside this band. All S-Class, A8, LS and 7 Series models fall well outside. Allowances are also reduced for vehicles between 155g/km and 191g/km as part of this measure

+1 for the little guy

+1 for the little guy my arse! Its another excuse to stifle any imagination out of the Irish car buying public and get as much cash as possible! So a few "greedy" execs won't be able to write off their A8 against tax. Even though they probably built the company from the ground up, pay hundred's of thousand's or millions in taxes through the business each year, and employ many people.

Did your small minded attitude consider maybe the people driving such nice cars are the "little guys" that have built up a business themselves? This type of green ****e annoys the hell out of me. Class war dressed up a caring for the environment is all it is, taking a pot shot at those that want to drive a big car, and making them pay more for it(like they don't pay enough allready.)

Makes me happy to be moving out of "dear old Ireland" soon with attitudes like yours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I would be completely opposed to any device that could monitor where we're going, not least because we could be caught for every time we exceed the speed limit by 0.1 km/h and get our 2 points and the fine, and on privacy grounds. This would be the nanny stateists' dream of course.

Tax the fuel, and make diesel a fair bit dearer than petrol.

Pollute more, pay more, simple as.

Road tax, VRT etc on emissions only encourages people to buy lower CO2 cars. It does nothing to encourage a reduction in car use, nor does it make any attempt to get people to drive in a more energy efficient manner.

Personally, I find watching the instantaneous mpg gauge is a great way of saving fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

E92 wrote: »
    Personally, I find watching the instantaneous mpg gauge is a great way of saving fuel.

I find it a very easy way to crash, you should be looking at the road ahead and not your dash:D

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

unkel wrote: »
    Indeed! And fair play to you for copping on. Now let's convince the rest of the nation. It might take a few of us to convince John Thicko Gormless though...

I've had that very conversation with Mr Gormless outside my house, he stood there dumbfounded and his advisor had to speak for him, a$$hole. Tax should be on the amount of fuel you use not on the engine capacity, it's very very simple, why should I be punished for driving a 3.2l petrol driving 10k a year when joe blogs in his 1.9 Mondeo is driving 60k a year, figures just don't add up who's polluting more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

astraboy wrote: »
    +1 for the little guy my arse! Its another excuse to stifle any imagination out of the Irish car buying public and get as much cash as possible! So a few "greedy" execs won't be able to write off their A8 against tax. Even though they probably built the company from the ground up, pay hundred's of thousand's or millions in taxes through the business each year, and employ many people.
    These people HAVE to pay business taxes, which don't apply to the rest of us, however that is NOT coming out of their pocket, it's coming out of their customers' pockets.
    Did your small minded attitude consider maybe the people driving such nice cars are the "little guys" that have built up a business themselves? This type of green ****e annoys the hell out of me. Class war dressed up a caring for the environment is all it is, taking a pot shot at those that want to drive a big car, and making them pay more for it(like they don't pay enough allready.)
    I don't buy that. Fair play if you have built up a multi million € business, but about time you were made to pay the same taxes as everyone else!
    Makes me happy to be moving out of "dear old Ireland" soon with attitudes like yours
    Good riddance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

ninty9er wrote: »
    These people HAVE to pay business taxes, which don't apply to the rest of us, however that is NOT coming out of their pocket, it's coming out of their customers' pockets.

I don't buy that. Fair play if you have built up a multi million € business, but about time you were made to pay the same taxes as everyone else!

Good riddance.

Strange attitude you have. Normally FF are pro business, after all it is business's that are the engine of the economy. Please explain how a guy building up his own business and getting a tax break on his car is taking money out of his customers pockets? Claptrap. But its grand, we'll all rip the seats out of our 4x4's for no reason other then to get commercial tax and avoid VRT, another stupid practice encouraged by your FF cronies for the past 15 years.

And yes they have to pay business taxes, its those taxes that are paying for th public services, but how does removing a tax break that made it benifical to own a business and maybe, just maybe buy a half decent car without being screwed over in this country make it "+1 for the little guy"? Making the rich poorer does not make the poor richer you must remember. Though with your stalinist logic I doubt you'd understand that. :rolleyes:

Business get tax breaks/low taxes to help them improve their profits and competitiveness. Taxing businesses more is not a good idea in these troubled time ahead and would be counter productive, making businesses less profitable, forcing them to down size. Business people do not have the same job security and have many more responsibilities then those just as employees, so forcing everyone to pay the same taxes is again counter productive and a very small minded attitide and view to have. Our low corp tax has attracted huge investment in Ireland as you should know. Maybe if Ireland was not such a rip off we would not need such tax incentives?

And I reckon I'll be very happy in the UK, at least UK politicans have the backbone(read, backbone, not something FF have) to resign when they are found out to be corrupt bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Take it to the politics forum, you two :D

closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement